Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 02:28 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
I regard Census Bureau estimates as trustworthy. In North Carolina and elsewhere. It's all we've got to go on regarding apportionment of representation in the lower house. Their numbers are the last word. Period.
Interestingly, I've never really checked state sources for estimates and official populations and compare for accuracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2024, 08:01 AM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
The 2020 US Census is probably much less of an accurate measure of longterm resident population than the subsequent population estimates this decade.

Old 02-22-2024, 06:56 AM

58,994 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Charlotte's skyline is so big that it will eventually become as big of a city as it looks like (~5 million people).

People remember its skyline when visiting and millions fly through CLT seeing a big-looking city from the air.

Charlotte news recently reported 130 people move to the region every day.

They compared that to 70 moving to Raleigh each day, which, of course, doesn't include the Durham/Chapel Hill MSA. And since upon landing at RDU you see Durham's skyline out the left of the plane, and Raleigh's out the right side, they should always be combined thus both regions (Charlotte and the Triangle) are growing commensurately.

SC is growing and I've never been to Charleston believe it or not, but the upstate is very different from NC in my opinion. It's a booming industrial corridor and Greenville gets admired for it riverfront, but I cannot stand how all the major thoroughfares off I-85 are designed. Traffic lights make you wait for 4-5 minutes, you cannot traverse parking lots of adjacent shopping centers, the roads and parking lots are designed so differently from GA or NC that it's maddening.

I'm glad they raised the gas tax in SC and the widening of I-85 is great. But overall. the infrastructure of the rural and urban parts of SC is nowhere in the same league as NC.

On country roads in Anderson County, you have no shoulders, steep inclines, curves, and the grading of all the roads seems much more dangerous or poorly thought out.

GA and NC's populations have remained within 200,000-300,000 for over 20 years.

As for NC, lets just say Charlotte is the Los Angeles and the Triangle is the Bay Area (with Apple now starting construction.)
"GA and NC's populations have remained within 200,000-300,000 for over 20 years."

NC GAINED a seat in the House recently because of the last Census. Don't know about Ga.

Brunswick Co., is, and has been, one of the fastest growing counties in the country.

As is Horry Co. in S.C.

Just sayin'.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Latest census figures have placed Charlotte's CSA at nearly 3.35 million people as of 2022. If current growth trends continue, we're looking at 3.8 million by 2030. For a comparison, present day Minneapolis CSA is 4.1 million with 2,500 sq/miles more land than CSA Charlotte. 2030-2035 could be time in which Charlotte and Minneapolis are considered population/economic peers (if current growth trends continue).

MSA Denver and CSA Charlotte are almost identical in land area (CSA Charlotte is only 200 sq/miles larger than MSA Denver). However, CSA Charlotte has 400,000 more people than MSA Denver. Growth trends show that Charlotte will surpass Denver (MSA to MSA) within the next 5 years.

These stats are all fairly trivial outside of business expansion because people (average everyday people) only care about the "experience" of being in a place. So what's the "Charlotte experience"? Is it an experience that 20 or so other US cities aren't already doing? Probably not. Whitewater, Carowinds, light rail, a busy airport, a luxury mall, and bad traffic aren't really unique features.

On the other hand, how "unique" is NYC when there's Toronto, Miami, San Fran, Chicago, LA, and Philly? How unique is Seattle when Vancouver is in the same vicinity and absolutely STUNNING!!! So on that note, yeah some people in NC just aren't willing to give Charlotte her due.

Despite not being a state capital and definitely NOT being the state's center for higher education; Charlotte has outperformed pretty much every US metro that didn't get much help at the state level. Here recently, the state has indeed helped with infrastructure (roads and mass transit) and tax incentives for job creation; but that help came AFTER Charlotte already had 2 million-plus within the metro. Charlotte got to the size of 2 million by itself (a city that was never part of North Carolina's plan the way how RTP was). Nobody likes to play nicely with the unplanned sibling that won the lottery LOL
Not knocking Charlotte.

"
  1. https://www.starnewsonline.com › story › news › local › 2023 › 04 › 20 › brunswick-county-among-top-10-counties-in-u-s-for-population-growth › 70086230007

Brunswick County among top 10 counties in U.S. for population growth

Apr 20, 2023Brunswick County's rapid population growth continues to rank among the highest in the state, but new data now suggests it's also among the fastest growing counties in the nation. According to...

Old 02-23-2024, 08:25 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,853,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"GA and NC's populations have remained within 200,000-300,000 for over 20 years."

NC GAINED a seat in the House recently because of the last Census. Don't know about Ga.

Brunswick Co., is, and has been, one of the fastest growing counties in the country.

As is Horry Co. in S.C.

Just sayin'.
Had a developer recently tell me that he felt that Horry County is overbuilt right now in terms of apartments. I have to wonder why developers thought that building apartments at the beach was a fit for that market. Seems that most folks move into that market to relocate and want a home or condo, which can always be looked as as a long term investment.

Old 02-23-2024, 10:49 PM

377 posts, read 204,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Apr 20, 2023Brunswick County's rapid population growth continues to rank among the highest in the state, but new data now suggests it's also among the fastest growing counties in the nation.
Harnett County?

Old 02-26-2024, 12:37 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Had a developer recently tell me that he felt that Horry County is overbuilt right now in terms of apartments. I have to wonder why developers thought that building apartments at the beach was a fit for that market. Seems that most folks move into that market to relocate and want a home or condo, which can always be looked as as a long term investment.
I think there is a nationwide overbuilding of apartments now. Many cities, including the DC area, are reporting the same.

Old 03-01-2024, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I take it that you weren’t good in math, let alone accounting and finance. Probably not English either.
"I take it"

You shouldn't!

Last edited by Quick Enough; 03-01-2024 at 06:16 AM..

Old 03-01-2024, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
I regard Census Bureau estimates as trustworthy. In North Carolina and elsewhere. It's all we've got to go on regarding apportionment of representation in the lower house. Their numbers are the last word. Period.
"I regard Census Bureau estimates as trustworthy."

Do you believe everything the fed tells you?

Old 03-01-2024, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
"Had a developer recently tell me that he felt that Horry County is overbuilt right now in terms of apartments"

He is entitled to his OPINION.

I see people moving in as fast as they are built and new construction is booming.

This is in the Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle beach and the Little River area.

Don't know about the rest of the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina