Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 01:35 PM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveRodeo View Post
Well, we sure aren't against firearms. My 74 year old wife has a Smith & Wesson 9mm handgun and a Ruger 10/22 we both shoot at a range. Not totally against "Concealed", but neither of us really want to see "open carry" and that is our choice. People don't have to agree with that choice, but there are many choices people make that others disagree with, including having smokers as friends.

Now, when it comes to motorcycles, I've had two Kawaski's and surgery (screws) on left ankle from a solo accident on one. When I first met my wife, my sole transportation was Kawaski 650 4-K (four pipes into one). I rode it everywhere and even in rain. Had raingear for that. I took my wife to work one time on it and co-workers asked her "are you a motor mama now?".

When we lived in Jacksonville, Florida, there was a Harley Dealer near us. Twice a year they would have a Night Ride, lead by JSO (Jacksonville Sheriff's Office) Motor Officer and patrol SUV and car, with a couple of Motor Officers taking up the rear. We would be across the street at Denny's watching these beautifully lite-up bikes come streaming out of the Dealer headed to the freeway. And, one time, while eating breakfast at the same Denny's, we met and talked to some Buffalo Soldier MC that were there. They were very, very nice!

Due to the kinds of winters we can get here in northern Colorado, very little motorcycle riding done here in winter. But, if the weather is nice, and somewhat warm, like it will be next Thursday (60), they will be "out and about", but not a whole lot of them. There is a Harley Dealer on the other end of this city, by the freeway. They have a Harley Gathering each summer and boy to the local Harley riders show up. No problems that we've ever heard of.

If I was to ever, which will never happen, get another motorcycle, it would be a Honda Goldwing. I gave up my motorcycle license in 2008.
Myself, for strategic reasons I don't open carry in public as I don't want anyone to know that I'm armed. But that's besides the point. Some people for whatever reasons they have choose to open carry. It's perfectly legal and that's their right at least here in Arizona. It's not for me to say whether they should or should not open carry. At any rate it doesn't bother me at all. I just thank God that I don't have some government official making that choice for me.

I had a concealed weapons permit when I lived in New York. Back there concealed meant just that CONCEALED. If the wind came and blew open my jacket while I was out and about in public, someone saw my gun, got all bent out of shape over it and called the cops I could be detained, have my permit revoked and my handgun(s) confiscated. But at least I wouldn't be charged with the illegal possession of a weapon.

There's a lot of things that I don't want to see either but as long as it's perfectly legal I have no right to tell them what they should or shouldn't do. I can't stand seeing bumper stickers/signs/clothing with slogans that I vehemently disagree with. But that's their right just as I have the right to put bumper stickers on my vehicle, place signs on my property or wear clothing with slogans that they vehemently disagree with. In a free country you can't have it one way.

I've yet to see anyone who's openly carrying a sidearm bothering or threatening anyone. They're just going about their daily business just like everyone else. As I mentioned earlier open carry has been perfectly legal here since I believe Arizona first became a state in 1912? Some people are just used to openly carrying a sidearm as it was once the only legal way to carry, they've carried that way well before concealed carry became legal here.

You can't compare open carry to smoking. Smoking is an unhealthy, disgusting, filthy habit. I too have friends that smoke. I just don't want to be around them when they light up. Sometimes you just can't avoid people who smoke. In which case there's no way to avoid breathing in their cigarette smoke. Holstered guns do not give off noxious fumes or vapors that others are forced to breathe. If just the sight of a holstered gun bothers you then you must be bothered by seeing a law enforcement officer's weapon as well?

You say that you're not "totally against concealed?" Which to me means that you're somewhat not really in favor of it either? Like I stated earlier Arizona is officially a 2nd Amendment sanctuary state. Obviously the people who live here like it that way. Arizona also has a very specific clause in its state Constitution regarding the bearing of arms:
Quote:
"The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men."---Excerpt from the Constitution from the State of Arizona. Section 26. Bearing Arms.
What I've found in Arizona is that for the most part people are pretty much free to do as they please as long as they are not committing crimes or physically harming anyone else, as it should be. If you plan on moving here you'd better get used to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 03:19 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,362,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Myself, for strategic reasons I don't open carry in public as I don't want anyone to know that I'm armed. But that's besides the point. Some people for whatever reasons they have choose to open carry. It's perfectly legal and that's their right at least here in Arizona. It's not for me to say whether they should or should not open carry. At any rate it doesn't bother me at all. I just thank God that I don't have some government official making that choice for me.

I had a concealed weapons permit when I lived in New York. Back there concealed meant just that CONCEALED. If the wind came and blew open my jacket while I was out and about in public, someone saw my gun, got all bent out of shape over it and called the cops I could be detained, have my permit revoked and my handgun(s) confiscated. But at least I wouldn't be charged with the illegal possession of a weapon.

There's a lot of things that I don't want to see either but as long as it's perfectly legal I have no right to tell them what they should or shouldn't do. I can't stand seeing bumper stickers/signs/clothing with slogans that I vehemently disagree with. But that's their right just as I have the right to put bumper stickers on my vehicle, place signs on my property or wear clothing with slogans that they vehemently disagree with. In a free country you can't have it one way.

I've yet to see anyone who's openly carrying a sidearm bothering or threatening anyone. They're just going about their daily business just like everyone else. As I mentioned earlier open carry has been perfectly legal here since I believe Arizona first became a state in 1912? Some people are just used to openly carrying a sidearm as it was once the only legal way to carry, they've carried that way well before concealed carry became legal here.

You can't compare open carry to smoking. Smoking is an unhealthy, disgusting, filthy habit. I too have friends that smoke. I just don't want to be around them when they light up. Sometimes you just can't avoid people who smoke. In which case there's no way to avoid breathing in their cigarette smoke. Holstered guns do not give off noxious fumes or vapors that others are forced to breathe. If just the sight of a holstered gun bothers you then you must be bothered by seeing a law enforcement officer's weapon as well?

You say that you're not "totally against concealed?" Which to me means that you're somewhat not really in favor of it either? Like I stated earlier Arizona is officially a 2nd Amendment sanctuary state. Obviously the people who live here like it that way. Arizona also has a very specific clause in its state Constitution regarding the bearing of arms:

What I've found in Arizona is that for the most part people are pretty much free to do as they please as long as they are not committing crimes or physically harming anyone else, as it should be. If you plan on moving here you'd better get used to that.
Well, different people have different likes and dislikes. Some will say, "it's none of your business what someone else does". We agree and disagree with that. As for law enforcement, we are totally 100% FOR the men in blue. When I worked in EMS (ambulance) in both Los Angeles County and Orange County California, I worked right beside different law enforcement agencies. They have a very tough job to do and, even though there are some bad officers, there sure are plenty of good ones.

When I hear of someone complain about what an officer does, I will say "so, what would you do if you were him/her?" and that question can be very tough for some to answer.

My SIL (wife's sister) doesn't like firearms at all. Can't even show her ammo with her getting upset.

Like I've already said, and guess have to keep saying, we've never lived anywhere where "open carry" was done and it would frighten us. Perhaps our age causes this, really don't know.

As of now, we don't know of anyone that smokes cigarettes............and very glad of that. During the summer, if a car is sitting next to us and occupants are smoking, we will roll up our windows. Just can't stand the smell.

So, anyway, perhaps Prescott isn't for us. Better to find out things now, that we quite possibly wouldn't like, than to move there and find out. Heck, Arizona itself quite possibly might not be for us, but there are other places to live. Hopefully we can find out more about some places from this forum instead of spending money to fly to the place and then find out we don't necessarily like it.

Old 02-24-2022, 03:44 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post

I don't see why anyone would be against something so simple, and promotes freedom of choice without coercion.

Old 02-24-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Well, different people have different likes and dislikes. Some will say, "it's none of your business what someone else does". We agree and disagree with that. As for law enforcement, we are totally 100% FOR the men in blue. When I worked in EMS (ambulance) in both Los Angeles County and Orange County California, I worked right beside different law enforcement agencies. They have a very tough job to do and, even though there are some bad officers, there sure are plenty of good ones.

When I hear of someone complain about what an officer does, I will say "so, what would you do if you were him/her?" and that question can be very tough for some to answer.

My SIL (wife's sister) doesn't like firearms at all. Can't even show her ammo with her getting upset.

Like I've already said, and guess have to keep saying, we've never lived anywhere where "open carry" was done and it would frighten us. Perhaps our age causes this, really don't know.

As of now, we don't know of anyone that smokes cigarettes............and very glad of that. During the summer, if a car is sitting next to us and occupants are smoking, we will roll up our windows. Just can't stand the smell.

So, anyway, perhaps Prescott isn't for us. Better to find out things now, that we quite possibly wouldn't like, than to move there and find out. Heck, Arizona itself quite possibly might not be for us, but there are other places to live. Hopefully we can find out more about some places from this forum instead of spending money to fly to the place and then find out we don't necessarily like it.
Maybe visit the area first before making decisions. You never know, your impression might change.

Old 02-24-2022, 06:38 PM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Quote:

Well it is one great big wonderful country. There's a place for just about anyone. It's just that if you're moving to a different state don't try and change your adopted state into the place that you've just left. In which case you really had no business moving at all. That being the case I don't see how anyone would be happy? We (wife and I) moved to Arizona because it checked all of the boxes and we love the Great American Southwest. I couldn't imagine and have absolutely no desire to live anywhere else. Back in New York we were like fish outta' water living in a hopeless situation. It wasn't living, it was existing.

Before we moved we made several trips out here to several different places throughout the state. We also subscribed to the local newspapers from those locations. We spent about 3 years of our spare time finding out all that we could about Arizona, Utah and New Mexico. Arizona was always at the top of our list. When we finally arrived we wanted it to be as if we were born and raised here. Now that we've lived here we finally have a true sense of belonging. It's as if we really were born and raised here.

Actually it really is nobody else's business what other people do as long as they're not committing any crimes disrupting other people's lives and minding their own business. Individuals who are LAWFULLY carrying a firearm either open or concealed for any lawful purpose are not a threat to anyone or disrupting other people's lives. The key word here is LAWFULLY. We already have laws that address both the criminal and negligent misuse of firearms. Those who violate and abuse those laws are dealt with accordingly. Those are the people that end up having problems with law enforcement and as such loathe, despise and disrespect them.

I never lived anywhere other than Arizona where open carry was legal either. I've visited Vermont where it's always been legal. Even before I ever owned a firearm I never considered it to be that big of a deal. Firearms are inanimate objects. They don't have minds of their own or supernatural powers that compel people to go out and murder other people or commit crimes. The Happyland Fire in 1990 killed 87 people with what was a dollars worth of gasoline at the time, a container and a match. That's 17 more than what Paddock killed with a bunch of AR-15's equipped with bump stocks, thousands of rounds of ammunition, firing into a crowd of 22,000 from a hotel window. Yet no one bats an eye when they see someone carrying a container of gasoline? After all no one knows what they intend to do with that gasoline? 9/11/01 was carried out with box cutters. Oklahoma City with fertilizer and diesel fuel.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 02-24-2022 at 07:08 PM..

Old 02-25-2022, 01:35 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,870 times
Quote:

So, anyway, perhaps Prescott isn't for us. Better to find out things now, that we quite possibly wouldn't like, than to move there and find out. Heck, Arizona itself quite possibly might not be for us.
At first I thought Prescott and AZ might be a good match for you, but if you're so 'triggered' by guns, definitely don't move here.....they are all over the place. I love it, one of the reasons the missus and I moved here.

I can't see why age would have anything to do with being frightened by the sight of guns....
If anything, an older person should welcome the presence of guns because the typical senior is more helpless than younger people...

Old 02-25-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
At first I thought Prescott and AZ might be a good match for you, but if you're so 'triggered' by guns, definitely don't move here.....they are all over the place. I love it, one of the reasons the missus and I moved here.

I can't see why age would have anything to do with being frightened by the sight of guns....
If anything, an older person should welcome the presence of guns because the typical senior is more helpless than younger people...
We own firearms, so we can't be afraid of them. But, we've never lived somewhere that the public had firearms out in the open/in public. Don't know how old you are, but we are in our (almost) mid 70's). And, when a person has never lived among "open carry", it could be scary...........for some, that is.

And, just like one of our long-time friends told us, " "open carry" can be a target for someone going into somewhere to rob the place. The criminal could see someone's firearm and shoot them, or at them, the very first thing."

The #1 reason for us to move to someplace is......interest in rodeo and the wearing of western clothing. There are other reasons, but, basically, that's #1.

And, we express our feeling about "open carry", you certainly don't want to meet/talk to, my wife's 78 year old sister. She doesn't like firearms at all. I showed her my wife's Smith & Wesson 9mm and she freaked. "Get that thing outta my sight". Then, I showed her a 9mm bullet and she done the same thing.

I don't think anyone in my wife's family has a firearm. My 1/2 brother does and talks very "macho" about having it and what he'd do with it if he had to. We go to the local range, when we can. We're not against hunting, but don't do it ourselves. Fishing, yes, but not hunting.

Old 02-25-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post

That's a good point, I actually feel safer when around people who know how to handle a firearm and have the necessary training and experience. I don't own any firearms myself, but shot them while in the US Navy way back in the 2000s. Been looking at the Glock Gen7 9mm as my first pistol.

I'm familiar with the OP coming from northern Colorado, I've lived there myself growing up in the 1990s and early 2000s. Open carry isn't as popular anywhere along the front range metro area since it's largely a suburban and urban corridor. It's not a part of their culture or the lack of education. Too many Californians and outsiders moved there during the last 2-3 decades, it shows politically. Their 2nd Amendment open carry laws in Colorado are so anomalous that they're based on local city/county and not statewide like Arizona. Until it changes up there, crime will continue to rise.

Old 02-25-2022, 03:42 PM

979 posts, read 538,618 times
I guess I was referring more to the freight trains of bikes that come up from the Valley on the weekends. In general the weather and terrain is very compatible with riding motorcycles both on and off road. I meant that as well I guess.

Old 02-25-2022, 03:44 PM

Now, my question, concerning "open carry" is..........which states/cities have benefited (lowered crime) due to "open carry" and which have not? So, just how is Prescott's, and other cities in Arizona, like Tuscon, crime stats look like, since Arizona is an "open carry" state.

Lots of advocates for "open carry", but just how has it decreased crime in cities??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott