Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 04:15 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,767,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Let's look at the facts here.

- The airport was built in the 1960s first, well before the prosperity the City sees today came along, so I find it funny that people complain so much.
- At least twice over the past 40 years, with the last one coming over 20 years ago, there were legitimate studies done to try and relocate the airport and turn into a more regional facility, once prosperity started moving in. This would have been the right move. But for various reasons, these fell through. A site was even tentatively selected if I remember correctly.
- A joke of a study was done back around 5-10 years ago that drug on forever, which was way overpriced and amounted to nothing. This pretty much cemented the idea that the airport wasn't moving.

Once the facts are on the table, yeah, I think the best thing to do would have been to relocate and create the 'Madison County Regional Airport' or something like that. Best for homeowners and best for Madison. But I think at this point, too many investments have now been made at the current airport to make it feasible to relocate it anytime soon. However, things change over time, people forget things. If enough people got up in arms, and enough demand from businesses was created for a larger-jet-capable airport in Madison County, I'm sure it would come up again.
Five minutes ago, I got a text that a white plane is flying over the City Hall area, at WELL BELOW the 500 foot limit. "You can see every detail of the plane. And that's its Cruising Altitude. It's just making a loop over the city, flying-level... just going around and around, and it's been doing that all-day. There's not much wind, and not a cloud in the sky. This is the weather we DREAD."

The people behind the proposed airport relocation, are the same pack of/sort of criminals behind Lake Leaky (https://www.city-data.com/forum/miss...tanowhere.html) and Kountry Tyme (http://kingfish1935.blogspot.com/201...st-hour_1.html). ...oh, and Canton Municipal Utilities' endless parade of brouhahas. (https://www.wlbt.com/2023/02/09/cmu-...rruption-case/) (I mention that last one, because my Assistant just swiveled the screen in front of her seat, toward me- we're en-route between Manhattan and Southampton - to show what Dowager Soybean Empress, in the Delta, is watching on HER TV. There's a new scandal involving CMU and Engineer Rudy Warnock)

Outside Madison-proper, things are still basically the way they were, back when Madison County was an unimaginably-primitive place - where criminality, fueled by the railroad running through the county, ran a close second to that of Rankin County's notorious 'Gold Coast'. It was unforeseeable what the new airport would have ended-up actually being. But it is a SURE THING, that it would have been a mess.

In any event, it is not the legitimate airport traffic which is causing the problem. The problem is a RECENT DEVELOPMENT, and is entirely the product of a few bad actors, who are being allowed to ruin the town.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 02-09-2023 at 04:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2023, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
This is from Madison (MS) Police Department facebook page dated Aug 5, 2022. Interesting.

**Update: The aircraft has been safely relocated to the Madison Airport. Madison Ave. is clear and open to all vehicular traffic.**

Aircraft Lands on Madison Avenue Near Rice Road

On Thursday, August 4, 2022, at approximately 7:34 PM, witnesses reported to the Madison Police Department that a small aircraft had landed on Madison Avenue and was located near the intersection of Rice Road in the City of Madison.

Police offices as well as the Madison Fire Department responded to the scene and upon arrival found that a Cessna 150F aircraft had in fact safely landed on the roadway. The pilot of the aircraft reported engine trouble which resulted in the impromptu landing. There was no damage to property and no injuries were reported. The FAA has been notified of the incident. The aircraft has been moved to the side of the roadway although one travel lane is partially blocked near the intersection.

Arrangements are being made to relocate the aircraft upon approval and consultation with the FAA.

Among the 123 shares this one by Gary V. Watkins was particularly interesting. I didn't finish reading the thread.

"Another forced landing, due to an engine issue coming out of Madison. This happened to me in April 4, 2020 and I landed on the Natchez Trace. If the pilot is reading this thread, please message me."
"It's been a beautiful, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL day in Madison! Not a plane in the sky!"

I got that, just a minute ago. Apparently, it's been too "gusty" for the student pilots and meth-addicted doctors, to do their little air stunts, today.

"Yeah, no black Rankin County LX, pulling into there... It's a blessed day!" Apparently, the new terminal's Ralph Lauren Country Collection look, is like catnip to anyone in the metro with aspirations - and that includes pilots, and pilots' wives, of a social-climbing bent. I mean, can you imagine being a doctor's wife - raised (somewhere on the outskirts of Brandon or Byram) to believe that Ralph Lauren is part of the Holy Trinity - and encountering that building - a building worthy of a Ralph Lauren Country photoshoot? https://www.pinterest.com/pin/rl-you...5421964899444/ We fly in and out of there, and I've seen those little blonde bowheads, who, daunted by the ambiance, clearly know they're in-over-their-rabbitfaced-little-heads. (https://www.google.com/search?client...id:guxaEsDxf9I) That terminal is impressive - deliberately agricultural in theme - but like a barn on Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney's Old Westbury estate - or something in Philadelphia Story. Or I can see Forrest Tucker doing his hypnotically-asymmetrical strut - with the Terminal's massive square white pillars in the background, subtly...suggestively... underscoring what's happening, sartorially - during Forrest's infamous and wildly-titillating jodhpurs scene, after the fox hunt in Auntie Mame.

I can see Catharine Hepburn being flippant there, after an afternoon of riding. Or, harder to picture, is Tawnyuh Deystini Caughtadoctor, trying to act like she "knows how to do, up in Madison" - and then climbing into some cheap little "Doctor Killer" with a propeller (no-doubt carrying some fake Vuitton), as her betters ascend into actual jets - their Goyard loaded into the jets for them. Tawnyuh Deystini is headed for a glamorous weekend at Grenada Lake.

Reading your latest post, dear Seadory, it's becoming clear why people there dread sunny days and windless days. Someone says she saw that news story, when it happened. "Well... It gave me a clue, as to why those little planes are so noisy. I forget which one "reached out" to which one: but neither looked like he possessed a pot or a window. And neither looked like the sort to have either the resources or the IQ to be pursuing flying as a hobby."

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 02-14-2023 at 06:22 PM..

Old 02-17-2023, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Einnseanair View Post
I agree that Madison is a Jewel in Mississippi. I lived there for a year right out of college.

I partially outlined in my comment above (the one after the one you quoted) why the flight problem is happening at Madison.

To summarize even further, you have an airport with lots of people nearby with enough disposable income to afford lessons and airplane rental time; they also have the ability to take an occasional Friday off from paying work to circle around in a noisy little plane; a flight lessons company (Madison Flyers) with ten noisy little planes ready to go (two were just purchased last month due to increased demand); and no limits on flight hours.

All this is compounded by the nearby Jackson International which restricts general aviation flights in the area to below 700-ft altitude.

As to how to fix it, I don't know. On one hand you have the rights of the people with money who want to fly and the rights of the business who wants to take their money. On the other hand you have the rights of the other nearby residents such as your night-shift ambulance driver who need sleep.

But here are some "off the cuff" suggestions, which may or may not be implementable. The FAA controls flights, and I don't know how much authority a local city government has in this area.
  • Require all aircraft based at the airport to have adequate mufflers and/or max noise levels. This should be legal.
  • Restrict flights below 700-ft to specific routes. So these training pilots can't just circle randomly; they have to follow a set path. Even better if this path is mostly over the Reservoir. I don't know if this is possible. It may require adjustments to the JAN flight zones.
  • Restrict hours of operation. I know some small airports have done this. But it doesn't help the night-shift ambulance driver. Plus getting a gen av license requires a certain number of night takeoffs and landings, so it can't be too restrictive.
  • Tax the flight company into oblivion, which is anti-capitalism and classic "government overreach".
  • Close down the airport, which pretty much isn't going to happen.

Since you still seem to be plugged in to Madison maybe you can voice these to the proper person.
I very much appreciate both your posts, and apologize for my delayed response. I've been distracted. But this morning, I awake (in the PNW, again), to find a new crop of communications from Madisonians. "Hell Day is in full-swing" "It's too windy and too cloudy, but the drugged-out docs are flying under the clouds, again - right over houses and businesses. Started just after 7." "Don't know if it's the meth crowd or Johnny Bravo & Company, but they're making-up for lost time. Yesterday was a beautiful day (no planes...), and so they seem committed to making today an exceptionally ugly day."

I love your first two suggestions. However, whatever established route those planes follow, will become the cancer that kills the town (nobody with good sense will want to live below that route, which will select for people without good sense. People without good sense, tend to run-off decent people, and you end up with a SLUM - then a dead city). Maybe that's what's already happening. I suspect it is. They're circling over the cheap little houses near City Hall, mostly - at least the flight school creatures are: over the houses of the little nobodies nobody cares about - expendable people, apparently. Of course, the City Center project is in that area, too, and the airplane noise has apparently caused more than one developer to back-out - if you believe developer talk, which I do, on certain levels.

A very dear City-Data friend has been looking for a place in Mississippi. I found her a place near City Hall - a '60s Ranch - but with very good Palladian "bones" - and with a pool - and with an exceptionally-big concrete driveway. Such a driveway would make gatherings easy. It would accommodate yard crews' unwieldy vehicles, ambulances, staff's cars - all sorts of logistics which are daunting when parking is limited. Well... she wants something with Southern Charm (in an artsy town far from Madison, where she'll end up with her throat cut - or worse - but I don't want to think of scenarios more grisly than the one foreshadowed in The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbdfrp I prefer Tennessee Williams deaths to Faulknerian deaths). So, various people were talking to realtors about the place. Multiple realtors described having that newly-refreshed house nearly-sold. "And then those planes would start, and the Buyers would notice and ask, and that was the end of that." The property stayed on the market, forever, and was finally sold to some Dukes-'o-Hazzard types, with jacked-up trucks, who promptly nailed a giant American flag to the garage wall (a breach of Flag Etiquette, for starters). And it could have been even worse than that.

And I found her a house in Brisage, which is gated. But it's ALSO being buzzed by those planes, as is Charlestowne and as is La Fraise (whose ponderous mansions are presumably inhabited by people who DO matter to someone). Brisage and Charlestowne and La Fraise, were all built before the current noise problem manifested itself. There was no problem when we lived there, prior to '09. Thank you for explaining the situation, in-depth. People in Madison County, are completely incapable of conveying even basic information, and you're the first person conversant in these matters, who's been able to describe the issues.

I suspect that the current situation is beyond the control of anyone at City Hall. This is why I suspect that what's been allowed to develop, is a matter of Aggression by Proxy. It's a concept at least as old as Babylon and Ancient Greece (I've studied how Babylonians employed it against my Hebrew ancestors, and how the Greeks employed it against my Sicilian forebears). But Google seems to be censoring the term, right now, which is interesting. Anyway, in addition to the multiple plots to murder Mary, and to destroy her in legal ways, there have been at least two 'Aggression-by-Proxy' campaigns. One of those, triggered our own exodus from the state. Some crooked developers caused a 'Country' radio station to launch a "humorous" Shock Jock campaign, against a commercial building. Basically, a White Trash mob (the nucleus of which, seems to have been a neighborhood featuring plastic fountains in its front yards) forced the destruction of decorative features which would have enriched the town's skyline. The fallout from that, destroyed at least two lives, although it did not succeed in destroying Mary. (who is not, and has not been, a personal friend of mine)

Then, there was the affair of 'The House of the Blue Peacocks'. Jackson Jambalaya: More peacock drama: shootouts and felonies According to those who'd know, there was a group of early-elderly swingers, who hung-out at the Yacht Club. One of those swingers was a local media personality. That person had some sort of connection with the inmates of 'The House of the Blue Peacocks'. With what (or with whom) that house was supplying the Yacht Club Media Personality Swinger, I have no idea. But a cabal-of-sorts arose, between one of the criminal developers, and that media personality (who knew how to get a story into national news). For those of us who know how to peel-back the layers, the resulting national news story, was a classic example of 'Aggression-by-Proxy'. Behind the actions of the Media Personality, it was easy to see the booze-bloated hand of one of the developers eager to destroy Mary.

If you think on a national and international scale, consider how many situations have mysteriously developed - subtly shaped by unseen hands. (suddenly, mail undelivered, package delivery problems, rioters allowed to run-amok and burn cities...). Apply that, at a local, micro, scale, and you have those noisy little planes destroying the heart of Madison. All you have to do, is remove the constraints, and bad actors will act bad, spontaneously - without bidding. Who's behind removing the constraints?

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 02-17-2023 at 12:20 PM..

Old 02-24-2023, 04:02 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
I bought this 45 in third grade. Good to hear it again.

Old 02-24-2023, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I bought this 45 in third grade. Good to hear it again.
Glad you enjoyed, dear Sheena!

Meanwhile, in Madison, HELL DAY proceeds with a vengeance. Earlier in the week, I was getting reports that things had gotten markedly better. However, today, there were more planes in the sky than ever, including, "A new little white one, shaped like a very-pregnant cat, or maybe a Goldfish Cracker. They're flying between 300 and 400 feet, in close proximity to each other - so close over the town, you can see their propellers - breaking every law in the book."

Today's other communications from old friends and former employees include:

"A private jet took off, right after one of the loud little flying lawnmowers with propellers. The JET WAS SO QUIET, compared to the flying lawnmower."

"It's hopeless. It's not going to stop. Nobody's going to stop them. Are you sure we can't park a motor home in your Wyoming barn and live there? (the whole world wants to live in our barn, it seems) We can afford to buy in Iowa, I suppose. And thanks for telling me about that secret place in Washington State, and about Eureka, California. We can spend a million, but would rather not. Goodbye, Mississippi! I can't take any more of this."

"Today, I learned that I can sleep in the bathroom, with my feet in one corner, beside the commode, and my head in the opposite corner by the linen closet. It's the only interior room in the house. And with a fan running, and using gun range earplugs, and with gun range earmuffs, I can actually sleep through the airplane noise!"

Old 03-29-2023, 03:49 PM

560 posts, read 785,728 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPgS26ZhqZs

It's Those Magnificent Men Of Madison In their Flying Machines!! And there's the student pilot in the flying machine that looks like the pregnant cat!

They're all frightfully keen,
those magnificent men in their flying machines.

Up, down, flying around,
Looping the loop and defying the ground.

Old 03-29-2023, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPgS26ZhqZs

It's Those Magnificent Men Of Madison In their Flying Machines!! And there's the student pilot in the flying machine that looks like the pregnant cat!

They're all frightfully keen,
those magnificent men in their flying machines.

Up, down, flying around,
Looping the loop and defying the ground.
Perfect timing, Seadory! 'The Pregnant Cat', I presume, is the one around 0:44. And, yes, that's the shape that's been described.

Within days after Bella dropped-in, to inform us that the flight school had acquired a new plane, 'The Pregnant Cat' was observed, for the first time, reportedly flying illegally-low over the town - just slowly and loudly buzzing-along, over new construction in the Historic District, like a blood-bloated mosquito. (that's the general shape: Pregnant Cat, Goldfish Cracker, Blood-bloated Mosquito) Ownership of 'The Pregnant Cat', has yet to be confirmed.

Can't be good for sales of those new Charleston-style houses...

I know of one competitor, who's marketing his own Charleston-style development, farther from the Airport - someone connected, vaguely, with the people who got the airport concession - who'd benefit from the creation of a noise nuisance above the Charleston-style development in the Historic District. Just a passing thought, though...

Back to 'The Pregnant Cat': a day or two back, someone else looked-up to see that thing buzzing over City Hall, "Couldn't have been over 200 feet. It may have been LESS than 200 feet. It was less than the width of two city lots, which are each 120 feet. Then, it made a sharp turn, and headed up the Old Highway, toward Ridgeland. I don't see how that could be interpreted as anything other than an act of aggression against the Mayor, like 'You cain't do a thing about it, neener neener neener!'."

But don't you love that whole crop of Zany movies from the '60s? People had been through two world wars, The Great Depression, and the Korean War. Between Thalidomide Babies, being taught to duck-and-cover, and being told they couldn't make Snow Ice Cream, anymore (Fallout), they needed reassuring. They needed to be reassured that things were going to be OK, from now on. ...that it would be OK to have babies and build fine, brick, all-electric dream homes. Just as in the Russias, nobody wanted to bring babies into the world, and it took movies like that, to make them believe that life would (finally) be worth living. And the CARS from that era, 'The Age of Elegance'! The Four-door Thunderbird: a mini-limousine, with its own Landau bar - and the c-pillar privacy panel opening with the center-opening door - just like on a '20s Sedanca Deville! (which reminds me of the movie, 'The Yellow Rolls Royce' - another feel-good movie from that era) ...and those wonderful early-'60s Continentals ...and those early Eldorados!

Then, 6 decades later - six decades after you, as a child, had been convinced by those zany movies, that life was going to be OK - imagine having been driven from Jackson - or from any of the dying places between Pine Bluff, Arkansas, and Anniston, Alabama - and investing what little you have left (after having your home equity wiped-out - once, twice, how many times?) in a house in Madison, a lifeboat in that sea of Southern despair, to look up, one day, and realize that the skies above your home are being targeted. You know what Aggression-by-Proxy looks like, because you've endured it, before (plenty of people have endured it multiple times). This time, it seems possible, it's the pilots who're being used as the agents of aggression.

(Not that there is an alternative to Madison. If you're going to live between Pine Bluff and Anniston - or between Memphis and New Orleans - Madison is still, by far, your best bet.)

Oh, and, last time we were crossing the Reservoir, Izzi pointed-out 2 planes circling over Roses Bluff. That can be the only imaginable reason why THIS total slice of Heaven could still be on the market. I know what expensive hardscaping looks like, and am not sure that I could have even just the retaining wall and boat slip built for 1.5 million. I've been taught to spot waterside construction with deep pilings. The problem's got to be those planes... https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...pid/?mmlb=g,20 And that China Room! Oh, what a happy spot for sitting and figuring where to position whom! I might even fill-out the placecards, myself... might...

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 03-29-2023 at 07:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson