Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 11:33 AM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times

Advertisements

Just for reference I have a 30 waist and don’t have a belly. I do short, light workouts with weights a couple times a week and go for walks occasionally on weekends when I can. I also eat fast food like burgers, fried chicken, pizza around 4 or 5 times a week.

I like these foods but people sometimes at work and at gatherings make comments about me eating McDonalds, Harvey’s etc like “how can you eat that crap?” And “it’s just empty calories”. So what? If someone eats lots of vegetables and protein as well I don’t see why it can’t be part of a balanced diet. It tastes good, is fast so I don’t have to pack a lunch always, and I don’t see how it’s any worse than someone eating sugary frozen yoghurt or frozen drinks from Starbucks, which many of my colleagues do.

My point is, I wish society wouldn’t shame people so much for the kinds of foods they like. You can eat anything and have it as part of a balanced diet, it’s just about moderation.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2023, 11:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
How old are you? Until about age 40 I was able to eat a lot of fast food without gaining weight too. In college I lived on it, eating burgers, fried chicken or even hot dogs every day on the way home from classes. Later after getting married and having kids I was very active, never worked out but did a lot of yard work, hiking, coaching soccer and softball, and just walking on local trails. With the kids grown and getting old, it seems like every burger just goes directly onto the belly. I eventually stopped eating McD and the like, now I'll go for a decent burger and a beer at a place like Tipsey Cow, Red Robin, or Hops & Drops, but only 1-2 times a month.

I do agree though, people should mind there own business and not judge people for what they eat.

Old 08-30-2023, 12:20 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Fast food isn't the enemy, but having it 4 or 5 times a week is almost every day, which is kind of pushing the "moderation" argument. I went through a McDonald's drive thru over the weekend and got an order of fries and a diet Coke and was very happy with my choices for that day, but that might have been my first fast food in weeks.

The bottom line is that people should mind their own business about what other people are eating. I always love the irony, too, of the "health" warriors who look down on your little bag of chips but are also beer or wine snobs. Say what you will about junk food, but alcohol is literally poison for your body.

Old 08-30-2023, 12:26 PM

21,827 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Eat whatever you want.

Empty calories are fine depending on your total consumption. I eat around 2,600 calories a day for maintenance as an average sized male with a sedentary desk job. There's plenty of calories to get adequate nutrition and still eat empty calories. Fast food doesn't taste good to me anymore. It used to. In college I ate a ton of fast food since it was on campus, relatively cheap, large portions. I still love fast food type of food but I can make a much better cheeseburger, or you can get a good cheeseburger at a lot of brew pubs. I might do pizza/burgers once a week now from a restaurant. Occasionally I'll do a burger binge and make them at home until i'm foundered on it.

Old 08-30-2023, 01:26 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
I never heard of anyone shaming people for eating fast food, unless maybe you work in some super fitness or health conscious work environment.

Some of what you buy at McDonalds can be quite ok for you if you watch your calories.

Old 08-30-2023, 02:27 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
"Thoughts?" ask your healthcare provider for her/his thoughts about your diet of fast food.

Old 08-30-2023, 02:31 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Thoughts?" ask your healthcare provider for her/his thoughts about your diet of fast food.
Just needed to ask, why does this bother you?

Old 08-30-2023, 02:43 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
pdw

People can be buttheads. I haven't had people commenting on my fast food or other food choices but if that happened often I'd have a little throwback ready for them, maybe even prompt them into commenting so I could look at their bodies up and down...slowly...and ask while smiling "Are you watching your weight?"

I would spend time thinking up innocent responses that were not that friendly and bet they'd quit their rudeness.
It's really not about the fast food, it's about them wanting to criticize you and fast food is an eligible item.

I LOVE BK Whopper and whenever my spouse and I are on a roadtrip that's where we want to have lunch. He likes McDonald's McMuffin for breakfast. I am not as in-shape as you are but no one would dare speak about it to my face.

Old 08-30-2023, 02:47 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Just for reference I have a 30 waist and don’t have a belly. I do short, light workouts with weights a couple times a week and go for walks occasionally on weekends when I can. I also eat fast food like burgers, fried chicken, pizza around 4 or 5 times a week.

I like these foods but people sometimes at work and at gatherings make comments about me eating McDonalds, Harvey’s etc like “how can you eat that crap?” And “it’s just empty calories”. So what? If someone eats lots of vegetables and protein as well I don’t see why it can’t be part of a balanced diet. It tastes good, is fast so I don’t have to pack a lunch always, and I don’t see how it’s any worse than someone eating sugary frozen yoghurt or frozen drinks from Starbucks, which many of my colleagues do.

My point is, I wish society wouldn’t shame people so much for the kinds of foods they like. You can eat anything and have it as part of a balanced diet, it’s just about moderation.

Thoughts?
Agree completely. Have you ever looked into what your local restaurant puts into their foods. Who knows what is in it. There are no standards.

Old 08-30-2023, 02:59 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
when i get the question,
“how can you eat that crap?”

i answer: just like everything else.
open mouth, insert, chew, swallow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss