Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 06:08 PM

167 posts, read 334,797 times

Advertisements

I may be relocating to Ft. Worth for a position at Alcon and would like feedback on nice, safe areas to live that do not have a long commute to work. I am a single, middle age female with no children, so school districts don't matter except for resale value. Rent can go up to $2500/month and housing cost up to $400k. Would ideally like to have 1/2 acre or more so I'm not right up against the neighbors and the dog will have a decent sized backyard to play in. At night, if the windows are open I want to hear crickets, not traffic, horns, sirens or people. I am a quiet person that prefers suburbs which lean slightly more rural than they do urban. It seems like Burleson might fit most of that criteria. Can anyone recommend certain areas in that town that would be closest to what I'm looking for? Are there any areas to avoid? Also, are there other towns that you would recommend to check out as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 06:44 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
A few things to note:

Alcon is in an industrial part of town, and most of the immediate surrounding area, especially the part of Fort Worth that's located to the north and east, is high crime and not safe for a single female. So, in order to live in a safe area, especially one that will have a rural feel, you're going to have to give up on the short commute.

Burleson would work for you, but a 1/2 acre lot in your price range is gong to be difficult. Most builder homes in the DFW area are built on 1/4 acre or smaller. Personally, I would start looking in Alvarado, and the towns south of Burleson: Joshua, Briaroaks, etc. Those areas will be more likely to have homes that fit your criteria.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:28 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunduri View Post
I may be relocating to Ft. Worth for a position at Alcon and would like feedback on nice, safe areas to live that do not have a long commute to work. I am a single, middle age female with no children, so school districts don't matter except for resale value. Rent can go up to $2500/month and housing cost up to $400k. Would ideally like to have 1/2 acre or more so I'm not right up against the neighbors and the dog will have a decent sized backyard to play in. At night, if the windows are open I want to hear crickets, not traffic, horns, sirens or people. I am a quiet person that prefers suburbs which lean slightly more rural than they do urban. It seems like Burleson might fit most of that criteria. Can anyone recommend certain areas in that town that would be closest to what I'm looking for? Are there any areas to avoid? Also, are there other towns that you would recommend to check out as well?
For a half acre or more and a rural feel, I'd look west of Fort Worth, beyond the suburban developments.

What's a long commute in your opinion?

Old 02-27-2019, 07:33 PM

Thanks, ChristieP. I can give a little on the lot size if needed as long as the neighborhood is nice and fairly quiet. I'll look at the other areas you've suggested. One concern I have is that it seems the homes in Burleson that are currently for sale have sat on the market for a long time (150+ days in many instances). I've had to move quite a bit (every 3yrs or so) for work so if I do purchase, it will be important to find a home in an area where the houses don't linger too long on the market before they sell, just in case I need to move again in a few years.

Campeador--I'd like to keep the commute around 15-20 min.

Also, it doesn't have to be really rural. If you look at a continuum of urban------suburban------rural, I'd like it to be suburban leaning more toward rural instead of suburban leaning toward urban.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:01 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
This time of year is the slowest time to buy a house. Most people start looking to buy in March, and move after school lets out in late May so their kids won't have to change schools mid-year. Perhaps those houses have issues, such as poor schools or they are in bad shape?

Old 02-27-2019, 08:37 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
I have had many friends work for Alcon and most of them had very little positive to say about the experience. The politics can be ugly and brutal there. Until you know you like it there and wish to stay long-term keep your monetary commitment low and have a back-up plan in case you can't stand the environment.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:21 AM

1,844 posts, read 830,741 times
Most areas south of 1187 should fit what you're looking for. Joshua, Rendon, & most of the unincorporated areas between Burleson/Alvarado would be my best guess.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the heads-up Tcualum. I've worked in the pharma/device industry for 20 years in big and small companies. They all have politics. I agree with your comment to keep initial investment low because if it does not work out, I'd likely have to move back to the North East because there aren't alot of pharma jobs in the DFW area. This is one reason I'm concerned about the length of time that houses in Burleson are sitting on the market. These are very nice homes in the 400k range that are sitting for 6 months. That makes me concerned about purchasing and I'm leaning toward renting right now.

So, bringing things back to my original question, I'll look at Burleson, Joshua, Briaroaks, etc....

If anyone can recommend specific neighborhoods in Burleson, I'd appreciate it. Despite the small lots, it is close to work and seems like a safe place to live, so renting on a small lot wouldn't be all that bad to start out.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:03 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
I have a British friend who was moved over by Novartis from their Switzerland offices to help facilitate the merger. The level of backbiting and dirty politics he experienced at Alcon was like nothing he'd seen. He was forced out by some Alcon employees who found him threatening. He was told by a prominent employment law attorney that he had a clear cut case but he wouldn't win because he'd be buried financially by Novartis. He now works at a pharmaceutical company in Silicon Valley and is much happier. I've heard negative stories from other people who have chosen to leave. One friend of mine ended of changing careers as a result of her time there. I'm not saying you'll have a bad experience. I'm sure many people don't. I just wanted to warn you since you're relocating her for the job.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:28 PM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunduri View Post
Thanks, ChristieP. I can give a little on the lot size if needed as long as the neighborhood is nice and fairly quiet. I'll look at the other areas you've suggested. One concern I have is that it seems the homes in Burleson that are currently for sale have sat on the market for a long time (150+ days in many instances). I've had to move quite a bit (every 3yrs or so) for work so if I do purchase, it will be important to find a home in an area where the houses don't linger too long on the market before they sell, just in case I need to move again in a few years.

Campeador--I'd like to keep the commute around 15-20 min.

Also, it doesn't have to be really rural. If you look at a continuum of urban------suburban------rural, I'd like it to be suburban leaning more toward rural instead of suburban leaning toward urban.
15-20 minutes is not being considered a commute in DFW but living almost next door.
Resale - location, location, location and price. We sold in one week in November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth