Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 08:11 AM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times

Advertisements

Depends on what you're looking for. Someplace quiet, and not too touristy? A number of people here on C-D like Lake Chapala. It's in an archaeological zone of the Tarascan empire, which was contemporaneous with the Aztecs and Mayans, if you're into archaeology. According to reports, it's low crime, and generally low key, with beautiful scenery and ideal weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 07:16 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
My older son and his family love Sayulita. Lots to do and completely safe. They go there every year for three weeks or so, with their ten-year-old son and six-year-old daughter.

Old 03-08-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
My older son and his family love Sayulita. Lots to do and completely safe. They go there every year for three weeks or so, with their ten-year-old son and six-year-old daughter.
And Sayulita is on the coast, directly west of Lake Chapala. You could easily visit both; choose one, and make regular excursions to the other. One advantage is that there are direct flights from the US to nearby Guadalajarja, so you don't have to go through Mexico City, which is experiencing the C-virus outbreak currently.

Old 03-09-2020, 07:36 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
I’d be up and down the Yucatán Peninsula cave diving and eating wonderful food.
A couple side trips to Cozumel for some drift diving, spearfishing and I would be in heaven.
I dig Mexico.
There is a lot to like.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:00 AM

168 posts, read 394,539 times
Conservative budget
Middle age
No kids with us although we have a couple older ones that could fly in and join us if it was interesting
My husband is not from the States; I work across the state of Texas
We want to get an affordable apt where I can fly in and out without major safety concerns.
We are a quiet couple; just want a peaceful place to live for a year. It is a painfully long process.
Walking distance or a short drive to grocery stores.
We will want reliable electricity, AC and WIFI which I don't think will be a problem anywhere in Mexico.
I thought of Cancun; flights out of Dallas are less than $200. By what I can tell, Cancun tourist area is good but the downtown area or out of the tourist area has mixed reviews and of course we wouldn't be staying at a resort for a year.
I have friends in Texas some are from Mexico and I am getting very mixed reviews.
I can always get pretty decent advice here so I appreciate you all sharing!

Old 03-10-2020, 08:17 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,568,743 times
Cancun off the resort strip isn't that bad, there are some nice quiet suburban neighborhoods. It wouldn't be very high on my list unless you're really into the beach scene, because you'd be paying for that proximity where you use it or not. They also don't (or at least didn't last time I was there) have Uber, which is a really nice thing if you don't have a car.

You won't have a problem with internet or electricity in medium+ cities, although the reliability of the latter can depend on the neighborhood. Many apartments/homes in mild climate areas (including Mexico City, Guadalajara, Puebla, Querétaro, Cuernavaca, Chapala, San Mig, etc.) don't have AC because it's not necessary, there are occasional hot summer days but it cools down at night so many just use fans as needed. Not a blanket rule though, many nicer homes and apartments will have AC in at least one room.

Also most med+ sized cities will have your choice of grocery stores and shopping malls. Here in GDL we walk 10 minutes to the nearest modern supermarket, and can take a 10-15 minutes bus or Uber to bigger hypermarts like Mega, Walmart, Costco, or Chedrai.

Old 03-10-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I’d be up and down the Yucatán Peninsula cave diving and eating wonderful food.
A couple side trips to Cozumel for some drift diving, spearfishing and I would be in heaven.
I dig Mexico.
There is a lot to like.
Don't forget all the archaeological sites! It's an archaeologist's heaven!

Old 03-10-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Cancun off the resort strip isn't that bad, there are some nice quiet suburban neighborhoods. It wouldn't be very high on my list unless you're really into the beach scene, because you'd be paying for that proximity where you use it or not. They also don't (or at least didn't last time I was there) have Uber, which is a really nice thing if you don't have a car.
Who needs Uber, when you have cheap taxis? Really, you want Uber? Let the cab drivers earn a decent living; why would you need to cheapskate them, when everything's already so affordable anyway? You can't afford taxis in a 3rd world country?

Old 03-10-2020, 10:01 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,568,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Who needs Uber, when you have cheap taxis? Really, you want Uber? Let the cab drivers earn a decent living; why would you need to cheapskate them, when everything's already so affordable anyway? You can't afford taxis in a 3rd world country?
Uber is safer, more convenient, and don't need to have small bills.

I can afford taxis, but it isn't my job to ensure anyone earns a decent living, nor would I make the assumption that a taxi driver needs that money more than an Uber driver since I don't know the personal situation of either one.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:46 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,878,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Uber is safer, more convenient, and don't need to have small bills.

I can afford taxis, but it isn't my job to ensure anyone earns a decent living, nor would I make the assumption that a taxi driver needs that money more than an Uber driver since I don't know the personal situation of either one.
I second this. I take Uber or Didi for the protection of being tracked as much as anything. You really have no idea with taxis in some cities what you are getting into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico