Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 07:58 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times

Advertisements

FYI, most of the weight loss in the Ozempic clinical trials wasn't fat but muscle. You have been warned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2023, 06:04 AM

8,408 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I would not dare take this It does curb appetite but it also makes the body remove fat through excessive amounts of bowels that will leak out without warning.
The only fat that's coming out the terminus end of the digestive system is the fat that one has ingested in the past day or so.

The fat that's been hanging around for weeks/months/years takes a different path when it leaves your body. Roughly 10% of that is sweat, the remainder (90%) is exhaled carbon dioxide.

Old 08-03-2023, 12:30 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
The drugmakers Novo Nordisk and Eli Lilly failed to adequately warn patients about the possible risk of severe stomach problems associated with their blockbuster drugs Ozempic and Mounjaro, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday.

Makers of Ozempic and Mounjaro sued over 'stomach paralysis' claims.
Stomach paralysis, also called gastroparesis, can be caused by diabetes.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...aims-rcna97819

Old 08-17-2023, 07:12 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
It's over $1000 a month in the US and usually not covered by insurance.
Generally it IS covered by insurance, but only if you're diabetic (type 2) and/or have other obesity-related conditions like PCOS or hypertension. I've been on Ozempic for a couple months now, and my co-pay is only $10 per pen. That's through Kaiser, and I qualified because I'm T2 diabetic.

As for the other concerns and questions here, it really varies for each individual. I had already lost about 25lbs on my own through dietary changes, so my doctor felt comfortable prescribing the OZ as a short-term way to quickly get my A1C and weight under control... so far I'm averaging about 1lb lost per week (total of now 33lbs from before + after I started), and that's on the lowest doses. So for people taking the higher doses or Wegovy version, the losses are usually much greater. My side effects have been minimal, though, and mostly just some nausea during the first couple of weeks.

The plan is for me to take this for 4-5 months, get my weight and A1C where they need to be, and then to wean myself off it. Since I had already made the dietary and lifestyle changes, this should be completely doable according to my doctor. The people who immediately regain the weight generally did NOT make any changes prior, and were counting 100% on the drug to work its magic for them. That simply isn't realistic or sustainable. I will say, however, that I'll go out of pocket if I do start regaining the weight... thankfully I can afford to do that, and I refuse to ever be as fat as I'd gotten. It was miserable!!

Wish me luck. I'll update in a few months.

Old 08-17-2023, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I would not dare take this It does curb appetite but it also makes the body remove fat through excessive amounts of bowels that will leak out without warning.

Anyone here who wants to go on this drug I strongly suggest you stay at home more often and stock up on toilet paper, butt wipes. It is nearly as bad as the prep for a colonoscopy without the crud to drink.
I've been on it for two months, and that's literally never happened to me. Everyone reacts differently, plus I'm under the strict care and monitoring of a doctor.

Only side effects for me have been some nausea at the beginning, and stomach pains if I'm not careful about what I eat (sugar tends to trigger that). People who think it's a magic cure, and continue eating like crap... well... they're gonna have some "crappy" side effects. Pun intended.

Old 08-17-2023, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
FYI, most of the weight loss in the Ozempic clinical trials wasn't fat but muscle. You have been warned.
Again, that has not been the experience for me... I'm definitely losing fat and gaining muscle! Already looking and feeling better after just two months, and doing strength training + dietary changes to ensure that's a long-term thing. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe the folks who experience otherwise aren't making the proper lifestyle changes. You can't just continue to eat greasy foods + sugar, and expect the weight to magically disappear.

Honestly, I don't understand why people are so angry about this drug in general. Not saying you necessarily, although you seem a bit hostile too. To me (again, as a general observation) it seems like some folks are mad that obesity is being treated like the medical condition it is, instead of attempting to shame us into losing the weight alone. Resentment that "I did it the hard way," like someone who resents those who make money easily? I dunno, but it's kind of weird.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-17-2023 at 08:21 PM..

Old 08-17-2023, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Why? 45 pounds is something people can lose in much less than a year, without struggle or risk to their health (unless they're already a healthy weight and trying to lose too much).

If you lost just 5 pounds per month, that'd be +/- 1.25 pounds per week. It'd take you 9 months to lose it, without any meds at all. With meds you could probably lose more in less time.

If you spend 9 months eating healthy and exercising regularly, then you will have learned good habits that you can continue with. It's sustainable long-term.
Obviously if they could do it alone, they'd have done that by now.

It's a tool, like any other, that makes things MUCH easier for people with lifelong struggles... why on earth would you try to discourage that, especially when their doctor approves of this method? Are you also the type who tells clinically depressed people to "just go outside more often and start meditating?" lol

Old 08-17-2023, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
My thing is when your off the meds do you gain the weight back plus more?
Only if you were counting on the medication to do ALL the work for you. Those of us who made dietary/lifestyle changes first, and then used the medication as a tool, should be able to maintain after going off it. That's what my doctor believes, at least, and why she was comfortable with prescribing this to me.

Also, not everyone will be ceasing the medication at any point... for those who cannot maintain on their own, and need it to keep their diabetes (etc) under control, it might be a lifelong thing. Just as with people on blood pressure medication, or anything else along those lines.

Old 08-17-2023, 09:18 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times
Quote:

Anyone here who wants to go on this drug I strongly suggest you stay at home more often and stock up on toilet paper, butt wipes. It is nearly as bad as the prep for a colonoscopy without the crud to drink.

This has not been my experience at all.

Old 08-18-2023, 05:24 AM

728 posts, read 463,804 times
I’ve been on Ozempic for almost a year now and I’ve had no side effects at all, except for the weight loss which I needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss