Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 02:24 PM

570 posts, read 546,585 times

Advertisements

That's too bad. I live in Charlotte, N.C. about 180 miles from the coast. We get fresh seafood shipped in fresh, but my favorites are not found in N.C. waters, i.e., snow crab, salmon. When I was in the military mant years ago, I was on the St. Lawrence Island and I was friends with a pilot from Reeves Aleutian Airlines that wound bring 55 gallon drums of snow crab to the base. He would contact me first so I could eat all I wanted until I was stuffed. Afterwards, I would take to the mess hall. I also used to catch trout down at the beach at Northeast Cape, take them to the chow hall, and they would cook them for me. I was a supply sergeant then and everyone wanted to be my fried. I'm not opposed to moose or rain deer meat, so I will just make do. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 04:08 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
That's too bad. I live in Charlotte, N.C. about 180 miles from the coast. We get fresh seafood shipped in fresh, but my favorites are not found in N.C. waters, i.e., snow crab, salmon. When I was in the military mant years ago, I was on the St. Lawrence Island and I was friends with a pilot from Reeves Aleutian Airlines that wound bring 55 gallon drums of snow crab to the base. He would contact me first so I could eat all I wanted until I was stuffed. Afterwards, I would take to the mess hall. I also used to catch trout down at the beach at Northeast Cape, take them to the chow hall, and they would cook them for me. I was a supply sergeant then and everyone wanted to be my fried. I'm not opposed to moose or rain deer meat, so I will just make do. Thanks
Well, the only way fresh is "fresh" is if you can buy it right after it is caught, and then served and eaten. If you can put it on ice right after being caught and keep it in ice for a few hours until it is served, that is "fresh enough" I imagine. But don't expect any fish to be purely fresh when you buy it at a supermarket.

The only way to keep fish as fresh as possible after being caught by the commercial fishing crews before the fish is brought to the port, is by keeping it cold before it is sold for processing. Some of the fish are so valuable that it is flash-frozen before it is shipped to the market. Watch a video about Japanese fish traders of yellow-fin tuna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-eoIxfycf8

Old 03-22-2022, 05:47 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
In case you didn't know...can't buy moose meat. A successful hunter would need to gift you some and you wouldn't get it fresh until after mid August anyway. You can buy commercial reindeer sausage.

Old 03-23-2022, 06:39 AM

570 posts, read 546,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
In case you didn't know...can't buy moose meat. A successful hunter would need to gift you some and you wouldn't get it fresh until after mid August anyway. You can buy commercial reindeer sausage.

Thanks for the update. I guess I'll stick to chicken.

Old 03-23-2022, 02:28 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Depending on when you're planning to visit, it might be totally feasible to do some salmon fishing yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks