Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 03:48 PM

6,089 posts, read 3,330,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Maybe that's a "conventional" pizza where you come from. Where I come from, pizza is:

wheat flour, water, a pinch of salt, part-skim mozzarella, thin-sliced tomatoes, a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of basil. No sauce, no high-fat cheese.
I consider a “conventional pizza” to be something an average Joe American might get from Domino’s or Papa John’s or Pizza Hut.

As far as your pizza, I like it quite a bit. The only thing I’d do different is substitute the wheat flour with almond flour and make the dough keto friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2023, 05:41 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I consider a “conventional pizza” to be something an average Joe American might get from Domino’s or Papa John’s or Pizza Hut.

As far as your pizza, I like it quite a bit. The only thing I’d do different is substitute the wheat flour with almond flour and make the dough keto friendly.
Dominos tried to succeed where I came from, but they were run out of town. Pizza Hut was a novelty and lasted a few years but eventually died. Papa John's was part of D'Angelo's subs for awhile, but they also didn't have any staying power.

There's no point in that substandard, barely edible garbage to even try moving in to an area like New York, Boston, or New Haven. The "average" Joe American in THOSE places wouldn't even look in the window as they pass by on their way to get actual pizza. The substandard american, lower-case intentional, a step above neanderthal, would eat that tripe.

Old 05-23-2023, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Dominos tried to succeed where I came from, but they were run out of town. Pizza Hut was a novelty and lasted a few years but eventually died. Papa John's was part of D'Angelo's subs for awhile, but they also didn't have any staying power.

There's no point in that substandard, barely edible garbage to even try moving in to an area like New York, Boston, or New Haven. The "average" Joe American in THOSE places wouldn't even look in the window as they pass by on their way to get actual pizza. The substandard american, lower-case intentional, a step above neanderthal, would eat that tripe.
While I agree that the average American person eating pizzas from those establishments would be much better off if they stopped doing that, it doesn’t mean that I think of them as substandard, and I certainly don’t think New Yorkers or people from Boston are superior to anyone from the Heartland.

Old 05-23-2023, 03:08 PM

21,827 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
While I agree that the average American person eating pizzas from those establishments would be much better off if they stopped doing that, it doesn’t mean that I think of them as substandard, and I certainly don’t think New Yorkers or people from Boston are superior to anyone from the Heartland.
Definitely substandard pizza though. It's one step up from Little Caesars and not a big one. I really haven't spent much time in the Heartland but it doesn't strike me as being so hopeless that they best thing it's going going for it is Dominos. Sushi, yeah, maybe you're not going to find good sushi but you should be able to get a decent pizza or a burger.

Old 05-23-2023, 06:21 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
I really despise all of those cheap, substandard chain pizzas. However, I really like Mellow Mushroom. The pizza is delicious, high quality, they have great salads, really nice atmosphere, etc. I am very picky when it comes to pizza and this fills the bill for me. I order the thin crust "veg-out" with a salad and I'm set.

Old 05-29-2023, 09:01 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
All i can handle is a couple of slices so a $10 pie from Little Sleazers will last me 4 meals.

Pizza is one of my favorite foods. You can put anything on it and walk around while you eat it. Practically perfect!

Old 05-29-2023, 11:59 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Definitely substandard pizza though. It's one step up from Little Caesars and not a big one. I really haven't spent much time in the Heartland but it doesn't strike me as being so hopeless that they best thing it's going going for it is Dominos. Sushi, yeah, maybe you're not going to find good sushi but you should be able to get a decent pizza or a burger.
We spent six months in Minnesota, found a great place called Pi Pizza. Woodstove, thin crust; we would split an 8" pizza and a Caesar salad.
No Tater Tots on the menu!

Old 06-02-2023, 08:17 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I remember reading an article that said people were polled about many calories they thought were in a slice of pizza.

Heavier people tended to say around 150 - 200 calories, and thinner people thought it was 800 - 1000 calories a slice.

Old 06-02-2023, 08:27 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I remember reading an article that said people were polled about many calories they thought were in a slice of pizza.

Heavier people tended to say around 150 - 200 calories, and thinner people thought it was 800 - 1000 calories a slice.
I just asked Google. its response is 285 [14" regular crust, 1 slice 107g].

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...12l9.14638j0j7

Old 06-03-2023, 12:39 PM

I read an article the other day where a guy, 31 years old, started getting adverse reactions whenever he would eat at Pizza Hut. He would get severe stomach pains that would shoot up into his right shoulder.

Anyway, after it happened again the next time he got pizza, he went to his doctor and they did an MRI, which revealed large lesions on his liver, which also led them to discover he had colorectal cancer.

He was dead within 2 years.

So my point is that this type of pizza isn’t good for you, and it could even be fatal if the rest of your diet is poor.

I don’t know about you guys, but back when I used to eat this kind of food, I could eat a whole large pepperoni pizza from Pizza Hut if I was hungry enough. I would need to be really, really hungry, but I could finish it off. I’m not even that big of a guy, either, and I was never overweight, even when I wasn’t eating right.

So I believe most guys in the US could probably finish off a whole large pizza if they were hungry to start.

Anyway, here are the nutrition facts for 8 slices of a large pepperoni pizza at Pizza Hut:

Calories: 2400
Fat: 104 grams
Sat Fat: 43.2 grams
Carbs: 272 carbs
Sodium: 256% of the daily value

This is high calorie, high fat, high carb, high sodium.

This type of food will kill you if you don’t eat it in moderation. Or better yet, don’t eat it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss