Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 06:10 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Fuzzyduck will wind up as cookedduck if the ATF traces his location.9
From what I've read the penalty is 1-3 years in prison and a fine. Simply taking it off and using one like you have ScoPro would save him from this fate OR paying 200 dollars for a tax stamp. The advantage of a tax stamp is that he could also install a stock instead of the hand brace.

If I knew the guy's address I would send him a three-year supply of soap on a rope which would make his stay in prison more pleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2024, 08:11 AM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cmmg/commen...nds_in_update/

This is the reddit thread that triggered me. Seems to me you are playing with fire when you add questionable accessories. The utility of a foregrip doesn't seem to be worth the risk of one to three years in jail.
If one follows the rules, what’s the issue?

Vertical fore grips on a AR pistol are verboten, but as has been noted, angled are OK. The one in question is clearly angled, isn’t it? And as previously mentioned, it could certainly be an SBR or MG.

Do you believe he’s risking 1-3 years in jail for a legal accessory?

Old 03-09-2024, 08:43 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If one follows the rules, what’s the issue?

Vertical fore grips on a AR pistol are verboten, but as has been noted, angled are OK. The one in question is clearly angled, isn’t it? And as previously mentioned, it could certainly be an SBR or MG.

Do you believe he’s risking 1-3 years in jail for a legal accessory?
It is questionable if it is an angled grip, unlike the picture ScoPro posted. Anyway, I guess it is none of my business. The thing I worry about is the many people who have bought an AR-type pistol and did not research the laws. I wouldn't think twice about adding a foregrip if I hadn't looked up the law on it.

Old 03-09-2024, 08:51 AM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
It is questionable if it is an angled grip, unlike the picture ScoPro posted. Anyway, I guess it is none of my business. The thing I worry about is the many people who have bought an AR-type pistol and did not research the laws. I wouldn't think twice about adding a foregrip if I hadn't looked up the law on it.
That to me is the issue. Too many people don’t understand the laws. You get a 19 year old who buys his first AR pistol and wants to dress it up. So he adds a fore grip, and has no idea that a small difference in design could make his new pistol illegal.

These types of gotchas are not uncommon in the gun world. With the myriad complex laws governing firearms, it’s all to easy for one to inadvertently get sideways with the law, and land in a lot of hot water.

Buyer beware!

Old 03-09-2024, 11:17 AM

3,246 posts, read 1,739,106 times
The angled foregrip is nice for off-hand shooting with a USGI sling, you can really lock your support hand in. Great way to pick up a few points in a match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting