Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 05:51 PM

950 posts, read 691,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That's wonderful. Porcelain is much nicer than resin. Please post a picture.

You've been gone a long time. Don't be a stranger.
As far as being a stranger, I actually visit this Pagan forum every day. So I guess you must be referring to my absence at the Collectors forum, in which case you would be correct. It's because the things I collect are somewhat bizarre, so I hardly get any responses on the Collectors forum. Also I don't want to collect too much, since I live in an apartment so my space is limited. In order to keep my collection at a manageable size, the way I do it is that any time I acquire a new item, then I try to eliminate another item at the same time. Especially with books, if I don't read a specific book for several years, that means I don't need it any longer, so off it goes to the second-hand shop. But there are some books I'll always keep such as Raymond Buckland's Guide to the Supernatural because it gives such a thorough overview of the various occult arts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 03:20 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,310,540 times
Years ago twice online shopping at www.azuregreen.net they also sell to shops.
Used to buy books online from Llewellyn publishers but they stopped international shipping alas. Liked their almanacs and the herbal almanac.
For divination decks www.loscarabeo.com

Old 04-08-2021, 10:07 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
I recently moved to southern IL to a town of population 1200 and this place is a little known secret I think. We have some of the best hikes ever and lots of fruit orchards, lakes, and wineries and so far I love it. Up the road about 20 minutes is a small town called Makanda and it has a tiny little block of shops, mainly selling handcrafts and ice cream and then there is a really funky (funky in the sixties sense) garden out back and whenever I have visitors I take them over there and they all love it. Last time I was there I went into the one remaining store that I hadn’t visited and oh wow! The best combination rock shop and magic store I’ve ever seen and it was large and independently owned. Now how did I miss that?! I was with my daughter that day but now I have a shopping list to go back with.

Interesting fact about Makanda. In the solar eclipse of 2017, Makanda was in the totality and they will also be in the totality of the next one in 2024. As you can imagine, this is a huge draw to those who are interested in such things and I’m assuming that many will be descending on the town in 2024. In 2019, I got to see a full eclipse in Chile and it was magical.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:28 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I recently moved to southern IL to a town of population 1200 and this place is a little known secret I think. We have some of the best hikes ever and lots of fruit orchards, lakes, and wineries and so far I love it. Up the road about 20 minutes is a small town called Makanda and it has a tiny little block of shops, mainly selling handcrafts and ice cream and then there is a really funky (funky in the sixties sense) garden out back and whenever I have visitors I take them over there and they all love it. Last time I was there I went into the one remaining store that I hadn’t visited and oh wow! The best combination rock shop and magic store I’ve ever seen and it was large and independently owned. Now how did I miss that?! I was with my daughter that day but now I have a shopping list to go back with.

Interesting fact about Makanda. In the solar eclipse of 2017, Makanda was in the totality and they will also be in the totality of the next one in 2024. As you can imagine, this is a huge draw to those who are interested in such things and I’m assuming that many will be descending on the town in 2024. In 2019, I got to see a full eclipse in Chile and it was magical.
Interesting, stepka. Seems as though Indiana is getting to be a hot spot. I had a long-time coworker from Indiana who moved to NJ with a journalism degree hoping to break into NYC radio. Didn't happen for her, but she ended up working in public transportation with me and is set to retire in a couple of years, and she and her husband plan to move back to Indiana.

Then just yesterday I learned that another acquaintance, always a Jersey guy, retired and moved to Indiana where he could get a lot more house for a lot less money.

AND my favorite true crime podcast, Crime Junkie, comes from Indianapolis and is done by two young women from the state.

Glad you found it a good spot to land.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Interesting, stepka. Seems as though Indiana is getting to be a hot spot. I had a long-time coworker from Indiana who moved to NJ with a journalism degree hoping to break into NYC radio. Didn't happen for her, but she ended up working in public transportation with me and is set to retire in a couple of years, and she and her husband plan to move back to Indiana.

Then just yesterday I learned that another acquaintance, always a Jersey guy, retired and moved to Indiana where he could get a lot more house for a lot less money.

AND my favorite true crime podcast, Crime Junkie, comes from Indianapolis and is done by two young women from the state.

Glad you found it a good spot to land.
OOPS, you were talking about ILLINOIS. Wrong abbreviation. Hehehe.

Old 04-08-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
OOPS, you were talking about ILLINOIS. Wrong abbreviation. Hehehe.
. That’s okay, IN is nice too and not far away. I’ve lived in MO most of my life but this place is closer to my kind.

Old 04-08-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
. That’s okay, IN is nice too and not far away. I’ve lived in MO most of my life but this place is closer to my kind.
Still one of the red state street names in Monopoly, so I was close!

Old 04-08-2021, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Still one of the red state street names in Monopoly, so I was close!
So that’s how your mind works....

Old 04-09-2021, 01:05 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,543,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Well.... it's in a historic (Thomas Paine and other Revolutionary luminaries) small town that has a quaint downtown about 5 blocks long. I will be back to support the independent bookstore and record store, a couple of art galleries; a creative yarn shop since my DIL does needlepoint and a few others but....

....the store is very small, so there's only enough space to carry a few key items. Oils, incense, pretty good variety of stones, some clothing and jewelry and a few books (wide range of spells) and a couple of tarot decks. It is also VERY wicca/witchcraft oriented which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but because that's where the focus is, that's mostly what kind of merchandise they carry. I really liked the woman who runs it and there was another crone browsing with whom I had a brief conversation about whether or not we were afraid of dying. (I'm not, she is.) Owner recommended a book to her she didn't carry. It was a fun visit.

MQ, not sure sure it's worth the trip since you have Earth Spirit practically in your back yard. But if you had an afternoon to spare, there are a couple of fun looking places to eat and I think you might enjoy the other stores, too. I wouldn't make a special trip though .
Broomstick Betty has survived. I may go this weekend to give them some support.

https://www.broomstickbetty.com/

Old 04-09-2021, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Broomstick Betty has survived. I may go this weekend to give them some support.

https://www.broomstickbetty.com/
I forgot about this! Thanks for the reminder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism