Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 04:59 PM

851 posts, read 416,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I regard Census Bureau estimates as trustworthy."

Do you believe everything the fed tells you?
Go back to the original post and ask yourself if any of the numbers put forth by the Census Bureau strain credibility. If so, feel free to put forth your own more accurate estimates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2024, 05:54 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
Go back to the original post and ask yourself if any of the numbers put forth by the Census Bureau strain credibility. If so, feel free to put forth your own more accurate estimates.
So you believe everything the fed tells you without reservation.

Old 03-03-2024, 07:04 AM

Quote:
So you believe everything the fed tells you without reservation.
"Everything" isn't being discussed. Why not simply enlighten us with the truth being withheld? Surely you can cite empirical data to support your argument.

Old 03-04-2024, 05:44 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
"Everything" isn't being discussed. Why not simply enlighten us with the truth being withheld? Surely you can cite empirical data to support your argument.
And you are believing everything the the Census Bureau is telling us.

The fed would NEVER do or say anything wrong or bad.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:18 AM

Quote:
And you are believing everything the the Census Bureau is telling us.

The fed would NEVER do or say anything wrong or bad.
Sorry for the slow response. I was at the edge of the Earth and almost fell off.
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Population Estimates for North Carolina-51b8e89ceab8eaa87d000009.jpeg  

Old 03-05-2024, 05:11 PM

128 posts, read 57,605 times
I debated whether to put this in the main section (which would have more comments and less biased people) or within North Carolina. Since they were both NC cities, I’m just going to post here.

On my social media feed (which I didn’t comment on because I don’t want my feed algorithms being messed up), I noticed Raleigh getting some flack over building height and consequentially being smaller. Which led me to look at the numbers closer.

There’s actually a really cool tool, below, I like that compares population radius (which I like because you can adjust where you place the circle which is convenient mostly for cities bordering water.)

https://www.tomforth.co.uk/circlepopulations/

The most interesting that stands out to me, Raleigh has a more populated core within 3sq KM and really, Raleigh remains more populated until you start expanding way out. Charlotte seems to surpass Raleigh in population, ironically, at a large enough radius to include Durham in the Raleigh numbers.

, I was expecting the opposite so I thought it was interesting. Assuming the tool is correct.

Old 03-06-2024, 06:42 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAmerica_US View Post
I debated whether to put this in the main section (which would have more comments and less biased people) or within North Carolina. Since they were both NC cities, I’m just going to post here.

On my social media feed (which I didn’t comment on because I don’t want my feed algorithms being messed up), I noticed Raleigh getting some flack over building height and consequentially being smaller. Which led me to look at the numbers closer.

There’s actually a really cool tool, below, I like that compares population radius (which I like because you can adjust where you place the circle which is convenient mostly for cities bordering water.)

The most interesting that stands out to me, Raleigh has a more populated core within 3sq KM and really, Raleigh remains more populated until you start expanding way out. Charlotte seems to surpass Raleigh in population, ironically, at a large enough radius to include Durham in the Raleigh numbers.

, I was expecting the opposite so I thought it was interesting. Assuming the tool is correct.
NC State has an effect. Charlotte's student population is spread out and further from the core than NC State is from Raleigh.

Old 03-06-2024, 09:46 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAmerica_US View Post

The Triangle's status as a multi-nodal metro area vs Charlotte's being more centralized is what causes the perception of "much bigger" Charlotte numbers in census data. Charlotte is a larger city than Raleigh and the Charlotte metro is more populous than that of Raleigh/The Triangle...at least for now. But functionally they are far more similar in size/scope than they are different. The gap isn't as significant as some (mostly in C-D vacuum, not the real world) like to believe.

Old 03-06-2024, 02:14 PM

718 posts, read 492,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
The Triangle's status as a multi-nodal metro area vs Charlotte's being more centralized is what causes the perception of "much bigger" Charlotte numbers in census data. Charlotte is a larger city than Raleigh and the Charlotte metro is more populous than that of Raleigh/The Triangle...at least for now. But functionally they are far more similar in size/scope than they are different. The gap isn't as significant as some (mostly in C-D vacuum, not the real world) like to believe.
The gap will remain significant and is actually widening in raw numbers.While Raleigh is dynamic, it is a different functioning city than Charlotte. They both strive for different feels and it is quite evident and that is not a knock on Raleigh at all. We could use the tool to.say alot but numbers don't lie. Mecklenburg county is denser than Wake and the numbers for the areas don't lie. There is over a million people gap between the areas. No the gap isn't as big as Philadelphia and Pittsburgh but the gap is still there not just in population but in gdp, amenities, headquarters, professional teams, major events, etc. Raleigh definitely excels in higher education and in having RTP which is AWESOME especially for a city its size. Fun fact: research park in Charlotte is actually one of the 10 largest research parks in the country just like RTP in Raleigh. North Carolina for win in tech.

Old 03-06-2024, 03:07 PM

128 posts, read 57,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
The gap will remain significant and is actually widening in raw numbers.While Raleigh is dynamic, it is a different functioning city than Charlotte. They both strive for different feels and it is quite evident and that is not a knock on Raleigh at all. We could use the tool to.say alot but numbers don't lie. Mecklenburg county is denser than Wake and the numbers for the areas don't lie. There is over a million people gap between the areas. No the gap isn't as big as Philadelphia and Pittsburgh but the gap is still there not just in population but in gdp, amenities, headquarters, professional teams, major events, etc. Raleigh definitely excels in higher education and in having RTP which is AWESOME especially for a city its size. Fun fact: research park in Charlotte is actually one of the 10 largest research parks in the country just like RTP in Raleigh. North Carolina for win in tech.
I was really talking about density (irrespective of municipal boundaries as that is heavily skewed) and the population of the core. The student population made sense to me so I thought that resolved what I noticed but you’re making me slightly confused.

The population tool calculates the following:

Charlotte 3km = 46,000
Raleigh 3km = 61,917

Charlotte 5km = 112,806
Raleigh 5km = 143,424

Charlotte 15km = 704,145
Raleigh 15km = 737,157

Charlotte 25km = 1,299,456
Raleigh 25km = 1,310,983

Charlotte 45km = 2,245,547
Raleigh 45km = 2,101,717

Charlotte 60km = 2,622,316
Raleigh 60km = 2,379,987

Just pointing out, i would’ve expected the opposite. Charlotte to be more dense closer to the core with Raleigh overtaking as the boundary gets further and further out.But I still see how the student population drags Raleigh to perform higher closer to the core.

In any events, it’s a cool tool, if accurate.

Last edited by NorthAmerica_US; 03-06-2024 at 03:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina