Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 09:33 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I received my first deck when I was 18. I was told that your first deck should be given to you (I don't know how true that is). I was at my then boyfriend's house. He was renting a room from this guy. I don't recall the reason but the owner of the house had a drawer open in the living room and I noticed a deck in there (Rider-Waite deck). I made a comment about the first deck should be given to you, so the guy took the deck-along with the book that went with it, handed them to me and said, "Here is your first deck." Even though it wasn't given to me as a special gift or anything, I was pretty happy with it.

I used those cards for decades. They got bent, and was pretty hard to use. I figured it was time to replace them. The store I went to was pretty limited on what they had. I bought a deck that were pretty (I can't remember which one it was). I loved the artwork but the cards were too big for my hands and the booklet that came with it didn't give me much help. But then I found MY deck (what else?) Tarot of The Cat People. I gave the other deck to my niece (her first deck). It never occurred to me to have more than one deck. I have given others their first decks-including my step-daughter who chose the Robin Wood deck. Somewhere along the way I picked up the Medieval Cat Tarot-but because of the color (not much contrast), these cards are really hard for me see.

I have acquired other cards-Titania's Fortune Cards, which I really like, Oracle cards, & The Lakota Sweat Lodge Cards (given to my by a former colleague of my husband-a college professor). I also have Witching Stones & Runes.

As for my readings-I mainly do them for myself. I only use the Major Arcana. After all these years, I STILL need the book for some of the meanings of each card. I like a 7 card spread. First two cards are past and past influence. Next two are present and present influence. The next two are future & future influence. And the last card is final outcome. And I do include reverse meanings. I find this is a good reading for yes or no questions. If the majority of the cards are in the upright position, the answer is yes. If the majority are in the reverse position, the answer is no.

I also have a tarot app on my tablet and I get the "card of the day." This app includes both Major & Minor Arcanas. I don't recall if it has reverse cards or not. I don't think so.

Cat
I like that 7-card spread. Might try that sometime.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:18 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I've been called worse.

Same here

Love what MightyQueen wrote

What was said about the thread reminds me of the first card in Tarot. The Fool. The Fool is eager for a new adventure. He or she doesn't know what they'll encounter along the way but they are optimistic. Their little dog has accompanied them so basic instincts will help guide their journey. The card is positive, colorful and its a beautiful day. Every journey begins with that first step. Throw caution to the wind and begin All the best adventures worth having require some of The Fool's bright optimism and daring spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have ignored them so far with Tarot, but when I pull runes, I do read the reversal because it can be important.

With Tarot, I usually just play until one card drops and use that one, but I have done three-card spreads and played with a couple of others, but not too much. I do a three-rune spread sometimes. It is "Overview, Challenge, Action". Got some good direction from that when I last did it a couple of weeks ago.

Cool about the runes. I like that-- Overview, Challenge, Action. Bet that would work as a Tarot spread too.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I received my first deck when I was 18. I was told that your first deck should be given to you (I don't know how true that is). I was at my then boyfriend's house. He was renting a room from this guy. I don't recall the reason but the owner of the house had a drawer open in the living room and I noticed a deck in there (Rider-Waite deck). I made a comment about the first deck should be given to you, so the guy took the deck-along with the book that went with it, handed them to me and said, "Here is your first deck." Even though it wasn't given to me as a special gift or anything, I was pretty happy with it.

I used those cards for decades. They got bent, and was pretty hard to use. I figured it was time to replace them. The store I went to was pretty limited on what they had. I bought a deck that were pretty (I can't remember which one it was). I loved the artwork but the cards were too big for my hands and the booklet that came with it didn't give me much help. But then I found MY deck (what else?) Tarot of The Cat People. I gave the other deck to my niece (her first deck). It never occurred to me to have more than one deck. I have given others their first decks-including my step-daughter who chose the Robin Wood deck. Somewhere along the way I picked up the Medieval Cat Tarot-but because of the color (not much contrast), these cards are really hard for me see.

I have acquired other cards-Titania's Fortune Cards, which I really like, Oracle cards, & The Lakota Sweat Lodge Cards (given to my by a former colleague of my husband-a college professor). I also have Witching Stones & Runes.

As for my readings-I mainly do them for myself. I only use the Major Arcana. After all these years, I STILL need the book for some of the meanings of each card. I like a 7 card spread. First two cards are past and past influence. Next two are present and present influence. The next two are future & future influence. And the last card is final outcome. And I do include reverse meanings. I find this is a good reading for yes or no questions. If the majority of the cards are in the upright position, the answer is yes. If the majority are in the reverse position, the answer is no.

I also have a tarot app on my tablet and I get the "card of the day." This app includes both Major & Minor Arcanas. I don't recall if it has reverse cards or not. I don't think so.

Cat

I've heard some people say that they also heard your first deck should be given to you. I never did hear that. Then again I didn't know anyone at the time who used Tarot to hear it from Awesome that the man just gave them to you.

I looked up Tarot of the Cat People. Nice images! Love that Death card. Temperance, The Emperor and The Empress, bunch of them they look great. And of course all the cats

Titiannas Fortune cards, how do you like them? Thats a Lenormand type deck. About 6 months ago or so I picked up The Gilded Reverie Lenormand deck but find them to be a whole lot different than Tarot. Don't really have a great handle on them yet. You've got some great decks and Oracles. With Halloween coming up I'm thinking about getting a new deck just for fun. Probably The Halloween Tarot because it reminds me of my childhood so much and the blast we had trick or treating. Gives me that nostalgic vibe.

Like your version of the spread for yes/no questions. I may try that one. The usual 3 card spread for it is so iffy that I never bother with it.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I usually just spread the cards and out scramble them.

Depending on what I am looking for, I either draw just one card, or do a 3 card spread (past, present, future). I pick cards merely by coming into contact with one as I scramble them and it "feels right". Or, if one separates from the pile, I select that one. I rotate the card clockwise until it is in the vertical position, then cheat by going to Biddy Tarot and reading the description, either right side up or reversed...which is why I like the scramble method.

I don't use it in terms of "predictions", I use it in terms of looking for ideas related to the issue I am focusing and trying to see angles that I hadn't yet thought of. Sort of a way to see more completely.

Biddy has a good site. Yea thats the way I approach Tarot as well, not for predictions but to help me see things I hadn't seen before with issues. Shed a new light.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:06 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,795,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
Biddy has a good site. Yea thats the way I approach Tarot as well, not for predictions but to help me see things I hadn't seen before with issues. Shed a new light.
I use the Biddy site too. I enjoy the podcasts there as well. I think that is the thing I like most about Tarot is that it brings a whole new perspective--sheds a new light--- into a situation, and that new perspective seems to bubble up from my inner world when activated by the images on the cards. I just love that! I've been thinking of getting a new deck, so I'm going to try the Robin Wood deck. The artwork looks beautiful.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:27 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Same here

Love what MightyQueen wrote

What was said about the thread reminds me of the first card in Tarot. The Fool. The Fool is eager for a new adventure. He or she doesn't know what they'll encounter along the way but they are optimistic. Their little dog has accompanied them so basic instincts will help guide their journey. The card is positive, colorful and its a beautiful day. Every journey begins with that first step. Throw caution to the wind and begin All the best adventures worth having require some of The Fool's bright optimism and daring spirit.
Yes! I pulled the Fool one day last month. It was the first time in a while he showed up.

There is value in that type of thinking at times. I've become more willing to take those chances in my older age, and a couple of years ago took a leap of faith off that cliff that turned out to be a good decision. I had no doggie with me, but it turned out there was one waiting for me at the other end.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:54 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,385,854 times
Quote:
Starting this thread to see if there is any interest here in discussing Tarot cards. Anyone here use them? Tell us a bit about your experience with Tarot.

I do use them, not on a daily basis though. Mostly I read for myself. I have several different decks, my favorite is the Robin Wood deck. Had that deck for many many years now. I like working with the symbols in Tarot (same reason I like dreams). I don't use them to predict the lottery or anything like that. I use them as an aid to developing my intuition. I also love the artwork on them and have collected a few decks for that reason.

Anyone else?
I'm always happy to see a Tarot thread. I was a fundamentalist-type Christian for most of my life so Tarot was off limits to me until a few years ago and I thought it was something evil. Thankfully, I got over that and I do have a couple of decks now. First I purchased a fairy-tale themed deck because it seemed friendlier to me and I was still a bit trepidatious about the whole thing. Then I printed a free Rider Waite deck off the internet. Like you, I mainly was/am interested in developing my intuition. I don't pull either of them out very often anymore, but I'm always intending to do more work with them, because I still really want to increase my ability to connect with the spiritual in the world around me and in myself and others.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes! I pulled the Fool one day last month. It was the first time in a while he showed up.

There is value in that type of thinking at times. I've become more willing to take those chances in my older age, and a couple of years ago took a leap of faith off that cliff that turned out to be a good decision. I had no doggie with me, but it turned out there was one waiting for me at the other end.

Awesome Mightyqueen! Love it!

Sometimes I think the little dog represents our own instincts. Our intuitions about the path we are taking or the choice we are considering.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I'm always happy to see a Tarot thread. I was a fundamentalist-type Christian for most of my life so Tarot was off limits to me until a few years ago and I thought it was something evil. Thankfully, I got over that and I do have a couple of decks now. First I purchased a fairy-tale themed deck because it seemed friendlier to me and I was still a bit trepidatious about the whole thing. Then I printed a free Rider Waite deck off the internet. Like you, I mainly was/am interested in developing my intuition. I don't pull either of them out very often anymore, but I'm always intending to do more work with them, because I still really want to increase my ability to connect with the spiritual in the world around me and in myself and others.

Welcome Pieroo! Fairy-tale deck sounds interesting. Which one do you have? I have Brian Froud's Faeries Oracle which I love although its not a tarot deck its a oracle deck. Loved it so much that when his The Heart of Faerie was available got that too. And thats great you found a free Rider Waite deck to print off the Internet. Glad to have you join us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism