Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 04:11 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Perhaps there are plenty of cheaper homes that are perfectly good but don't appeal to you.
The "large lot" requirement can be a real deal-breaker in DFW. We just don't have a lot of homes on a large lot until you get over $500k, or are willing to drive in from a rural area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 04:19 PM

167 posts, read 334,854 times
@ChristieP--yeah, I've given up on the big lot part. :-D

@Campeador--In the past 10 years, I've relocated from PA to NC to IL to NJ and now to TX (maybe). I did rent for a year first in IL before buying but only because they decided to sell the house I was renting. However, having moved this many times in 10 years--and being 50 now--I'm tired and really don't want to rent for a year, just to move yet again after a purchase. They usually allow 3 months in temp housing when you can get a feel for the area. I'd like to narrow in on areas where the homes move quickly, so if I have to move in 2-3 years, the home will sell quickly. That's what I've learned from moving so much for work--buy in an area where the house will sell quickly. Other than the home having to be a single family (no duplexes, no condos) and located in a safe, desirable area, I can be flexible with other aspects of the house.

Last edited by Sunduri; 03-03-2019 at 04:31 PM..

Old 03-03-2019, 04:42 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunduri View Post
@ChristieP--yeah, I've given up on the big lot part. :-D

@Campeador--In the past 10 years, I've relocated from PA to NC to IL to NJ and now to TX (maybe). I did rent for a year first in IL before buying but only because they decided to sell the house I was renting. However, having moved this many times in 10 years--and being 50 now--I'm tired and really don't want to rent for a year, just to move yet again after a purchase. They usually allow 3 months in temp housing when you can get a feel for the area. I'd like to narrow in on areas where the homes move quickly, so if I have to move in 2-3 years, the home will sell quickly. That's what I've learned from moving so much for work--buy in an area where the house will sell quickly. Other than the home having to be a single family (no duplexes, no condos) and located in a safe, desirable area, I can be flexible with other aspects of the house.
Everyone moving to DFW wants close to work, reasonable prices, all the amenities possible, safe area and guaranteed easy resale. Nobody can tell you today what the market will look like when you sell. Sales are driven by location, condition and price.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Everyone moving to DFW wants close to work, reasonable prices, all the amenities possible, safe area and guaranteed easy resale. Nobody can tell you today what the market will look like when you sell. Sales are driven by location, condition and price.
Agreed--there is no guarantee that an area will remain desirable forever, but one can usually earmark certain areas that are more likely than others to keep their value (Tanglewood, for example) in the next 10 years or so. Those are the areas where I try to buy when moving to a new state.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:30 PM

295 posts, read 949,016 times
Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up Tcualum. I've worked in the pharma/device industry for 20 years in big and small companies. They all have politics. I agree with your comment to keep initial investment low because if it does not work out, I'd likely have to move back to the North East because there aren't alot of pharma jobs in the DFW area. This is one reason I'm concerned about the length of time that houses in Burleson are sitting on the market. These are very nice homes in the 400k range that are sitting for 6 months. That makes me concerned about purchasing and I'm leaning toward renting right now.

So, bringing things back to my original question, I'll look at Burleson, Joshua, Briaroaks, etc....

If anyone can recommend specific neighborhoods in Burleson, I'd appreciate it. Despite the small lots, it is close to work and seems like a safe place to live, so renting on a small lot wouldn't be all that bad to start out.
Fellow Alcon (former NVS) colleague here . That's really good advice you're getting from Tcualum. Unless you're dying to own property in Texas, I would advice renting a nice apt in the West 7th or FTW uptown area until you get acclimated to the environment (both of Texas and Alcon), get to know the area better and get a feel for where you want to buy. I know you want a short commute but lots of people at work actually drive from Dallas. Differences in the kind of community you want to live in (especially as a single person without kids) may influence a lot your decision of where you want to live. Good luck with the new job! feel free to PM me with any questions.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamber View Post
Fellow Alcon (former NVS) colleague here . That's really good advice you're getting from Tcualum. Unless you're dying to own property in Texas, I would advice renting a nice apt in the West 7th or FTW uptown area until you get acclimated to the environment (both of Texas and Alcon), get to know the area better and get a feel for where you want to buy. I know you want a short commute but lots of people at work actually drive from Dallas. Differences in the kind of community you want to live in (especially as a single person without kids) may influence a lot your decision of where you want to live. Good luck with the new job! feel free to PM me with any questions.
Thanks jcamber. I might f/u with you in PM about your take on Alcon. I've moved several times for work (this will be the 5th state to state move) and am a homebody, so as long as the neighborhood is quiet and safe and I like the house, its all good. I've bought and sold homes in each state where I've lived and haven't spent more than 2-3 years in each place, so if I'm not happy in TX or at Alcon, I'd sell and move again--no biggie. Moving often is a great way to ensure you only keep what you need. :-) I will initially stay in temp housing in Ft Worth near Sundance Square for 3 months and scope out the neighborhoods around Tanglewood and Burleson to see what's what on the weekends.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,101 times
Be aware of high property taxes if you buy in Johnson county (Burleson, Joshua, Keene, etc.).

Old 05-17-2019, 10:59 AM

Default You aren't kidding about the property taxes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alg123 View Post
Be aware of high property taxes if you buy in Johnson county (Burleson, Joshua, Keene, etc.).
I ended up finding a nice home in Overton West Addition with a pool. And yes, the taxes are ridiculously high. I am chalking it up as a premium to live less than a 15 min drive to work and in a nice neighborhood. Eventually, they're going to have to figure out another revenue stream because at these property tax rates, more and more people will not be able to afford to stay in their neighborhoods, which is sad.

Last edited by Sunduri; 05-17-2019 at 11:08 AM..

Old 05-17-2019, 05:50 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,728 times
Quote:
I ended up finding a nice home in Overton West Addition with a pool. And yes, the taxes are ridiculously high. I am chalking it up as a premium to live less than a 15 min drive to work and in a nice neighborhood. Eventually, they're going to have to figure out another revenue stream because at these property tax rates, more and more people will not be able to afford to stay in their neighborhoods, which is sad.
You chose a great area. Taxes are high, but values will be solid in 76109= smart investment. Great quality of life too.

Old 12-24-2023, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 123 times
Default Alcon relocation package

Quote:
Thanks jcamber. I might f/u with you in PM about your take on Alcon. I've moved several times for work (this will be the 5th state to state move) and am a homebody, so as long as the neighborhood is quiet and safe and I like the house, its all good. I've bought and sold homes in each state where I've lived and haven't spent more than 2-3 years in each place, so if I'm not happy in TX or at Alcon, I'd sell and move again--no biggie. Moving often is a great way to ensure you only keep what you need. :-) I will initially stay in temp housing in Ft Worth near Sundance Square for 3 months and scope out the neighborhoods around Tanglewood and Burleson to see what's what on the weekends.

Hi Sunduri,
I may get a job offer from Alcon soon. Are you still working there? I would like to know more about the relocation package, benefits, work culture, politics etc. Can you please provide some information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth