Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 07:54 AM

15,005 posts, read 12,212,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Well, your daughter in law paid for that 'loan' somehow. Or everybody did, which is why health care costs are so outrageously high, every single thing nickel & dimed. Like being invoiced for Tylenol at $28 a dose. Hospitals aren't banks and they don't offer payment plans out of the goodness of their heart - someone made money off that loan.
The people I know who have set up payment plans with their providers ( some family members included) were not charged interest with the payment plans. They offer payment plans from the perspective that they would likely get nothing from the patient unless the patient can pay smaller amounts over time.

Ahhhhh, that old tale about the $$fill in the high amount.....$$ tylenol. One more time, hospitals and healthcare facilities can bill whatever amount they like to insurance companies, what they get is determined by the insurance company, significantly less than what was billed. Medicare reimbursement is pi$$ poor, often as little as 10% of the billed amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 08:49 AM

13,142 posts, read 21,077,639 times
Point of clarification. Emergency medical care is covered under EMTALA. Emergency life care isn't what this subject is about. All the surgeries/procedures discussed in the article and in other articles are not life saving emergency care. None of the surgeries/procedures discussed will cause a person to die if the surgery is delayed until payment is received or other options or resources are explored.

Old 05-10-2024, 09:01 AM

4,612 posts, read 2,749,398 times
Well, if the medical and insurance industries WANTED to make sure the government would take over health care, they're doing exactly the right kinds of things to make that happen.

Of all the medical professionals I've dealt with in my life, I have only good feelings about 99% of them. Their billing systems, insurance systems, coding, and office staff - definitely NOT.

Old 05-10-2024, 09:14 AM

11,197 posts, read 9,812,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Did anyone ever die due to a lack of financing when they wanted to buy a car?

The Greatest Country In The World?
Hospitals are obliged to provide lifesaving care, including emergency surgery, to anyone who is in a life-or-death situation, regardless of their ability to pay. Now elective surgery is a whole different issue. Even if medically necessary, elective surgery must get pre-approval from the insurance company.

If the person is uninsured or needs or wants a surgery that isn't covered by their plan, there are medical finance companies that will finance the surgery, usually repaid with a monthly deduction from your paycheck. Cosmetic dental work is often done this way, as well as big dollar items like crowns and implants. Many people's dental only covers a certain amount towards crowns, and often the cost is twice what your insurance covers, so this dental finance plan will work with people as long as they have income.

I have great insurance, but I have a surgical deductible of $200. I've been asked to pay the deductible up front before surgery. It's no big deal to me. To someone who wanted to save money by purchasing high deductible insurance, it might be a problem, but they took that chance when they chose that insurance. If that is someone's choice, I hope they considered their ability to pay the deductible out of pocket or have a credit line to cover it.

Last edited by TheShadow; 05-10-2024 at 09:26 AM..

Old 05-10-2024, 09:25 AM

45,557 posts, read 60,809,385 times
We had to do that with Mrs. NBP's cataract surgery when she upgraded from the base lenses to the premium ones.

Old 05-10-2024, 05:56 PM

9,018 posts, read 13,869,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Well, your daughter in law paid for that 'loan' somehow. Or everybody did, which is why health care costs are so outrageously high, every single thing nickel & dimed. Like being invoiced for Tylenol at $28 a dose. Hospitals aren't banks and they don't offer payment plans out of the goodness of their heart - someone made money off that loan.
It is not the people that have surgeries that is the problem-its the people who think they do NOT need health insurance that is the problem-until they do. And that costs thousands of dollars.

Anyway,I can see this becoming a problem,and making it the Supreme Court. Why? It conflicts with the EMTALA ACT.

What if someone needs an emergency surgery and does not have the money for the deductible? That is a violation of the EMTALA ACT

Old 05-10-2024, 07:58 PM

1,048 posts, read 574,133 times
I wonder where these stories come from?

I live in a senior community that numbers about 800 people. We all have different types of insurance. Most of us have Medicare Advantage plans or Original Medicare.

Not one single person has had to pay in advance for anything at a hospital. Not for surgeries, not for admitting, not for ER, nothing. And we are surrounded by hospitals. Baptist, Presbyterian, UAMS, and several others are within a mile or two from here.

Old 05-10-2024, 08:23 PM

3,475 posts, read 2,462,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Can you buy a car without arranging payment first?
No, but I wouldn't pay for a mechanic to repair my car until he's finished repairing it.

Old 05-10-2024, 08:35 PM

3,475 posts, read 2,462,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Hospitals are obliged to provide lifesaving care, including emergency surgery, to anyone who is in a life-or-death situation, regardless of their ability to pay. Now elective surgery is a whole different issue. Even if medically necessary, elective surgery must get pre-approval from the insurance company.

If the person is uninsured or needs or wants a surgery that isn't covered by their plan, there are medical finance companies that will finance the surgery, usually repaid with a monthly deduction from your paycheck. Cosmetic dental work is often done this way, as well as big dollar items like crowns and implants. Many people's dental only covers a certain amount towards crowns, and often the cost is twice what your insurance covers, so this dental finance plan will work with people as long as they have income.

I have great insurance, but I have a surgical deductible of $200. I've been asked to pay the deductible up front before surgery. It's no big deal to me. To someone who wanted to save money by purchasing high deductible insurance, it might be a problem, but they took that chance when they chose that insurance. If that is someone's choice, I hope they considered their ability to pay the deductible out of pocket or have a credit line to cover it.
I need full hip replacement surgery. I have severe osteoarthritis in that hip, osteoporosis in both hips and my spine, osteopenia, and degenerative disk disease. I'm in pain 24/7, but because I'm super-flexible, I'm able to walk and even dance and manage my pain with only rare need for tylenol. I'm bone-on-bone on that hip and the surgeon was surprised to see how well I was able to get around. It's because I also have Ehler-Danlos syndrome, which causes super-elastic skin, double-jointedness, and connective tissue weirdness among other things.

I really REALLY want that surgery. But I have a zero deductible, but a 9800 out of pocket max. So they can charge me $9800 for the hip surgery, and because it's "valued" at 25,000, and I only pay $9800, I'm getting a bit of a break. I'd have to pay up front for the initial surgery. And I'd pay the balance after the follow up appointments. i'm exercising and hopeing it helps me enough that I can delay the surgery until my medicare kicksin in 2 year when i'm eligible for Meicare. Just two more years..

Old 05-10-2024, 08:57 PM

4,358 posts, read 7,264,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I wonder where these stories come from?

I live in a senior community that numbers about 800 people. We all have different types of insurance. Most of us have Medicare Advantage plans or Original Medicare.

Not one single person has had to pay in advance for anything at a hospital. Not for surgeries, not for admitting, not for ER, nothing. And we are surrounded by hospitals. Baptist, Presbyterian, UAMS, and several others are within a mile or two from here.
Those with Medicare insurance can’t be forced to pay out-of-pocket copays in advance. But private insurance doesn’t have those protections.

Many private commercial insurance plans these days may have high deductibles, like $4000-$5000, before insurance pays anything. Medicare deductibles are low, and most Advantage plans are zero deductible, so there is less risk a patient wouldn’t be able to pay their portion, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance