Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 09:43 AM

117 posts, read 163,130 times

Advertisements

My husband and I and our two young kids are going to be visiting family in the Charlotte area between Christmas and New Year's. We would like to do an overnight trip to the mountains while we are there, and our top idea is to visit one if the nearby ski areas. We enjoy skiing, and our kids ski too.

I have done some looking, and know what to expect regarding size and conditions of runs. I am concerned hearing about large crowds around the holidays, including 45 minute lift lines. If that is true, that would kill a lot of the interest for me, and I'm not sure our kids would handle that. I'm looking for opinions on whether it would be worth it, and where we could go that has the potential for lowest crowds. I would be willing to drive a max of 3-4 hours each way.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 10:22 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,654,582 times
Some of the smaller ski areas will probably be less crowded like Wolf Laurel, Sapphire Valley and Cataloochee. Of course, the weather will determine whether they're open at all.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:23 AM

5,474 posts, read 6,114,377 times
Appalachian ski mt in Boone, NC, 2 to 2.5 hours drive, mostly snowboard, not as ski friendly
https://www.appskimtn.com

Beech Mt Resort in Banner Elk, NC, 2.5 to 3 hours drive, New Quad lifts installed in the past year. seldom more than two runs from the top open unless there has been lots of natural snow, although I hear that may change due to additional new snow guns added this year.
https://www.beechmountainresort.com

Sugar Mt Resort in Banner Elk, NC, 2.5 to 3 hours drive, sometimes more variety of runs open compared to Beech.
https://www.skisugar.com/#map

Hopefully someone else will chime with with experience during holiday sessions.

ET above may be correct about crowds on the smaller resort slopes. (if there is snow)

Last edited by getatag; 12-14-2019 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: additional info.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far.

My main concern about Beech or Sugar is that they seem to be popular and have the biggest potential for crowds. Appalachian seems pretty small with not much vertical. Cataloochee seems like one of the better options.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:54 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,583,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbtmn View Post
Thanks for the feedback so far.

My main concern about Beech or Sugar is that they seem to be popular and have the biggest potential for crowds. Appalachian seems pretty small with not much vertical. Cataloochee seems like one of the better options.
Looking at the live web cams at each place gives you a good idea of the crowds and the ski/board ratio. The earlier in the day you get started the better. Do you want a lot of vertical with young children?

Old 12-14-2019, 02:09 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,654,582 times
All of them, except for Beech and Sugar, have limited vertical. Beech and Sugar, being the biggest and having the most vertical, will probably be the most crowded.

Old 12-14-2019, 02:26 PM

My son's were up at Beech today, granted they are not the best judge of crowds because they usually go during the week, but they said it was pretty crowded, but with just a minute or two wait at lifts.

Here's the Beech cam, although it does get snowed over occasionally. When it's working it pretty good because it shows people getting off the lift at the top and also shows the base cam. When it shifts to the left, you can see the lift running and see if every seat is full on the way up.

https://www.beechmountainresort.com/mountain/webcams/

Here's Sugar at the base cam, to the right of the pic is the lift.

https://www.skisugar.com/cams/

Old 12-14-2019, 05:37 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,552,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Appalachian ski mt in Boone, NC, 2 to 2.5 hours drive, mostly snowboard, not as ski friendly
https://www.appskimtn.com
Absolutely not true. While there are a lot of snowboarders at App Ski Mtn, a lot of them stick to the terrain parks. Plenty of skiers at App Ski Mtn. I'm one of them.

I've never seen 30 min. lift lines at App, much less 45 minutes, even on holidays.

One thing to keep in mind is that App, unlike most/all of the others, does not sell alcohol or allow it on the premises. So you don't have to worry about rowdies out on the slopes plowing into your little ones. App is VERY family-friendly.

FWIW, I skied at Sugar for over 30 years, and switched to App a couple of years ago. Yes, the terrain is not as challenging, BUT I'm not dealing with the snow guns in my face day in and day out. The people who work at App are friendly and make a point to let you know that they appreciate your business. With rare exceptions, App does not make snow on open slopes during business hours. The quality of the snow and grooming is the best (IMO) in the High Country.

Old 12-14-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Absolutely not true. While there are a lot of snowboarders at App Ski Mtn, a lot of them stick to the terrain parks. Plenty of skiers at App Ski Mtn. I'm one of them.

I've never seen 30 min. lift lines at App, much less 45 minutes, even on holidays.

One thing to keep in mind is that App, unlike most/all of the others, does not sell alcohol or allow it on the premises. So you don't have to worry about rowdies out on the slopes plowing into your little ones. App is VERY family-friendly.

FWIW, I skied at Sugar for over 30 years, and switched to App a couple of years ago. Yes, the terrain is not as challenging, BUT I'm not dealing with the snow guns in my face day in and day out. The people who work at App are friendly and make a point to let you know that they appreciate your business. With rare exceptions, App does not make snow on open slopes during business hours. The quality of the snow and grooming is the best (IMO) in the High Country.
Thank you, I stand corrected on the Ski use at App Ski mtn. My information comes from my boys who spend 75 or 80% of their time on snowboards rather than skis.

Old 12-15-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Do you want a lot of vertical with young children?
Good point. But going back and looking at the trail map for Appalachian, I think I realized my real concern - lack of diversity of blue and green runs, and no greens served by a chair lift. The younger one is a beginner but loves/is highly motivated by getting to ride the lift. We don't need 1000+ feet of vertical, but was hoping longer runs might make up for lack of variety. Our local ski area here in MN has a similar vertical to Appalachian, but a larger variety of runs, and I know my older one appreciates that. He primarily skis blue runs.

But I do like the observation of lack of crowds, family friendliness, and shorter drive. If the more/most difficult runs are still relatively easy, that might make it more attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina