Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 07:19 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Washington Post poll finds many consider North Carolina part of Mid-Atlantic:

Capital Weather Gang - What is the mid-Atlantic?
36% isn't exactly a "majority".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 08:36 PM

11 posts, read 25,209 times
I look at it like this in terms of geography

from Caribou, Maine to Key Largo Florida is 1968.46 miles. 1/2 of that is 984.23

From Caribou, Maine to Fort Lee, Virginia is 983.39 miles (close enough) so that would be the center point of the east coast. So from a geographical perspective my definition of the "Mid-Atlantic" using Fort Lee as a center point would be Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and North Carolina.

As far as Mid-Atlantic Culture that's where people seem to get confusing the culture of the original Mid-Atlantic colonies of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, and Delaware as taught in school. And that's where it get annoying because its northeastern culture I have lived in Virginia my whole life this isn't the northeast. Appalachian or whatever you want to call us just don't say northeastern, them fightin words. West Virginia is 100% Appalachian. The culture of North Carolina is definitely southern.

Then again there are too many regions anymore anyways I mean sub-regions that overlap regions.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:57 AM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times
I would say that No Carolina could be defined as being both Mid Atlantic and Southeast.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:21 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
That's a good point--when people try to peg NC as "Mid-Atlantic" or "Southeastern", it depends on whether they mean geographically (though why don't they look at a map?) or culturally. I still think it is Southereastern either way, as "Mid-Atlantic" generally has a known definition of, as you say, the PA/NJ/Delaware/Maryland area. Culturally I would say Philadelphia, Baltimore, and DC--neither of these fits NC, especially not the state as a whole. There may be parts of Charlotte that are similar to DC, etc, but the state as a whole is unquestionably Southern. 80% of the counties are still rural by the Ceneus definition (<200 ppl/square mile).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVirginian View Post

from Caribou, Maine to Key Largo Florida is 1968.46 miles. 1/2 of that is 984.23

From Caribou, Maine to Fort Lee, Virginia is 983.39 miles (close enough) so that would be the center point of the east coast. So from a geographical perspective my definition of the "Mid-Atlantic" using Fort Lee as a center point would be Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and North Carolina.

As far as Mid-Atlantic Culture that's where people seem to get confusing the culture of the original Mid-Atlantic colonies of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, and Delaware as taught in school. And that's where it get annoying because its northeastern culture I have lived in Virginia my whole life this isn't the northeast. Appalachian or whatever you want to call us just don't say northeastern, them fightin words. West Virginia is 100% Appalachian. The culture of North Carolina is definitely southern.

Then again there are too many regions anymore anyways I mean sub-regions that overlap regions.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:22 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:

"The Northeast" refers to the Amtrak Northeast rail corridor. I've also heard it used as a code word for the NYC metro.

Look at the colonial & Federal architecture from Philadelphia south to NC. Don't just look at Philly, Baltimore, & DC. Look at South Jersey, look at Lancaster, York, & Adams Counties in PA. Look at Harford & Carroll Counties in MD.

Richmond is always referred to as MidAtlantic. Looking at those areas, as a whole, including small towns & rural, are they that much different than the Piedmont of North Carolina? Then look south of the NC border. Which is more different?

Last edited by southbound_295; 02-22-2011 at 08:32 AM..

Old 02-22-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
"The Northeast" refers to the Amtrak Northeast rail corridor. I've also heard it used as a code word for the NYC metro.

Look at the colonial & Federal architecture from Philadelphia south to NC. Don't just look at Philly, Baltimore, & DC. Look at South Jersey, look at Lancaster, York, & Adams Counties in PA. Look at Harford & Carroll Counties in MD.

Richmond is always referred to as MidAtlantic. Looking at those areas, as a whole, including small towns & rural, are they that much different than the Piedmont of North Carolina? Then look south of the NC border. Which is more different?
Architecturally speaking......yeah your right I mean most of the architecture in Charleston or Savannah reminds me much more of New Orleans than Raleigh/Richmond ect. There are some big differences between SC & NC but there are differences between VA & NC or VA & MD or WV & VA lol

Well yeah I don't disagree that Richmond shouldn't be called Mid-Atlantic its right by Fort Lee which I mapped as the center point of the eastern seaboard so it makes perfect sense geographically speaking.

The culture/mindset of the people in each of those area's are pretty different from NJ to NC though. At least I think so.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Architecturally speaking......yeah your right I mean most of the architecture in Charleston or Savannah reminds me much more of New Orleans than Raleigh/Richmond ect. There are some big differences between SC & NC but there are differences between VA & NC or VA & MD or WV & VA lol

Well yeah I don't disagree that Richmond shouldn't be called Mid-Atlantic its right by Fort Lee which I mapped as the center point of the eastern seaboard so it makes perfect sense geographically speaking.

The culture/mindset of the people in each of those area's are pretty different from NJ to NC though. At least I think so.
But have you been to or known people from South Jersey? I suspect that you haven't. This might put it into perspective. Why Is South Jersey So Undeveloped?

I've been to all of those places that I mentioned & currently live 30 miles out from Charlotte. The people are pretty much the same. The accents vary.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
But have you been to or known people from South Jersey? I suspect that you haven't. This might put it into perspective. Why Is South Jersey So Undeveloped?

I've been to all of those places that I mentioned & currently live 30 miles out from Charlotte. The people are pretty much the same. The accents vary.
I have been to Cape May and Villas in south Jersey does that count? I have a trailer in Lewes in Delaware and I notice differences between there and Virginia. I notice major differences between Lewes and Wilmington NC which I go to at least once a year. There are HUGE differences in lifestyles of southwestern Virginia and all of Delaware and everywhere I have been to in Maryland. I have lived in Virginia/West Virginia all my life and I notice even slight differences between extreme southwestern VA, southern WV, and eastern Kentucky. But that just might be how I look at it....Don't know what else to say

Old 02-23-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
I have been to Cape May and Villas in south Jersey does that count? I have a trailer in Lewes in Delaware and I notice differences between there and Virginia. I notice major differences between Lewes and Wilmington NC which I go to at least once a year. There are HUGE differences in lifestyles of southwestern Virginia and all of Delaware and everywhere I have been to in Maryland. I have lived in Virginia/West Virginia all my life and I notice even slight differences between extreme southwestern VA, southern WV, and eastern Kentucky. But that just might be how I look at it....Don't know what else to say
Hmmmm. . . Well, I see similarities where they exist, & they are there. As I said, I was taught that the MidAtlantic is the transition area between North & South. As a transitional area, things would change, wouldn't they?

If you want to only look at differences, try comparing western VA to Eastern VA. Oops! That's sort of how West VA came to be, isn't it.

The fact is that there are many social niceties in South Jersey day to day life that do not exist in North Jersey & are considered "southern" You will find much of the same in areas all through the MidAtlantic. If you only look for what's different, you don't notice what's the same. Get what I'm saying?

Old 02-23-2011, 10:32 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times
A few years ago we were attending an Open Track event at NJMP in Millville, NJ. In the evening we went out to dinner at the Texas Roadhouse. If you didn't know any better you would swear you were in a similar restaurant just outside Charlotte, NC.
Same rowdy crowd, same rowdy waitresses. We had a ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina