Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 07:58 PM

734 posts, read 482,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
My sister was 93, she went to bed and didn't wake up. Not a bad way to go.

I am the only one one of my generation in the extended family still surviving. That tends to chew on you. I will be 90 in a couple of weeks.
Happy 90th birthday! (even know it's too early)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 04:32 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
I'd be interested in hearing the experiences of those who've lost siblings. Yes, grief is universal, but the grief of surviving siblings seems overshadowed by those who've lost children, spouses and parents. I think sibling grief is somewhat unique phenomenon and process unto itself, and it's hard to connect with a community of individuals who've experienced this, even within grief support groups. I lost my brother who was only 2 1/2 years older than me very recently, and I'd like to be in touch with some people who know what this type of loss is like, even as an adult. I'd also like to gather a sense of what my future may look like, in terms of this process, my changed identity and so on.
I am the youngest of four boys -- 20 years younger than the oldest, who died in 2005 of a freak cancer, age 66.

With that much of an age difference, that bro was a little more like a kindly uncle than a brother.

The survivors are 10 and 15 years older and predictably, I'm closest to youngest of one and I'm sure that will be a very different experience when he passes ... although I have made a point of late to spend an hour or so on the phone with him every Sunday afternoon ... I hope not to have any regrets there. Last Sunday I remoted into his computer and helped him set up a new backup drive -- so I do some practical things for him too, though we're 1,000 miles apart. He's 77 but in very poor health. Paradoxically, that he's at least a weekly part of my life now will leave more of a void when he goes, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning