Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 09:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

The vast majority of my 'influential'* co-workers were from Stanford, MIT or Cornell, the ONLY U's the company sent workers for academic fellowships. (*upward mobile / interview teams, performance ranking roles). I was pretty rare to get a voice if you were not alumni.

My adult kids experience far more college bias today in their jobs. (Finance, operations, executive staff).

I attribute that to the fact much fewer people know ANYTHING, so they cover their lack of knowledge by socially keeping a small circle. No sense getting a bunch of ideas that you would need to determine if any would actually work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2023, 11:58 AM

4,516 posts, read 5,090,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...e4363ca0&ei=14

Just came across this article

please share your thoughts and stats if possible

is it really true where you go to college does not affect your employment ?

I thought going to good colleges increases your changes of connections networking etc

ofcourse exceptionally intelligent wealthy or lucky people will be successful regardless

But is it really true for the vast majority of us ?
Kind of interesting the author, Jennifer Breheny Wallace, opines that there's 'no good college' and advocates it doesn't matter whether or not you go to a good college to be successful in life yet she, herself, just so happened to graduate from Harvard.

Old 12-11-2023, 10:04 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
For most, it’s true; in fact, for many, they are doing well (and are content) to get through college and earn a solid income. That said, relative to highly-competitive fields and/or a desire to succeed beyond ‘average’ i.e. law, business and medicine - it can (and will) affect opportunity/wages. Relative to law, for example, one may find they are unemployable in the field if they attend an unaccredited law school; at the very least, they are more likely to earn significantly less, as a whole (and are in a different ballpark entirely by comparison to those who graduate from the top-twenty law schools).

Quote:
I thought going to good colleges increases your changes of connections networking etc
Obviously, the better the college, the ‘better’/more successful the connections.

Old 12-11-2023, 03:13 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
For most, it’s true; in fact, for many, they are doing well (and are content) to get through college and earn a solid income. That said, relative to highly-competitive fields and/or a desire to succeed beyond ‘average’ i.e. law, business and medicine - it can (and will) affect opportunity/wages. Relative to law, for example, one may find they are unemployable in the field if they attend an unaccredited law school; at the very least, they are more likely to earn significantly less, as a whole (and are in a different ballpark entirely by comparison to those who graduate from the top-twenty law schools).

Obviously, the better the college, the ‘better’/more successful the connections.

The thesis of this conversation is, well was anyway, about undergraduate work.

Old 12-11-2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The thesis of this conversation is, well was anyway, about undergraduate work.
In that case, it can make a difference (for some) relative to one’s acceptance into an academically-prestigious graduate program.

Old 12-11-2023, 05:33 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I think that for certain skillsets the actual degree matters. Law graduates from Harvard are more valued than law graduates from community colleges - as an example, whereas a degree in computer science may be seen the same everywhere.
Quote:
law graduates from community colleges
Do you know anything about law school?
.I.T

Quote:
whereas a degree in computer science may be seen the same everywhere
I guess you don't know much about the reputation of schools like MIT, Cal Berkeley, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell, or Stanford.

There are obviously situations where the college you graduated from doesn't matter. It depends on the hiring manager and how much reliance they put on different colleges. For example, I don't think it matters if you're interviewing for a teaching job.

OTOH, I worked for a large consulting firm. Each consultant's resume was part of each proposal. Top schools like MIT, Cornell, Carnegie Mellon, Princeton, UPenn carried a lot more weight than schools than state schools or small private colleges. I found that it doesn't help when you get a hundred miles away from the college and people have never heard of it. People give more credibility to a well know school like Penn State, Ohio State, University of Alabama, Notre Dame, etc. even if the academic reputation is not that high. Try explaining to someone in California that you graduated from California University of PA, which is now known as PennWest California.

Old 12-11-2023, 07:43 PM

Quote:
In that case, it can make a difference (for some) relative to one’s acceptance into an academically-prestigious graduate program.
I get that's conventional wisdom. However, the only two studies I've read about this indicate all these factors mean nothing or at best very little per very talented students.

Say Harvard, with well understood exceptions......Harvard admits more or less only very talented students. Ergo its graduates should win lots of excellent grad and professional school slots because they are exceptional students going in.

We find that the return to college selectivity is sizeable for both cohorts in regression models that control for variables commonly observed by researchers, such as student high school GPA and SAT scores. However, when we adjust for unobserved student ability by controlling for the average SAT score of the colleges that students applied to, our estimates of the return to college selectivity fall substantially and are generally indistinguishable from zero.

https://www.nber.org/papers/w17159

Old 12-11-2023, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I get that's conventional wisdom. However, the only two studies I've read about this indicate all these factors mean nothing or at best very little per very talented students.
Again, it depends re: those who are looking to excel beyond ‘average’ and seek to earn significantly more than their counterparts, often out-of-the-gate, relative to highly-competitive fields.

Quote:
Say Harvard, with well understood exceptions......Harvard admits more or less only very talented students. Ergo its graduates should win lots of excellent grad and professional school slots because they are exceptional students going in.
The reason said students seek such is to have a leg-up relative to employment, per the thread. The competition is fierce at top law firms as well as Google, McKinsey & Co, BCG, Bain and so on.

Quote:
As such, it depends on your field and career goals (and where you’d like to be employed).

Old 12-12-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Again, it depends re: those who are looking to excel beyond ‘average’ and seek to earn significantly more than their counterparts, often out-of-the-gate, relative to highly-competitive fields.

The reason said students seek such is to have a leg-up relative to employment, per the thread. The competition is fierce at top law firms as well as Google, McKinsey & Co, BCG, Bain and so on.

As such, it depends on your field and career goals (and where you’d like to be employed).

1. The study I quoted/linked is only about excellent students.

2. Your picture of all of this is a little off because you are in law. Law, MBA studies and to a lesser degree finance remain areas in which graduation colors really matter nominally.

2.1. To re-seed my point (Krueger and Dale's too).....a niece, who was an outstanding high schooler unadjusted 4.00, NMF, went to second rate Catholic school per scholarship and probably the fourth or fifth best law school in NY. She's now partner track at a boutique law firm making right at whatever that lawyer pay level bit is called.

Old 12-12-2023, 10:30 AM

1,203 posts, read 666,545 times
Quote:
Graduate and professional schools are a separate matter.
Disagree. Recruiting out of undergrad at Wharton is different than it is at Humboldt state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities