Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 04:49 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
It increases your risk of cancer if you are ok with that.
Quoting you again, just because I'm reading through your comments as a whole... and wondering why you're so angry about this? Are you unable to get it by prescription, and mad that others are? Or is it a general resentment towards people who struggle with obesity? It's kind of strange, as I mentioned to someone else earlier in the thread. And you've yet to produce any evidence of your claims, either, which makes me think you're speaking from the arse.

Just came from my doctor, btw, who is very pleased with my progress on Ozempic; down 34lbs total (some from before I started the drug), and having basically zero side effects. The only things I feel are a lack of appetite, and nausea if I eat certain things. Now that I'm learning what I can/cannot tolerate, it's happening very infrequently. She upped my dose to 1.0mg, and referred me to a health educator for tips on mostly-vegetarian diets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 03:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,111 times
Default How to lose 100 lbs in a year, no drugs

January of 2022 I was 300 lbs, and made a New Years resolution to lose weight. I lost over 100 lbs in 2022 and more in 2023, and here is what I've learned:

Get off the carbs for a while. I did a keto diet (and yes, it is sustainable), and noticed a 10lb/month loss for ten months of 2022. Doing a keto diet trains your body to burn the fat you have in your body (using mitochondrial beta oxidation of fats rather than glycolysis from sugars). I used a hand-held keto breath meter to monitor ketosis, which really helped since in the beginning, I had changed my diet to cut out carbs and wasn't losing as much weight as expected. I was actually eating too much, and I wasn't going into ketosis. I cut back on portions until I started seeing ketosis levels on the breath meter, and then there was a linear decline in weight after that. So it helps to have some device or means of measuring whether you are in ketosis or not (check Amazon for "keto breath meters" and you should find one for around $30). Keep a daily log of weight and ketosis numbers, because the numbers tell you which direction things are going.

Do some walking to start, then jog/walk/jog, then jog every day or every other day. You just want to get your heart rate up a bit, but listen to your body and don't overdo it.

After October, my weight loss started to level off after losing close to 100 lbs. By this time I was running every day, but my body had fully adjusted to the exercise I was doing. My body was definitely much thinner (I went from a 54 waist to a 38), but there was (is) stubborn stomach fat that remains. You have two avenues to go from here (or you can take both). You can focus on your diet and calorie count your way to your ideal weight. I hate calorie counting, so I decided to go another route.

The route I chose to continue the decline in weight was to tone my body with weight training. Your body is like a car engine in a way.... when you start out, it is a little 4 cylinder that doesn't use much gas, because your muscles are weak. Despite this, you have a lot of gas in the tank (fat) so this little 4 cylinder has a surplus of fuel to burn to support your larger frame. But when you lose the weight and level off in weight loss, your 4 cylinder is using up as much fuel as you put in each day, so your body weight stays the same. So, in order to increase your fuel usage, you need to increase the size of your engine. Tone your muscles to go from a 4 cylinder, to a 6 cylinder, to an 8 cylinder (then to the hot rod 10 cylinder, if you can) so that just walking around requires more energy.

Once again, don't overdo it. Start off easy and let your muscles adjust. I just bought a set of adjustable weight dumbbells and set up a push/pull/legs schedule with about 20 sets per day (about 20-30 mins of working out a day). It takes a few months for your muscles to adjust, and start building up. You might not notice any weight loss during this time, because you are gaining muscle at the same time as you are losing fat. But then after a couple months, the weight loss will start up again, as your daily log will tell you. Trust your belt size to tell you that you are losing fat, because your weight will make you think things aren't working when they actually are.

There is no magic pill for weight loss. The drugs have side effects, which is your body's way of saying they are bad for you. But this method of ketogenic dieting with exercise, and later adding in weight training has brought me back to a healthy weight, all my blood numbers in all categories are dead center normal. Don't push yourself to injury, just listen to your body and "work with it" until you get where you want to be, it isn't that hard and you will feel much better. I feel almost as healthy as I was in my twenties (and I'm 54 now), and only have a little way to go to get to my ideal body weight. Hope this helps you

Old 09-28-2023, 08:06 AM

3,370 posts, read 1,538,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Quoting you again, just because I'm reading through your comments as a whole... and wondering why you're so angry about this? Are you unable to get it by prescription, and mad that others are? Or is it a general resentment towards people who struggle with obesity? It's kind of strange, as I mentioned to someone else earlier in the thread. And you've yet to produce any evidence of your claims, either, which makes me think you're speaking from the arse.

Just came from my doctor, btw, who is very pleased with my progress on Ozempic; down 34lbs total (some from before I started the drug), and having basically zero side effects. The only things I feel are a lack of appetite, and nausea if I eat certain things. Now that I'm learning what I can/cannot tolerate, it's happening very infrequently. She upped my dose to 1.0mg, and referred me to a health educator for tips on mostly-vegetarian diets.
I have nothing against people who are obese because in times of my life I have been obese. I don't need ozempic because I have lost 20 pounds by doing a mostly carnivore diet

Here is a link with ozempic and thyroid cancer.

https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/pa...lt/semaglutide

Old 09-28-2023, 05:56 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Wow it's a good thing I don't have a thyroid. I'll never have to worry about getting thyroid cancer from Ozempic.

Not that I'd have to worry anyway - I mean consider the risks.

If your risk of thyroid cancer, genetically and from your environment, is .07% and your risk is doubled by taking Ozempic, then your risk of cancer is now .14%.

Old 09-28-2023, 06:46 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
It's over $1000 a month in the US and usually not covered by insurance.

I know several people who are taking it and all have said it was life changing. One explained, through tears, that "This is how it is for normal people." She has struggled with her weight her entire life, and said she never realized that "normal" people don't think about food 24 hours a day.
Holy Crow - 1000 USD a month? It is 255 dollars Canadian in Canada or atleast in Toronto. I'm on Ozempic now - 2mths along. .5 mg's but using it for Type II Diabetes. I've lost 10 pounds so far and it is great for blood sugar levels.

Old 11-09-2023, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I have nothing against people who are obese because in times of my life I have been obese. I don't need ozempic because I have lost 20 pounds by doing a mostly carnivore diet

Here is a link with ozempic and thyroid cancer.

https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/pa...lt/semaglutide
What's your point? I will likely die a LOT sooner if I'd stayed at 270lbs+, so I'm good thanks. Everything has its risks, so all you can do is analyze the risk vs reward (with support from your medical team). I've now lost 55lbs on Ozempic, A1C is NORMAL - no more diabetes! - and I'm doing great aside from a little GI upset here and there. So thanks for your concern, but I'm sticking with the plan. My doctor is thrilled, and said I should be the poster child for using Ozempic responsibly.

And there are risks to doing an "all carnivore" diet too, sooooo. Yeah.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-09-2023 at 08:13 PM..

Old 11-09-2023, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Oh, and as for this... all it says is the following:

This drug has been shown to cause thyroid cancer in some animals. It is not known if this happens in humans. If thyroid cancer happens, it may be deadly if not found and treated early. Call your doctor right away if you have a neck mass, trouble breathing, trouble swallowing, or have hoarseness that will not go away. Do not use this drug if you have a health problem called Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndrome type 2 (MEN 2), or if you or a family member have had thyroid cancer.

So basically nothing lol. My doctor did mention this to me, however, and said it shouldn't be an issue due to my health & family histories (nothing related to the conditions mentioned). But of course if anyone experiences those specific symptoms, they should see their doctor. I go monthly as it is.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-09-2023 at 08:27 PM..

Old 11-09-2023, 08:20 PM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Technically, it's Wegovy that's "for weight loss"; Ozempic is (supposed to be) prescribed for pre-diabetes. Same drug, though.

Old 11-09-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Technically, it's Wegovy that's "for weight loss"; Ozempic is (supposed to be) prescribed for pre-diabetes. Same drug, though.
Yes, that is correct! With Ozempic, the weight loss is considered a "potential side effect" - haha. The main difference is insurance-related, as Ozempic is usually covered if you're diabetic. I only have a $10 copay (per month) for mine.

Old 11-16-2023, 08:32 AM

3,370 posts, read 1,538,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
What's your point? I will likely die a LOT sooner if I'd stayed at 270lbs+, so I'm good thanks. Everything has its risks, so all you can do is analyze the risk vs reward (with support from your medical team). I've now lost 55lbs on Ozempic, A1C is NORMAL - no more diabetes! - and I'm doing great aside from a little GI upset here and there. So thanks for your concern, but I'm sticking with the plan. My doctor is thrilled, and said I should be the poster child for using Ozempic responsibly.

And there are risks to doing an "all carnivore" diet too, sooooo. Yeah.
There are no risks from all carnivore .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss