Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 12:32 PM

130 posts, read 39,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
When someone falls from a ship or jumps in, they should shut off ships engines & throw over a rubber lifeboat (raft), some life vests, some O Rings preservers. They might have a better chance of living.

I served in U.S. Navy, aboard ship.
Thank you for your service!

And yes, it's crazy to me... I don't think the majority of the population realizes when there is an overboard situation, the person will get sucked under the ship and probably be chopped up by the propellers. People act like it's jumping off a ski boat.

One of the absolute worst ways to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2024, 01:05 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
The father is probably going to be forever haunted by the fact that he argued with the kid when he was drunk rather than letting him sleep it off and discussing it in the morning. Shoulda woulda coulda.

On the surface, it sounds as if the kid may have had more serious issues than just drinking too much on vacation.

Old 04-12-2024, 01:37 PM

7,243 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Re the bolded:
I won't say it's impossible, but it's not easy. Each person and their bags go through xray machines every time they get back on the ship. Alcohol is confiscated and held until the end of the cruise.
That's what I heard.

I just got back from a cruise. Bought rum in Nassau. Bought 2 different kinds of tequila in Mexico. Both times my bags were scanned. Hell, I even said there was rum in my bag did I need to pull it out first?

None of it was taken from me. We had all 3 bottles in our room.

Old 04-12-2024, 01:49 PM

130 posts, read 39,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The father is probably going to be forever haunted by the fact that he argued with the kid when he was drunk rather than letting him sleep it off and discussing it in the morning. Shoulda woulda coulda.

Oh for sure. But this kid clearly had mental issues.

Old 04-12-2024, 02:34 PM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Why people continue to be surprised when a drunk person does something impetuous, to expect a drunk person to behave in a rational manner, or keep trying to reason with one is beyond me. They're DRUNK!

Been drunk plenty of times. Never once ever hurt anyone nor myself.

Old 04-12-2024, 02:39 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
That's what I heard.

I just got back from a cruise. Bought rum in Nassau. Bought 2 different kinds of tequila in Mexico. Both times my bags were scanned. Hell, I even said there was rum in my bag did I need to pull it out first?

None of it was taken from me. We had all 3 bottles in our room.
I never had a problem bringing wine back on board with me either.

Old 04-12-2024, 04:10 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Re the bolded:
I won't say it's impossible, but it's not easy. Each person and their bags go through xray machines every time they get back on the ship. Alcohol is confiscated and held until the end of the cruise.
You can bring a certain amount of alcohol when you first board the ship - it's not much though. I guess it's also possible that the kid drank on port and came back wasted.

Old 04-12-2024, 04:13 PM

My husband and I did a little bar hopping in Cozumel. Some of those places are very generous with the amount they give you.

Also, an enterprising kid could have bought vodka, for instance, duty free poured it into water bottles and brought it onto the ship.

Old 04-12-2024, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
apparently the dad thinks the kid is still alive because he was a 'master diver' and worked on a fishing boat. After three days.. I'd say that's wishful thinking.

I've heard tale that age checking can be.. a little lax on cruise ships, but not BAD.. I couldn't tell you if that was fact or not, but.. I'd think it's rather rare. While there are no laws covering it, there are company policies and.. I think many of the people who are employed on cruise ships are from countries where.. It's a pretty good living. They'd probably be unwilling to risk their jobs.

so.. We've got plenty of experienced cruisers around here.. I certainly am not one of them.. As I say.. When I had hair, I was ginger. I've got the skin.. And the skin cancer to prove it. So.. "Fun in the Sun" isn't fun for me.

My understanding is that it's forbidden to bring your own alcohol onto a cruise.. But, that only applies at embarkation? So, if they went to the Caribbean, could someone buy a bottle there at a.. duty free shop or something and bring it back on the ship?

Possible that someone did this.. invited the kid in.. Had a few (too many, apparently) drinks with him?

Can anyone speak to the possibilities of that? Seems more likely than the ship personnel (over) serving him.
The kid loved being on the water and he may have done a drunken miscalculation and jumped thinking that he would survive.

I don't get a suicidal, mentally ill vibe from this - more of an aggravated drunk I'll show him vibe.

Old 04-12-2024, 05:15 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Not exactly ...

Was on pool deck while ship was docked. Grandpa picked up child, held them in the open window. Said he did not know window was open and child slipped/wiggled out of his hands. Dropped almost 100 feet to concrete pier.
I recall that case, also horrific. And the grandfather's explanation for what happened really made no sense. I don't think he did it on purpose, but he sure wasn't taking any responsibility for his role in the tragedy, and it was clear from known facts that he *did* play a significant role. I think that's how he got to pleading on involuntary manslaughter charges. If he really had zero culpability as he insisted publicly, then there wouldn't be such charges, nor would he have pled guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events