Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 03:32 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times

Advertisements

1 nose stud on women: ok

Nose ring on men or women: awful (what are you, a bull?)

Any nose ring on any man: feminine (and that's ok, but its not professional)

Just my opinion, you'll never catch me wearing that stuff. I don't need unconventional jewely and tattoos to express my individuality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
Seeing a nose-ring brings to my mind an intact bull . . . no matter which gender wears it. Yes, they're all distracting & distasteful to me . . . it seems they think they aren't pretty enough on their own.
Yeah, generally the nose is just fine without any jewelry. Same for people who pierce their eyebrow, lips, cheeks, tounge, nipples etc.

Unnecessary, just stick to the ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2022, 05:09 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
I was never in a position where I was a hiring authority, and it was probably a good thing.

Old 10-18-2022, 07:35 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
I was just having this conversation with my coworker. Why do so many women have these rings hanging out of their noses!! They look like the rings they put on steer to control them. Between the piercings, the tattoos, and the multicolored hair or shaved heads, what is going on?! What is going on that women don't want to look feminine anymore? I guess it's a sign of the times, but it doesn't look pretty. Only my opinion though.
Keep in mind that the people with those appearance modifications do not care what anyone else thinks about them, and the changes were done for their own personal reasons. And, there are a lot of women who do not want to be judged by how feminine they look, it's a way to stick it to "the man". I've had this discussion with my Mom, who has issues with restaurant staff having lots of tattoos, especially on their hands,, because it gives her the impression they haven't washed recently. She understands that's not logical, and she's too polite to say anything about it, but that's her reaction.

Old 10-18-2022, 07:38 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
All of this discussion reminds me of a cartoon I saw years ago(and wish I could find) of a man with a large ring through his abdomen from front to back saying "I've gone all in on this piercing thing, this is my liver piercing".

Old 10-18-2022, 07:58 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Keep in mind that the people with those appearance modifications do not care what anyone else thinks about them, and the changes were done for their own personal reasons. And, there are a lot of women who do not want to be judged by how feminine they look, it's a way to stick it to "the man". I've had this discussion with my Mom, who has issues with restaurant staff having lots of tattoos, especially on their hands,, because it gives her the impression they haven't washed recently. She understands that's not logical, and she's too polite to say anything about it, but that's her reaction.
End thread. However, I'll add a relevant point as a 45 year old woman with a nose stud x 27 years. It's an ethnic thing for me, as I'm Asian Indian. Believe it or not, women's lives and appearances don't revolve around what men (or women) think or like. I'm not a fan of septum piercings, but what strangers wear isn't my business. If they like it, great. I work in healthcare and restrictions have relaxed a lot. We're allowed to have sleeves showing. As for facial piercings they are OK too but when we are in surgery they need to be replaced with a retainer so they do not get caught on surgical masks. My wife works in law enforcement and even her fellow coworker cops can have sleeves but must wear long sleeved shirts over them at all times.

Old 10-18-2022, 08:30 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
End thread. However, I'll add a relevant point as a 45 year old woman with a nose stud x 27 years. It's an ethnic thing for me, as I'm Asian Indian. Believe it or not, women's lives and appearances don't revolve around what men (or women) think or like. I'm not a fan of septum piercings, but what strangers wear isn't my business. If they like it, great. I work in healthcare and restrictions have relaxed a lot. We're allowed to have sleeves showing. As for facial piercings they are OK too but when we are in surgery they need to be replaced with a retainer so they do not get caught on surgical masks. My wife works in law enforcement and even her fellow coworker cops can have sleeves but must wear long sleeved shirts over them at all times.
My daughter works in a tech environment. No one there cares about piercings or tats, and there is no dress code. When she taught at an exclusive private school for a time, she left out the nose ring and wore long sleeves to keep her tats covered.

She has several YouTube videos from when she gave presentations at universities, and she looks like the biggest geek with no nose ring, glasses, hair in a bun, and a blazer.

Interesting about the cops. I didn't know what their rules were for tats or piercings. Makes sense about the safety rules in a surgical setting, too.

I am boring, myself. One piercing in each ear. And my mother wasn't all that thrilled when I got that done at 16. Not something a woman of her age and background would ever have done. How times have changed!

Old 10-18-2022, 08:48 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
And, there are a lot of women who do not want to be judged by how feminine they look, it's a way to stick it to "the man".
They aren't necessarily trying to "stick it to 'the man'". Some women just don't view themselves as particularly feminine, and don't wish to portray themselves that way.

Old 10-18-2022, 09:26 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My daughter works in a tech environment. No one there cares about piercings or tats, and there is no dress code. When she taught at an exclusive private school for a time, she left out the nose ring and wore long sleeves to keep her tats covered.

She has several YouTube videos from when she gave presentations at universities, and she looks like the biggest geek with no nose ring, glasses, hair in a bun, and a blazer.

Interesting about the cops. I didn't know what their rules were for tats or piercings. Makes sense about the safety rules in a surgical setting, too.

I am boring, myself. One piercing in each ear. And my mother wasn't all that thrilled when I got that done at 16. Not something a woman of her age and background would ever have done. How times have changed!
My mom made me and my sisters wait until we were 18. :-) She also made all us kids wait until we were 14 to drink iced tea and coffee. LOL And any kind of nail polish other than clear? Forgetaboutit.

Old 10-18-2022, 10:15 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
*shrug* you just have to make your own choices and take into account what your dating pool is and what your work environment is.

Old 10-18-2022, 11:36 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Nose rings are for cows and bulls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty