Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 10:32 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
My point is, I wish society wouldn’t shame people so much for the kinds of foods they like. You can eat anything and have it as part of a balanced diet, it’s just about moderation.

Thoughts?
When you pay 100% of the costs of your healthcare, you can do whatever you want.

So long as I am footing the bill for your healthcare, my house, my rules. Get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2023, 12:24 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
When you pay 100% of the costs of your healthcare, you can do whatever you want.

So long as I am footing the bill for your healthcare, my house, my rules. Get over it.
Wait... are you implying that you walk into a McDonald's or Wendy's and yell at all the people to stop running up your health insurance bills?

Old 08-31-2023, 04:25 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I think fast food is amazing and to die for (lol). I would eat it to my hearts content if I could. Like others I used to in college.

The last fast food item I had was a number of years ago, a McDonald's fish sandwich. We were coming home from an event and had not eaten and needed to grab something. I chose it because it had the least calories.

I thought it was the tastiest and best thing I had eaten in years, I couldn't get over how amazing it was. If I had my way I would have ordered and eaten six more and maybe a couple of quarter pounders. But....I stick to the boring stuff.

You like fast food? Enjoy.....we are all free to make our own choices.
I’m happy you enjoyed the meal! I do have a question for you though: do you live in the Midwest?

Old 08-31-2023, 10:07 PM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Quote:
Just for reference I have a 30 waist and don’t have a belly. I do short, light workouts with weights a couple times a week and go for walks occasionally on weekends when I can. I also eat fast food like burgers, fried chicken, pizza around 4 or 5 times a week.

I like these foods but people sometimes at work and at gatherings make comments about me eating McDonalds, Harvey’s etc like “how can you eat that crap?” And “it’s just empty calories”. So what? If someone eats lots of vegetables and protein as well I don’t see why it can’t be part of a balanced diet. It tastes good, is fast so I don’t have to pack a lunch always, and I don’t see how it’s any worse than someone eating sugary frozen yoghurt or frozen drinks from Starbucks, which many of my colleagues do.

My point is, I wish society wouldn’t shame people so much for the kinds of foods they like. You can eat anything and have it as part of a balanced diet, it’s just about moderation.

Thoughts?
I disagree completely with your false diet. You are what you eat, it's the totality. If you're a guy under 40 eating fast food daily, it's not gonna kill you right away. once you hit 50 or above that's when the body's aging markers will show up faster in people who eat the SAD (Standard American Diet)

The body is very resilient when you're young at processing and getting rid of toxins. Once you are over 40, the body slows down and aging accelerates if you eat a lot of bad inflammatory foods.

So don't say moderation, it's all about the totality. It will add up, the more junk food you eat when you're young the faster your body ages. That's why so many people have accelerated growth and aging. So many 12 year olds look like they're already 18 year olds from decades ago. Eating too much processed foods.

Alcohol is the best example, there is no such thing as moderate drinking. Even a small amount is bad and negatively impact your health. You either kill a few cells with a few drops of alcohol or kill alot of cells with binge drinking.

Old 09-01-2023, 06:35 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I’m happy you enjoyed the meal! I do have a question for you though: do you live in the Midwest?
I am trying to remain anonymous. lol. Although as the years have gone by, I have let info slip and just ramble on about certain events that would indicate where I probably live and have lived. I don't live in HI as you do. I am CONUS.

But yes, I enjoyed the fish sandwich and if I had my way I would eat fast food all the time. I can't accept the
consequences or outcome of what that would do. So I am pretty meticulous with what I eat. But yes, fast food is amazing and gives you a rush when you eat it.

Old 09-01-2023, 06:53 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
imho, fast food is garbage, but making comments about what others choose to eat is rude and uncalled for.

By the way, weight/waist size do not indicate good health.

Lab blood work tells the truth of the matter.

Jim Fixx, the man who popularized running (and wrote a best selling book about it) died while running. He looked slender and fit.

Post mortem exam revealed his major heart arteries were clogged. He loved his junk food--but couldn't out-run the results.

Food for thought??
I don't know who he is so can't comment on him specifically, but some people just have heart issues. I've known a number of athletes in amazing shape who have died unexpectedly.

I've done sports most of my life. Every now and then I'm caught with a burger and fries and someone who knows me will exclaim "I can't believe you're eating that!!"

Thing is I don't eat it every day, not even once a week. I typically "eat bad" during the times I am working out more as my metabolism is up and I feel I can get away with it then.

Chocolate on the other hand......

Old 09-01-2023, 06:59 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
You can't control what society dishes out to you. However, you certainly have control over how you react to it/them.

As long as you are eating the way you feel is moderation / healthy and you are taking care of yourself, I would not be concerned about what other people think/say/do.

As for me, I probably eat fast food maybe once a week at most. For me that's probably not good because I don't get out enough to exercise. Otherwise, I eat as healthy as I can cooking at home.

Old 09-01-2023, 07:00 AM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I don't know who he is so can't comment on him specifically, but some people just have heart issues. I've known a number of athletes in amazing shape who have died unexpectedly.

I've done sports most of my life. Every now and then I'm caught with a burger and fries and someone who knows me will exclaim "I can't believe you're eating that!!"

Thing is I don't eat it every day, not even once a week. I typically "eat bad" during the times I am working out more as my metabolism is up and I feel I can get away with it then.

Chocolate on the other hand......
A lot of this health stuff feels so performative. A lot of people will happily chow down on tempura at a Japanese restaurant and dunk it in a sugary dipping sauce but do the same with chicken McNuggets (which here in Canada the meat is 100% chicken breast hence why they’re so expensive) and people look at you like you’ve committed some kind of moral taboo. I don’t drink a lot of pop personally because I don’t like how the corn syrup in it cakes onto my teeth. I avoid those Frappuccino type cold coffee drinks for the same reason but they’re viewed completely differently by society.

Old 09-01-2023, 08:34 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
A lot of this health stuff feels so performative. A lot of people will happily chow down on tempura at a Japanese restaurant and dunk it in a sugary dipping sauce but do the same with chicken McNuggets (which here in Canada the meat is 100% chicken breast hence why they’re so expensive) and people look at you like you’ve committed some kind of moral taboo. I don’t drink a lot of pop personally because I don’t like how the corn syrup in it cakes onto my teeth. I avoid those Frappuccino type cold coffee drinks for the same reason but they’re viewed completely differently by society.
You do have a point there--there was a big deal about Starbucks rolling out the pumpkin spice latte last week, and if you order one of those with no modifications, its 400 calories and 50 grams of sugar. Definitely not an everyday food. But it doesn't carry the same "bad food" stigma as fast food.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:08 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,320,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
How old are you? Until about age 40 I was able to eat a lot of fast food without gaining weight too. In college I lived on it, eating burgers, fried chicken or even hot dogs every day on the way home from classes. Later after getting married and having kids I was very active, never worked out but did a lot of yard work, hiking, coaching soccer and softball, and just walking on local trails. With the kids grown and getting old, it seems like every burger just goes directly onto the belly. I eventually stopped eating McD and the like, now I'll go for a decent burger and a beer at a place like Tipsey Cow, Red Robin, or Hops & Drops, but only 1-2 times a month.

I do agree though, people should mind there own business and not judge people for what they eat.
Totally agree, especially the last paragraph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I never heard of anyone shaming people for eating fast food, unless maybe you work in some super fitness or health conscious work environment.

Some of what you buy at McDonalds can be quite ok for you if you watch your calories.
Same here. I would never say anything to anyone who likes to eat fast food. I used to too until I reached 40 something, and I stopped eating those b/c I noticed I was gaining weight and my BP getting high. Then I'm okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
pdw

People can be buttheads. I haven't had people commenting on my fast food or other food choices but if that happened often I'd have a little throwback ready for them, maybe even prompt them into commenting so I could look at their bodies up and down...slowly...and ask while smiling "Are you watching your weight?"

I would spend time thinking up innocent responses that were not that friendly and bet they'd quit their rudeness.
It's really not about the fast food, it's about them wanting to criticize you and fast food is an eligible item.

I LOVE BK Whopper and whenever my spouse and I are on a roadtrip that's where we want to have lunch. He likes McDonald's McMuffin for breakfast. I am not as in-shape as you are but no one would dare speak about it to my face.
What if the other person would look back at your body up and down... slowly... and ask while smiling "Aren't you watching your weight?" If you were overweight, you would be upset more than the other person that you asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Are you 19 years of age? Because that metabolism goes away as you age. It did for me starting earlier than I expected, or maybe I just ate too much junk food. Do you drink the soda too or skip it?
You are absolutely right. The older you get, the lower metabolism you have. All the fat, sugar and salt go directly to your blood vessels and heart arteries. And that's how you get all kinds of health issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Personally I do not care much about what people eat unless they sit at my table.
The moderation is the problem with a lot of folks. 4-5 times a week? I enjoy cooking and SO does not object to what I am cooking. Often at a lot less than fast food.
... unless that person is 300, 400 pounds and sits beside me on the airplane and squeezes me. I would swear quietly in my breath. LOL. But nothing could help though. So, I would have to suffer and tolerate till the trip is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss