Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 01:36 PM

19,744 posts, read 10,178,060 times

Advertisements

Can't afford treatment, you die. Problem solved. Just like other 3rd world countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2024, 03:40 PM

17,466 posts, read 22,211,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Can you buy a car without arranging payment first?
Cars will give you a 5 yr loan to pay for it..............Will hospitals?

Old 05-12-2024, 03:48 PM

14,390 posts, read 11,802,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Can't afford treatment, you die. Problem solved. Just like other 3rd world countries.
My 76-year-old brother is on Medicare. He has a rare blood cancer and gets a chemo infusion every other month to keep him going. Each treatment is $17k and it's not covered by Medicare. When he was informed of this, he said he couldn't afford it. They said no problem and set up a payment plan with a low payment. He will never pay it off, but this didn't seem to bother them and he won't die from not getting treatment.

Old 05-12-2024, 07:04 PM

3,359 posts, read 1,742,750 times
This is why Americans don't understand why healthcare costs are so high. It doesn't matter if the government pays 100% of the cost.

It's supply and demand, the number of healthcare professionals that can perform surgeries are in very low numbers vs so many patients.

Countries with cheaper healthcare have a much higher % of doctors surgeons to patients.

So we need to look at why there's not enough healthcare professionals before we keep complaining about lack of hospitals.

Old 05-12-2024, 07:49 PM

34,147 posts, read 83,188,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
So we need to look at why there's not enough healthcare professionals before we keep complaining about lack of hospitals.
The AMA runs the medical schools and the AHA runs everything else.
hth

Old 05-12-2024, 09:35 PM

37,216 posts, read 41,413,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The AMA runs the medical schools and the AHA runs everything else.
hth
The AMA does not run medical schools. Fewer than a fifth of doctors are even members.

AHA has no control over physicians.

Old 05-13-2024, 07:17 AM

8,133 posts, read 7,506,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

That hedge fund that owns your local hospital must be paid first.

Ain't America great?
Don't worry, Obama has a plan that's gonna fix it by 2015. It'll be great.

Old 05-13-2024, 07:29 AM

19,914 posts, read 9,469,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
How do you feel about knee replacements, vasectomies, cataract surgery, and the like? They are also elective surgery.
If they pay the copay, no problem. I believe in live and let live, but not at anyone else's expense, although I would not have a problem with government-paid vasectomies or 'permanent' contraception for the poor -- and PLEASE don't misunderstand that! I am NOT saying that the poor should be sterilized, but if they want such an operation and can't afford to pay for it, it would almost certainly save money in the long run; and I also would be in favor of government assistance in cases involving younger persons in which the operation would allow them to keep working or would allow kids to participate in school activities.

And just as a side note, I am very much against all the sense of entitlement going on in ALL socioeconomic groups! I truly do not want anyone to actually suffer (except for criminals), but look at what people endured even 100 years ago before there were such surgeries. Again, if people can pay, no problem -- just don't expect others to pay UNLESS (as I said) it is truly an emergency and/or life saving surgery. All of the examples you mentioned are scheduled ahead of time.

P.S. I did find the posts about the 70-90% deductions for cash to be very interesting. Why hospitals don't bill the real costs plus a small profit is puzzling to me.

Last edited by katharsis; 05-13-2024 at 08:17 AM..

Old 05-14-2024, 02:07 PM

19,744 posts, read 10,178,060 times
Hospitals are not required to take Medicare or Medicaid. People on those usually get many unnecessary tests to pad the bill. People can go in with sore feet and get a chest x ray. I have a couple family members who are RNs. They talk all the time about the procedures done that are not needed.

Old 05-14-2024, 02:37 PM

37,216 posts, read 41,413,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Hospitals are not required to take Medicare or Medicaid. People on those usually get many unnecessary tests to pad the bill. People can go in with sore feet and get a chest x ray. I have a couple family members who are RNs. They talk all the time about the procedures done that are not needed.
Medicare and Medicaid (at least in GA) pay by the diagnosis, not on a line item basis. More tests will not increase the payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance