Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 03:57 PM

3,667 posts, read 3,958,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Yes , the environmental costs of interstates and the sprawl they bring .
You obviously don't understand or care to learn about what those terms mean.

NC's highway system is the main tool that has brought success, new industry and prosperity to what was once one of the poorest states in the country.

The state's infrastructure is valued at about $600 billion and despite over 80,000 miles of state-maintained roads, the soil, air and water quality is safe enough to grow food, the fish are safe to eat and the coastal waters are alive and mostly healthy.

This upgraded, existing highway is not conducive in creating more sprawl. Central NC is already multi-nodal with several job centers without any heavily favored single location (for sprawl to radiate around).

There are 41 states with less people than NC and the impacts on the environment in each should be less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 02:55 PM

4,635 posts, read 6,483,105 times
With the US 64 corridor booming with two megasites in Chatham County alone, I would argue US 64 should be made into a freeway or even interstate from Asheboro to Apex.

NC budget aims to bring $4.8 billion chip-making plant, 1,800 jobs to Chatham County

Read more at: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/bu...#storylink=cpy

Old 06-30-2022, 12:04 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,884,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
They're nuts! I'm not against making spot improvements to 421 east/south of Dunn wherever they might be needed, but there's zero need for an interstate running parallel with I-40 all the way to Wilmington. The only extension of I-685 east of Dunn that would even remotely make sense is along the general NC-55 corridor and tie into I-40 near Newton Grove. In the meantime, just take I-95 to I-40.

The only future interstate Wilmington should focus on is I-74.
Agreed. I-685 will benefit Wilmington as it is...it essentially will be a Raleigh bypass for travel from the Triad and Wilmington or the southeastern coast in general. Right now, the back way is to go through Rockingham and then on 74. I-685 will move traffic much faster because there are no major metropolitan areas to slow it down. This would also affect trips from the coast to the mountains or vice versa.

One edit...Wilmington also wants Interstate access to Myrtle Beach and Jacksonville. The Hampstead bypass and the Carolina Byways extension are two projects that get the Wilmington area closer to this.

Old 06-30-2022, 07:55 PM

Quote:
WILMINGTON, N.C. (WECT) - Members of Wilmington’s Urban Area Metropolitan Planning Organization voted on Wednesday night to ask NCDOT to explore expanding the future Interstate 685 into Wilmington.

Their proposal would expand I-685 from Dunn into Wilmington and upgrade Hwy. 421 to interstate status. That includes widening lanes and making other safety improvements to achieve that status.

Mike Kozlosky, Executive Director of the WMPO, says that southeastern North Carolina could benefit from another interstate.

“Connecting larger population centers, providing for enhanced emergency evacuation, connecting the Port of Wilmington or military installations, as well as providing for enhanced economic development opportunities,” he said.
https://www.wect.com/2022/06/30/wmpo...685-extension/

Old 06-30-2022, 08:13 PM

7,195 posts, read 6,865,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post

Last edited by LM117; 06-30-2022 at 08:55 PM..

Old 07-06-2022, 06:35 AM

3,088 posts, read 4,884,288 times
Agreed....Wilmington has so many other needs including replacing an aging bridge as well as completing its urban loop which includes another bridge...

Now if the road was going through Fayetteville and Wilmington argued that 87 should become an Interstate connecting Fayetteville and Wilmington I might be "a little" more on board. The Charlotte to Wilmington corridor still needs so much work...that should be the bigger push as well as the Coastal highways I mentioned connecting Wilmington to Myrtle Beach and Wilmington to Jacksonville.

421 is a perfectly fine back road, in fact the State had the option of converting 421 when it built I-40 and decided against it. Let it go.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:44 AM

I concur. Where is this zeal for a more direct southern route interstate or freeway link between Charlotte and Wilmington? They should be cheerleading the Wadesboro Bypass, and more.

Old 07-09-2022, 05:48 AM

3,667 posts, read 3,958,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I concur. Where is this zeal for a more direct southern route interstate or freeway link between Charlotte and Wilmington? They should be cheerleading the Wadesboro Bypass, and more.
US74/I-74 is direct and awesome right now. It's not super crowded because there isn't much activity so close to the SC border.

It seems that people complain about the small towns that you much slow down for, but it's not like you're losing much time, and certainly not worth hundreds of millions for full freeway upgrades down through that part of the state.

Old 09-09-2022, 03:47 PM

More huge development coming to I-685 Corridor
Quote:
Wolfspeed will build a new semiconductor plant at a 400-acre site in Chatham County with an estimated investment of $5 billion and a commitment to create more than 1,800 jobs paying $77,000 a year on average. But it’s going to cost North Carolina tax payers some $1 billion in a variety of tax incentives.

Semiconductor chips are a key part of most electrotonic devices used today.

The investment over time stands to be the largest in North Carolina history, exceeding the $4.5 billion commitment by automaker VinFast to build a plant. That investment is also going to Chatham County.
https://wraltechwire.com/2022/09/09/...hatham-county/

Old 09-11-2022, 07:31 AM

6,168 posts, read 7,258,501 times
This is an opportunity for Fayetteville to leverage the I-685 corridor to attract industry to their community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina