Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 04:46 PM

1,096 posts, read 418,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Hubby & I have talked about going over to NY and go "mining" for Herkimer diamonds. It is less than 2 hours from here but we just haven't done it-YET. We did go "mining" in NH a couple of years ago. It was funny because everyone was coming up to us to ask us questions as if we knew something. People would ask us what we had found. I said, "Rocks." It was mostly quartz & mica.
Cat

That sounds really interesting! Do you have to have a lot of specialized equipment to go mining?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 05:57 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,276,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
That sounds really interesting! Do you have to have a lot of specialized equipment to go mining?
It depends on where you go. The places we have been/talked about going pretty much caters to families and such. They will rent you the equipment you need and such. I know there are places that will sell you tub of dirt. Whatever is in the dirt is yours. When we went to Ruggle's Mine in NH, we basically used a screwdriver.

Our son-in-law is a geologist (teaches at San Bernadino, CA) and he goes mining for the REAL DEAL. He has been all over the world and has found We went gold mining with him once and yes, we found gold. Hubby & I did buy a gold pan but never once used it. We should. We know there's gold in them thar hills. And since Irene hit in 2011, a lot of gold has been found because Irene shifted a lot of the mountains. We should also bring out the metal detector because you never know what you are going to find.

Cat

Old 08-11-2019, 09:31 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Here you go, Cat. A snap of one of the tables where I was last week.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:08 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
It depends on where you go. The places we have been/talked about going pretty much caters to families and such. They will rent you the equipment you need and such. I know there are places that will sell you tub of dirt. Whatever is in the dirt is yours. When we went to Ruggle's Mine in NH, we basically used a screwdriver.

Our son-in-law is a geologist (teaches at San Bernadino, CA) and he goes mining for the REAL DEAL. He has been all over the world and has found We went gold mining with him once and yes, we found gold. Hubby & I did buy a gold pan but never once used it. We should. We know there's gold in them thar hills. And since Irene hit in 2011, a lot of gold has been found because Irene shifted a lot of the mountains. We should also bring out the metal detector because you never know what you are going to find.

Cat

Thank you for explaining. Wonder if there is any quartz around here...one day I'll have to look into this, see where the places are, would be fun to try. I know my husband when he was in college they took a trip to a strip mine and were looking for fossils. He enjoyed that. Hope you find gold!

Old 08-12-2019, 12:08 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,276,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Here you go, Cat. A snap of one of the tables where I was last week.
Oh man, I am drooling.

Cat

Old 09-14-2019, 11:45 PM

950 posts, read 691,496 times
While surfing the internet, I ran across an appealing sculpture. It's a sculpture that represents Palmistry because it's a Resin sculpture of a human hand and on its palm is inscribed all the names for the different areas and traits of palmistry.
As a student of palmistry myself, I'm quite tempted to purchase it. If anything else, it would be an appealing Conversation Piece. Especially because I like to grace my shelves with unusual artifacts.

Sometimes though I have to resist temptation because the other day at Walmart I saw an interesting Helloween item. It was a bust of Medusa's head with the snakes and all. Very well-crafted sculpture. But then I'm afraid it's much too sinister for me. So I'll pass on it.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
While surfing the internet, I ran across an appealing sculpture. It's a sculpture that represents Palmistry because it's a Resin sculpture of a human hand and on its palm is inscribed all the names for the different areas and traits of palmistry.
As a student of palmistry myself, I'm quite tempted to purchase it. If anything else, it would be an appealing Conversation Piece. Especially because I like to grace my shelves with unusual artifacts.

Sometimes though I have to resist temptation because the other day at Walmart I saw an interesting Helloween item. It was a bust of Medusa's head with the snakes and all. Very well-crafted sculpture. But then I'm afraid it's much too sinister for me. So I'll pass on it.
I was at an arts and crafts show a few weeks ago and there was a bear's head with a smaller figure of a woman coming out of it carved out of stone. It was $2000, though. If it was $200, I might have considered it.

Some people are very creative, and I admire their talent.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:01 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,016,532 times
Oh goodness yes , The Green Man in LA and The Enchanted Cottage in Bakersfield .
Not only are they total treasure trove for folks like us but they also offer classes/instruction in a wide array of things . I am even scheduled for grief counseling at the one in Los Angeles .

Old 10-27-2019, 10:01 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,543,511 times
Article in the NYT this morning mentioned this one. In the East Village. You can also order online.

https://www.facebook.com/EnchantmentsNY/

Old 10-27-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Article in the NYT this morning mentioned this one. In the East Village. You can also order online.

https://www.facebook.com/EnchantmentsNY/
Thanks, Hannah5555. This looks great. I will find my way there one of these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism