Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 09:55 AM

7,501 posts, read 4,348,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveRodeo View Post
Not necessarily "missing the point". If someone likes to "open carry" or "conceal" that's entirely up to them, but, not all states allow it and probably for good reasons.........I don't know. Also, there are those that don't feel comfortable seeing "open carry", so they should live somewhere where it doesn't happen. Concealed doesn't bother most people, because a firearm isn't outright showing.

It might be hard to understand that there are those on both sides of the issues, including states that "approve" and those that don't.
You got it!!!

So I guess the bottom line is that if you like restrictive gun laws then you're better off living in a state that has them. Instead of moving into a state that respects the right of it's citizens to carry how they see fit.

It's not hard to understand that there are both sides to this issue or any other issue for that matter. We're a divided country that's not likely to change anytime soon. If you want to be happy you're better off living in a state that more closely aligns with what you believe in. Then moving to another state that by and large rejects what you believe in and then try to change it to your liking. By voting for politicians that legislate according to your agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 10:06 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,362,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
You got it!!!

So I guess the bottom line is that if you like restrictive gun laws then you're better off living in a state that has them. Instead of moving into a state that has lenient gun laws and respects the right of it's citizens to carry how they see fit.

It's not hard to understand that there are both sides to this issue or any other issue for that matter. We're a divided country that's not likely to change anytime soon. If you want to be happy you're better off living in a state that more closely aligns with what you believe in. Then moving to another state that by and large rejects what you believe in and then try to change it to your liking. By voting for politicians that legislate according to your agenda.
Change is what happened to Denver and most of the Western Slope aka Front Range. There are those, mainly young people from wherever, that like, and even love, the changes, than there are the others, main Seniors, that don't. Many things were much different when we lived here before and it was quite shocking to see some of the changes when we moved back.

We never wanted to change where we lived in Florida, that's why we only wore our western attire a few times in 10 1/2 years. Living where we are now, wearing western attire isn't nearly as "off beat" as it was in Florida, but if my wife wears her cowboy hat, she's the one that can get the "looks", because it's just not that popular anymore............except for at a rodeo or nightclub.

Old 02-27-2022, 03:38 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Change is what happened to Denver and most of the Western Slope aka Front Range. There are those, mainly young people from wherever, that like, and even love, the changes, than there are the others, main Seniors, that don't. Many things were much different when we lived here before and it was quite shocking to see some of the changes when we moved back.

We never wanted to change where we lived in Florida, that's why we only wore our western attire a few times in 10 1/2 years. Living where we are now, wearing western attire isn't nearly as "off beat" as it was in Florida, but if my wife wears her cowboy hat, she's the one that can get the "looks", because it's just not that popular anymore............except for at a rodeo or nightclub.
it's still within the realm of "normal" to wear Western gear in Santa Fe, just FYI. There are stores in and around downtown that specialize in that. Cowboy hat stores, fancy boot stores. Santa Fe plays up the cowboy theme, the Native American theme (art and jewelry, especially), and the Hispanic theme especially with restaurants.

Old 02-28-2022, 03:22 PM

3,408 posts, read 4,628,760 times
Quote:

Why do you care about what other people think? Just stop. Wear what's comfortable, be yourself and be based. I see people in Arizona wear cowboy/western attire and don't bother them. At least they're dressing classy unlike some people that go shopping at Walmart in pajamas and slippers.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:52 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,796,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
not all states allow it and probably for good reasons.........I don't know.
No you don't. There a very little difference in gun crime between the states that do and don't. It is all about the liberal states and their unreasonable restrictions. Expect that to change with the next Congress/Administration as Constitutional Carry becomes a National Right (finally)

Old 03-02-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
No you don't. There a very little difference in gun crime between the states that do and don't. It is all about the liberal states and their unreasonable restrictions. Expect that to change with the next Congress/Administration as Constitutional Carry becomes a National Right (finally)
The Supreme Court recently heard a case brought by the New York State Rifle & Pistol Association challenging New York's arbitrary and capricious handgun licensing system. What will be decided is whether citizens have the right to carry a handgun outside the home for self protection. A right that most states recognize in some way or another.

21 states have Constitutional Carry such as we have here in Arizona. Where a permit is not required to carry open or concealed. 21 state's issue "shall issue" permits where a permit is required by law to carry a handgun either open or concealed. "Shall issue" means that they can't deny anyone who is not a prohibited possessor as described by federal or state law from obtaining a permit to carry a handgun for any lawful purpose.

8 state's of which New York is one of issue "may issue" permits where it's left up to some bureaucrat (licensing officer/county judge) to decide whether an individual will be allowed to carry or even possess a handgun. Regardless if they are not a prohibited possessor as described by federal or state law. This makes it nearly impossible for the average law abiding citizen to obtain a permit to carry a handgun in public.

New York State issue's restricted, full carry and premises only permits. Restricted permits are typically for target shooting/hunting and restricted to just that outside the home. Full carry permits are unrestricted and good throughout the state except for New York City. Premises only permits means that the handgun(s) can only be kept on the premises such as a home or place of business. The licensing officer/county judge will determine what type of permit will be issued. If you live in a county that has a pro gun licensing officer/county judge there's a good chance that you may get an unrestricted permit. With that permit you can carry unrestricted even in counties that only issue restricted permits. If you live in a county that only issues restricted permits those permits are restricted throughout the state even in counties that issue unrestricted permits. The exception is New York City where a New York State permit is not recognized.

Typically the only people that get a full carry (unrestricted permits) are the politically well connected, active and retired law enforcement and of course the rich and famous. Finally the Supreme Court agreed to hear the case filed by the New York State Rifle & Pistol Association challenging this arbitrary and capricious system. A ruling is expected in June. By all indications it looks to be in our favor.

What this means is that the 7 other states along with individual cities and municipalities that deny their citizens the right to carry a handgun for self defense outside of their residences will be unconstitutional. I don't think that it will in any way change whether a permit will be required or not in states that require one. Just that they will not be able to deny anyone who is not a prohibited possessor as described by federal or state law from obtaining a permit to carry a handgun in public without any just cause. Such as they do in New York State and 7 other states.

It seems to me that this will also mean that as long as an individual is not a prohibited possessor as described by federal or state law. They should be able to lawfully carry anywhere in the United States except where it's posted or in sensitive places where it's already illegal to carry a firearm. But until the Supreme Court rules on this we won't know the details of how this will work regarding reciprocity between states that require their residents to have a permit and those that don't.

Because of state's rights I don't think that there will ever be Constitutional Carry nationwide regardless of which political party is in power nationally. Only if it happens on a state by state basis. A favorable ruling by the Supreme Court could certainly provide impetus for this. But there will always be a few holdouts.

Here's a list of state by state concealed carry permit laws:
Quote:
Which states are constitutional carry?
www.gunpowdermagazine.com › who-will-pass Who Will Pass Constitutional Carry in 2022?
Dec 29, 2021 · There are now 21 Constitutional Carry states and, depending how things turn out in 2022, gun owners could soon see half the nation no longer requiring a permit

Old 03-02-2022, 07:36 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,796,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post

Because of state's rights I don't think that there will ever be Constitutional Carry nationwide regardless of which political party is in power nationally. Only if it happens on a state by state basis.
We're on the same side, but I disagree on this and here's why: The other amendments to the Bill Of Rights are not restricted by which state you are in...... Imagine if I were in Arizona and had free speech and the right to assembly and as soon as I crossed the line into California I lost those rights.....? I see the 2nd Amendment as exactly the same. There should be a national and reciprocal right to carry in every state......

Old 03-03-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
We're on the same side, but I disagree on this and here's why: The other amendments to the Bill Of Rights are not restricted by which state you are in...... Imagine if I were in Arizona and had free speech and the right to assembly and as soon as I crossed the line into California I lost those rights.....? I see the 2nd Amendment as exactly the same. There should be a national and reciprocal right to carry in every state......
Unfortunately when it comes to the 2nd Amendment they are indeed restricted. With a valid Arizona concealed weapons permit or not having one just try going into California, Connecticut, DC, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington* and getting stopped carrying a loaded handgun that you're allowed to legally own and carry in Arizona. Or get caught in state's that have magazine restrictions with a high capacity feeding device (magazines that hold over 10 rounds) that's perfectly legal in Arizona. Believe me, I don't like it one bit but that's how it is. It's not a matter of disagreeing with it or not.

I agree 100% that: "there should be a national and reciprocal right to carry in every state......" But as of now there isn't because of state's rights. Hopefully come June the Supreme Court will rule in our favor that the right to carry a loaded weapon for any lawful purpose extends outside the home. That alone will render many state and municipal gun laws as unconstitutional. There's just too many God damn gun laws that serve absolutely no purpose other than to entrap otherwise unsuspecting law abiding people. Unfortunately the fight will not be over in spite of a favorable ruling.

However there's gonna' be a lot of crap that's gonna' have to be ironed out. Like how a favorable ruling will affect reciprocal agreements and how they apply to individual state's gun laws? As it is now if you live in a Constitutional Carry state and don't have an optional permit from your home state you will not be able to lawfully carry in a state that require's its residents to have a permit. That's just one of the many reasons to get a permit in your home state if available. If you live in a Constitutional Carry state like Vermont that doesn't issue optional permits you're s**t outta' luck carrying in state's that require their residents to get a permit. You don't even have the option of obtaining a permit for reciprocity with other state's that require permits.

When carrying in another state that honors your home state's permit you must abide by that state's particular gun laws. Some state's that honor an Arizona permit may have magazine restrictions or like New Mexico that limits you to carrying one loaded firearm on your person.

But if you live in a state that requires a permit to carry a handgun in public you'll still have to get a permit. I doubt that will change. Except the state will not be able to deny it's residents a permit without having any verifiable just cause. Fortunately for us we live in a Constitutional Carry state and don't have to deal with that bureaucratic BS.

If it were up to me the only guns laws that we should have are for both the criminal and negligent misuse of firearms, THAT'S IT. We already have those laws, hundreds if not thousands of them. People that are not prohibited by federal law for possessing firearms should be able to travel and carry freely without the fear of getting arrested running afoul of some federal, state or municipality's asinine gun laws. Gun laws that have absolutely no affect on criminal or negligent behavior.

*https://www.concealedcoalition.com

Quote:
A New Mexico Concealed Handgun License (CHL) or a permit from a state that New Mexico honors is required to carry a concealed, loaded firearm on foot. State law limits concealed carry license holders to carrying one gun at any given time.
http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog...-need-to-know/
New Mexico Gun Laws: What You Should Know - USCCA
Quote:
gunlawsuits.org › gun-laws › vermontVermont Gun Permit | GLS Shooting
Vermont Gun Permit Summary. Vermont does not issue a gun permit for the possession of firearms in the state. It is a permitless carry state. https://gunlawsuits.org/gun-laws/vermont/gun-permit/

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 03-03-2022 at 11:30 AM..

Old 03-03-2022, 01:40 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,362,856 times
Well, this thread went from a possible, but no longer possible, move to Prescott, to 2nd Amendment things. For now, it looks like we could stay in Colorado, but live somewhere else.

Old 03-03-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
Well, this thread went from a possible, but no longer possible, move to Prescott, to 2nd Amendment things. For now, it looks like we could stay in Colorado, but live somewhere else.
Indeed the State of Arizona especially Prescott and Yavapai County respects the 2nd Amendment rights of its citizens. These are things that you should be aware of if you've considered moving here. Some people openly carry a sidearm while going about their daily business. It's perfectly legal here and throughout the state. It rarely if ever gets any unwarranted attention as people are used to it and don't freak out over it. If you're uncomfortable with that then perhaps this is not the place for you? It's a great big wonderful country, there's a place for just about everyone.

Most of the people here feel very strongly about their 2nd Amendment rights and justifiably so. If not 5 counties wouldn't have first declared themselves as 2nd Amendment sanctuaries including Maricopa, Arizona's most populous county. The entire state soon followed suit. Our county sheriff as were other county sheriffs in full support of that proclamation.

I was fully aware of Arizona's lenient gun laws and commitment to the 2nd Amendment well before we moved here. In fact it was just one of the many reasons why we chose Arizona over other state's in the Southwest. Now that we're here I along with many others are gonna' fight like hell to keep it that way.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 03-03-2022 at 02:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott