Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 07:40 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I remember once years ago calling Walmart to get the price of some prescription I had, and they wouldn't give it over the phone. Wonder if that's still the case? Otherwise, how do you go about price shopping?
Still the case. Though Walmart did give me a quote over the phone last month. It depends on the person answering the phone.

Some pharmacies wanted a written prescription before they would give me a quote. I had my doctor write a prescription that I took store to store.

The law needs to be that a pharmacy MUST give you a price quote over the phone without a written prescription.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
When you look up the drug on GoodRX it lists multiple pharmacies along with their respective prices.
It does. However, that is a third party site so a pharmacy could always DENY that quote.

However, I went to a grocery store pharmacy for a quote on a years supply, filled at one time for two common generic drugs.

The quote I got was for $700 for one and $500 for the other.

The Good RX site listed the same pharmacy with a quote of $60 and $30 for a years supply.

I gave them the script and they filled it for the Good RX price. What was the 1200 quote all about?? Is that any way to run a business??

I fill my prescriptions for the entire year after seeing my doctor. Don't have to go back to the pharmacy every 90 days!!

I travel a lot so this really helps get rid of those extra trips to the pharmacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2024, 04:43 PM

1,703 posts, read 804,442 times
GoodRx doesn't count against your deductible so savings today may cost you later. 0robably a wash but who knows?

Old 04-10-2024, 02:51 PM

62 posts, read 14,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I see that this is a place where you can join and get a coupon for a discount on certain drugs. But is there a monthly cost to do this? Where does this company get its money? I'm all for using whatever means I can to lower drug prices, but is there a catch I'm not seeing with this company?

My Doctors Office has cards with Good Rx numbers. It is the Best discount Prescription card out there.

I have Ambien and Prev-acid that is not covered with Medicare and I use Good Rx reduced price rate to get my prescription at Rite Aite.

They work with various Pharmacies to get reduced rates on drugs and offer the cards to people like us..

It is a huge win win.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:10 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoconoCountryLady View Post
My Doctors Office has cards with Good Rx numbers. It is the Best discount Prescription card out there.

I have Ambien and Prev-acid that is not covered with Medicare and I use Good Rx reduced price rate to get my prescription at Rite Aite.

They work with various Pharmacies to get reduced rates on drugs and offer the cards to people like us..

It is a huge win win.
Sometimes that's all true. Sometimes it isn't. They don't offer zolpidem at Sam's Club prices, and Sam's Club is sometimes less expensive than anything GoodRx can get you. Sometimes it's more. The last time I got a refill, it was more, so I transferred it to Publix. Publix charged less than the GoodRx price for Publix. It was also less than my insurance co-pay. I can't figure out how they calculate the prices of meds.

There's another pharmacy near me that has the cheapest prices, hands down. GoodRx says I'd pay $7.60 for a 90-day supply, but the last time I was able to get it at this private pharmacy, it was only 89 cents for a 90-day supply. But they're often out of the med I need. With zolpidem, you can't order more than 3 days before the supply runs out. So when you have to wait a week, you end up with 4 days and no meds. That'd be 4 days with no sleeping (I'm a chronic insomniac).

GoodRx is a great guideline though.

Old 04-11-2024, 10:19 AM

5,423 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
There's another pharmacy near me that has the cheapest prices, hands down. GoodRx says I'd pay $7.60 for a 90-day supply, but the last time I was able to get it at this private pharmacy, it was only 89 cents for a 90-day supply. But they're often out of the med I need. With zolpidem, you can't order more than 3 days before the supply runs out. So when you have to wait a week, you end up with 4 days and no meds. That'd be 4 days with no sleeping (I'm a chronic insomniac).

Why do you have to wait a week if it's 3 days before your supply runs out? I'm confused why you end up with no meds for 4 days.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have never used it because my prescriptions are all under $15, most $5, but my wife has. She had one prescription come to $60, and the pharmacy person suggested Goodrx and it was just over $20. When she told me I asked if she saw any TV cameras because it sounded just like their commercials.

Old 04-17-2024, 04:11 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoconoCountryLady View Post

It is a huge win win.

For the last 5 or so years, Medicare part D plans won't cover my generic lunesta sleeping pill. I'm thankful GoodRx covers it.

Someone I know has insurance through NJ family care. They used to cover generic lunesta but stopped December 31st.

Good Rx has covered it at CVS for about $25 until June 2023, they would only cover it at CVS with GoodRx gold. Doing a 90 day script was about $20 cheaper then a 30 day script.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Sometimes that's all true. Sometimes it isn't. They don't offer zolpidem at Sam's Club prices, and Sam's Club is sometimes less expensive than anything GoodRx can get you. Sometimes it's more. The last time I got a refill, it was more, so I transferred it to Publix. Publix charged less than the GoodRx price for Publix. It was also less than my insurance co-pay. I can't figure out how they calculate the prices of meds.

I'm in NJ, for sleeping pills, if you have a 90 day script that you want to fill every 30 days, they now need a new prescription because of the class of medications it is, according to my local CVS. I don't know if this is CVS policy, a NJ law or federal. This is something new this year.

Old 04-17-2024, 11:37 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
For the last 5 or so years, Medicare part D plans won't cover my generic lunesta sleeping pill. I'm thankful GoodRx covers it.

Someone I know has insurance through NJ family care. They used to cover generic lunesta but stopped December 31st.

Good Rx has covered it at CVS for about $25 until June 2023, they would only cover it at CVS with GoodRx gold. Doing a 90 day script was about $20 cheaper then a 30 day script.

I'm in NJ, for sleeping pills, if you have a 90 day script that you want to fill every 30 days, they now need a new prescription because of the class of medications it is, according to my local CVS. I don't know if this is CVS policy, a NJ law or federal. This is something new this year.
If you have a 90-day rx, then it's meant for you to fill once, every 90 days. If you want a 30-day rx with two refills, you have to get it specified that way.

On top of that, your insurance might have other requirements, your state might have other requirements, and the store might have other policies.

It's pretty crazy.

For me, I get 90-day rx with 1 refill. I'm not allowed to request the refill until the 88th day after the previous one (two days before I run out). Fortunately for me, I was trying to wean off over a year ago by taking only half of one, a few nights every week. So now, I have around two weeks of pills left, when I'm allowed to request the refill. If I'm stuck out of town for a few days, or a day when the pharmacy's closed that I want to call in the Rx, I don't actually ever have to worry about running out.

Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Another prescription savings plan, similar to GoodRX is Mark Cuban's Cost Plus Drugs. It works the same as GoodRX, and might have a lower price than GoodRX on some medications. It wouldn't hurt to check which is cheaper for your specific meds.

Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM

50,333 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Another prescription savings plan, similar to GoodRX is Mark Cuban's Cost Plus Drugs. It works the same as GoodRX, and might have a lower price than GoodRX on some medications. It wouldn't hurt to check which is cheaper for your specific meds.
Blinkhealth.com also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance