Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 07:10 PM

7 posts, read 8,235 times

Advertisements

I will visit the area in September for five or six days (as advised), trying to spend half a day in each of the towns/communities I am considering: Tavares, Lady Lake, Summerfield, Liberty Triangle, Dunnellon, Citrus Springs and Inverness.
After that I can take my time working with a realtor, as I am in no hurry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 07:38 PM

2,914 posts, read 1,901,694 times
Plant city?

Old 07-28-2023, 08:55 PM

3,520 posts, read 2,514,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ek1939 View Post
I will visit the area in September for five or six days (as advised), trying to spend half a day in each of the towns/communities I am considering: Tavares, Lady Lake, Summerfield, Liberty Triangle, Dunnellon, Citrus Springs and Inverness.
Lady Lake is a lot of extremes. Not a whole lot of "middle-class" living, mostly trailer parks, horse farms, retirement communities, and "estates" (mansions). The people in the middle are peppered inbetween.

Old 07-28-2023, 10:53 PM

27,270 posts, read 44,241,125 times
Quote:
Bear in mind you mentioned originally "towns" and the only two on this revised list (Tavares and Inverness) are true towns, versus communities. Pretty notable difference to consider and oddly self-limiting otherwise.

Old 07-29-2023, 08:03 AM

195 posts, read 410,437 times
I live in East Summerfield in a very nice 55+ gated community. We really like it here. But The area of West Summerfield between 301 & I75 is absolutely gorgeous. I would love to buy a place on a couple acres but had to compromise with my wife. She wanted to be near the beach but I said no way. After the hurricanes last year she understood but I promised I would find a place with a pool & a lot of recreation opportunities and that is what we found. But I can still dream of a house on a few acres

Last edited by Greendale; 07-29-2023 at 09:27 AM..

Old 08-04-2023, 08:31 AM

1,129 posts, read 472,578 times
I agree with the comment on renting, you can then find out if a particular area is for you or not and can easily move if it isn't.

You are still fairly young and the places you mention are similar but different in a lot of ways.

I have a house in Lady Lake which I love with plenty going on in the area and close enough to the villages for a taste of retirement but far enough away as Im not quite there yet.

If I had my time again I might have opted for Tavares, we spend a lot of time there and I love the weekend's with live music in most venues every weekend, and being on the water there always seems to be some event taking place, its also got a nice village feel to it with most people knowing each other, in short it just feels homely.

Dunnellon is a nice small town but relatively quiet but possibly too quiet, it is for me.

The ones you mention Tavares, Lady Lake, Summerfield are all good, throw in Mount Dora and Eustis for good measure , all within a relatively small radius and all areas that are what most people would consider safe from crime, hurricanes and flooding.

Good luck with your trip in September.

Old 08-05-2023, 06:17 PM

742 posts, read 1,312,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Plant city?
For now. How long that will last sandwiched between Lakeland and Brandon remains to be seen.

Old 12-18-2023, 06:13 AM

I've spent a week exploring the community between Ocala and Inverness, although I realize this isn't the same as renting for a year. However, it's still better than having no information at all. I made sure to visit during both daytime and nighttime, and I also tried to visit as many restaurants and stores as possible.
Based on my experience, I ended up really liking three areas: Pine Ridge and Oak Ridge, both located in or near Beverly Hills, as well as Liberty Triangle in SW Ocala. Do you have any long-term experiences with these areas? I've read that parts of Beverly Hills are sketchy.

Old 12-18-2023, 08:36 AM

3,520 posts, read 2,514,037 times
Quote:
I've spent a week exploring the community between Ocala and Inverness, although I realize this isn't the same as renting for a year. However, it's still better than having no information at all. I made sure to visit during both daytime and nighttime, and I also tried to visit as many restaurants and stores as possible.
Based on my experience, I ended up really liking three areas: Pine Ridge and Oak Ridge, both located in or near Beverly Hills, as well as Liberty Triangle in SW Ocala. Do you have any long-term experiences with these areas? I've read that parts of Beverly Hills are sketchy.
Pine Ridge is new construction, where you have to pay for the lot separately. The lot costs around $70,000 and the home itself will start in the mid-300's. So your home price will be well over $400, above your stated budget.

Oak Ridge has some nice homes available in the $350,000 range but the HOAs will put them right over $400.

The most affordable home I saw in Liberty Triangle that appeared to be in the best condition was in Oak Run - which is disqualified from your search since it's a 55+ senior community.

Parts of EVERY area of Florida are sketchy. Parts of every area of every state in the country are sketchy.

Old 12-18-2023, 11:34 AM

I could delay my move by a year, potentially saving an additional 100k (if housing prices stabilize). This would give me more flexibility with my budget.
Regarding the HOA price increase by $50k, unless you're referring to the CDC or a bond, it seems odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala