Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 12:19 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,988,165 times

Advertisements

Skiing in NC is mostly sad and the weather could easily be terrible for skiing.

Night skiing and weekday skiing least crowded I would not even bother with the weekend

App ski is basically a micro park but there is def fun to be had IIRC between beech and sugar I think I prefer beech

Even if the weather is good it will be icy likely unless snow just dropped
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 07:55 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,552,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Skiing in NC is mostly sad and the weather could easily be terrible for skiing.

Night skiing and weekday skiing least crowded I would not even bother with the weekend

App ski is basically a micro park but there is def fun to be had IIRC between beech and sugar I think I prefer beech

Even if the weather is good it will be icy likely unless snow just dropped
Not true. All the ski areas groom their slopes at least once daily, and most groom more often than that. Regular grooming and smart snow making minimizes icy conditions. The old stereotype of "southern ice" just isn't as pervasive with today's better equipment and snow making. The NC ski areas do not need fresh natural snow to have pretty darned good ski conditions on many days.

All of the ski areas have relatively accurate, up-to-the-minute conditions and weather reports on their websites, not to mention live web cams. In part because of social media, they can't get away with overly rosy conditions reports like they used to. It's a lot easier to make a last minutes decision, especially when making a day trip.

One proviso... during peak times with high traffic (e.g. holidays and weekends) it is more challenging to maintain great conditions.

Old 05-04-2024, 05:08 AM

2 posts, read 771 times
I found a few more Banner Elk cameras here https://www.camguide.net/usa/ncarolina/banner-elk.html. Overlooking the slope, constantly dirty

Old 05-04-2024, 05:19 AM

936 posts, read 772,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomko-dima View Post
I found a few more Banner Elk cameras here https://www.camguide.net/usa/ncarolina/banner-elk.html. Overlooking the slope, constantly dirty
Dirty?

Old 05-04-2024, 06:14 AM

5,474 posts, read 6,114,377 times
To echo OW...... dirty????

And, geography lesson for today, Avalon Fish Pier is NOT in Banner Elk, NC. (see last picture from those cams posted)

I walked Beech yesterday, there is one small patch of snow left, preparations are underway for Mt. Bike downhill season. The lift decks are being pressure washed and re-stained, the bar at the top is being cleaned and readied for opening, trails are being groomed. The new Mile High Yoga deck is ready for the business of contorted Yoga moves.

Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM

342 posts, read 320,415 times
think lomko prob. meant dirty camera lens.
lot of them are, as to be expected.

Old Today, 05:49 AM

5,474 posts, read 6,114,377 times
Thanks lastdash, you may be correct!

I've only seen bad lens during extreme rain or snow events. i check the Beech and Sugar cams weekly during the year and they are really pretty clean considering where they are mounted and the amount of abuse they get from the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina