Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2023, 09:16 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times

Advertisements

I see that this is a place where you can join and get a coupon for a discount on certain drugs. But is there a monthly cost to do this? Where does this company get its money? I'm all for using whatever means I can to lower drug prices, but is there a catch I'm not seeing with this company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2023, 10:48 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Please do a basic search! It's free.

Old 11-24-2023, 11:29 AM

5,423 posts, read 3,482,156 times
You don't have to pay to use GoodRX but they do have paid plans. I have a free card. When I go to Publix Pharmacy (I'm sure others are the same) they first ring up my prescription at my Medicare D cost which in my one example is $25, when I tell them I want to use GoodRx they use their own card and the cost comes down to about $6. I don't know how this works, I'm just glad it does.

One prescription I got from my dentist was for a certain toothpaste to use because I was having some tooth pain, it rang up about $60 but with GoodRx it came down to $25. I'm happy to use GoodRx. I only filled that one once.

Old 11-24-2023, 11:33 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,774,310 times
It's free, no membership required. I use it for my Epipens which can be in the $400-$600 range even with insurance, probably because I never fulfill the deductible. With GoodRx, I paid $144 in August 2023. Quick and easy. I've received the cards in the mail via a mass mailing or you can print one out from the website.

I don't know how they make their money - just never bothered to research it. I'm not concerned about that, just happy that I don't have to pay a fortune to keep my Epipens going. Works for me!

Old 11-24-2023, 12:31 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
I am not 100% sure but they function like a pharmacy benefit manager (PBM). They buy drugs at a discount and then mark them up to be competitive with retail and insurance plans.

This link with Walgreens searches several similar plans and ranks them by price:

https://walgreens.rxsense.com/?BAN=QR_CPRxTool

Old 11-24-2023, 04:50 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I see that this is a place where you can join and get a coupon for a discount on certain drugs. But is there a monthly cost to do this? Where does this company get its money? I'm all for using whatever means I can to lower drug prices, but is there a catch I'm not seeing with this company?

All you have to do is download the GoodRx app or go to GoodRx.com
. You do not have to join anything unless the medication you want to fill is cheaper using the GoodRX gold plan at $9.99 a month.

Enter the name of the medication you want to fill, it will show you the various prices at different pharmacies.

I'm not sure how it works, it just works to offer the best price.

If you have prescription insurance, it's possible that your prescriptions are cheaper using Good RX then it is to use insurance.

This last year, all of my prescriptions were $10 to $30 cheaper using GoodRX then my medicare part D prescription plan.

Old 11-24-2023, 06:36 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
My cynical side says that GoodRX is going to monetize your personal data in some way. Nothing is free.

Old 11-24-2023, 07:24 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
My cynical side says that GoodRX is going to monetize your personal data in some way. Nothing is free.
Here is some info on how GoodRX makes money

https://finty.com/us/business-models...drx-make-money

Old 11-24-2023, 08:58 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
You're on the mark. They did get nabbed for this. Those who have their app or subscribed online had their information shared with others. I also understand that some PBM's shared prescription information on those who used a coupon for their prescription even if its a non-subscription or app coupon (the general one you can get without giving GoodRx your information).

So in essence, anyone who has their app or is a subscriber had their information shared. Now, we're also hearing that those who had the app may have had other information from their device shared with marketers or data collectors even when not using the app. However, the recent $13 million dollar settlement basically slammed the door in the individual users face as to monetary recourse for their information being shared outside GoodRX.

Old 11-24-2023, 11:19 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
It's often a good deal, but sometimes would actually cost more.

I got a discount on a pricey vaccination, saved $50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance