Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2022, 02:10 AM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm 48 and have been considering a nose stud for a while. I don't mind the rings, but I'm always scared I would get it caught on something. So I'm thinking a little rhinestone stud. If it's distracting to someone or they find it unappealing, that's a THEM problem and not a ME problem. I wouldn't be doing it for anyone but me.

And I've never really been concerned with symmetry. I have one piercing in one ear and three in the other ... it's been that way for over 30 years.
My daughter has this, just a little, sparkly stud. I think she got it in grad school, along with a couple of extra ear piercings. I think it's pretty & enhances her appearance. I don't have one because I think I would have trouble getting it out & cleaning it. I have enough problems with my ear piercings.

She is a scientist, it certainly hasn't had an adverse effect on her career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2022, 08:14 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I'm starting to see well dressed women usually younger than 35 with a nose piercing and it's just so unappealing. While beauty is in the eye of the beholder and trends always change over time. I find the trend of dressing well and nose piercing to be very unappealing and distracting.

1st of all, facial beauty is all about symmetry. If you have one bigger ear ring on one ear, it looks off.

Having nose piercing is like having a shiny pimple next to the nose.

What do yall think about it?
Incorrect. Sociologists have performed multiple experiments on this subject using computerized images as well as humans post plastic surgery and found people do not like exact symmetry in the human face. They say it looks weird and gives off the appearance of flat affect.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7644543/

Old 10-17-2022, 08:14 AM

50 posts, read 30,544 times
Just an opinion from an older guy. To me, the look of a nose ring or stud is highly dependent on the wearer and their overall appearance. I’m seeing more and more of them around here, to me, most provoke a “whatever” thought (and I happen to be generally fond of body art and sport several tattoos myself.) Some nose piercings are absolutely off-putting, even to me. And some I like. An example, I have a female friend in her early 40s, she always dresses nicely, albeit with a slight “bohemian” flair (I don’t know how else to describe the attire) and she wears a slender gold hoop in one nostril. On her, I think the look is absolutely elegant.

Old 10-17-2022, 09:14 AM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Incorrect. Sociologists have performed multiple experiments on this subject using computerized images as well as humans post plastic surgery and found people do not like exact symmetry in the human face. They say it looks weird and gives off the appearance of flat affect.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7644543/
Even without symmetry, if follows a certain feature pattern. This is why some people like photos of a particular side of their face vs the front. My point with facial piercings is that I’ve seen professionals with clean make up in very neat organized appearance having a side nose pierce that changes their symmetry. It can be distinctive just like tattoos on the body is often not symmetrical but in the case of dressing professionally it changes conformity. And that’s the issue, one doesn’t wear a suit and a tie then having different style shoe on each foot.

Old 10-17-2022, 10:58 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Ear rings are nice. But in my opinion nose piercings are gross and a turn-off.

Old 10-17-2022, 12:10 PM

401 posts, read 331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
A small stud doesn't bother me but when I see a nose ring the first thing I think of is being led around by it like some rancher's prized Hereford bull. Not exactly my idea of sophistication. Either that or I'm tempted to offer them a hanky to wipe away a drip.
So funny!

Old 10-17-2022, 12:58 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I've always wanted a diamond stud in my nose. I never did it and I feel now at almost 48 it would look stupid so I won't

Old 10-17-2022, 01:18 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Ear rings are nice. But in my opinion nose piercings are gross and a turn-off.
I agree. The nose rings and nose chains, in particular, are really distracting and not in a good way. I don't know how they can stand to wear those things.

Old 10-17-2022, 01:42 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Well, your nose tends to be a repository for staph germs but on the other hand I've never seen anyone with an infected nose piercing.

I only have a couple of personal preferences about them. For some reason, probably because I am right-handed, if people get them on their right side they look distracting to me.

My other comment is these beautiful, fresh, young faces. I don't like seeing them covered up with a lot of makeup or doodads. I'd rather see those things on a mature woman.

So often I'll comment on what pretty skin a young person has and they will tell me how dis-satisfied with it they are. Seems they can find flaws where I see none.

I think young people often feel that they don't look good enough without something extra. And yet this is the most radiant they are ever going to look. I guess it's just a preference I have to reinforce that extras aren't necessary when you are young.

And yet that was when my desire to get piercings/tattoos was the strongest. I think maybe it has something to do with wanting to create an identity that other people can see.

Old 10-17-2022, 02:22 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I'm starting to see well dressed women usually younger than 35 with a nose piercing and it's just so unappealing. While beauty is in the eye of the beholder and trends always change over time. I find the trend of dressing well and nose piercing to be very unappealing and distracting.

1st of all, facial beauty is all about symmetry. If you have one bigger ear ring on one ear, it looks off.

Having nose piercing is like having a shiny pimple next to the nose.

What do yall think about it?
If one can rock it, why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty