Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 11:19 AM

1,224 posts, read 525,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
(My opinion) Eventually highest level college football & basketball will sever from the other NCAA governed sports, and smaller programs.
The rules and regs can no longer be evenly applied. Major football & basketball will now be well compensated minor leagues for NFL & NBA. Previously they have been covertly & under-compensated minor leagues. But now the mask is off, and people are accepting it, for better or worse.

Ps I like the Hokies in the Appalachian division. It's a cool Southern distinction. It was lame when they were corralled in to the Big East..
I could see the Big 12, Big Ten, SEC, and ACC break away, and they would do their own bball tourney and let the Big East teams to play it it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2024, 08:06 AM

2,327 posts, read 3,939,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
(My opinion) Eventually highest level college football & basketball will sever from the other NCAA governed sports, and smaller programs.
Get ready for massive cuts in scholarships for many non-FB/MBB teams, and a lot ceasing to exist, if that happens. Something like 99% lose money, and they depend on revenue from the first two to not have to rely on subsidies from the colleges or student fees. USA Today refers to those categories as ”allocated revenue” on the chart in this link.

Old 04-14-2024, 08:17 AM

3,739 posts, read 2,569,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Get ready for massive cuts in scholarships for many non-FB/MBB teams, and a lot ceasing to exist. 99% lose money, and depend on revenue from the first two to not have to rely on subsidies from the colleges or student fees. USA Today refers to those categories as ”allocated revenue” on the chart in this link.
I think this will ultimately be a desirable outcome . Universities should be for developing engineers & teachers, etc.. not developmental leagues for the NFL & NBA. College athletics were fine before big time football & basketball. Sports were viewed as supplemental, competitive activities, not sugar daddies for colleges.

If/when big time football & basketball sever from the NCAA matrix.. there will definitely be an adjustment period of lost revenue. But schools will figure out how to subsidize the smaller sports. And if they don't, so what.. it used to be college sports were just competitive clubs, etc. That's fine with me.

Old 04-14-2024, 02:52 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,997,566 times
Unfortunately, I don't see any likely new alignments including or favoring any schools that are non-Power 5 or FCS. Scheduling of such teams is already beginning to come into disfavor by the Power 5 schools terrified of a loss to one, for example years past programs like Appalachian State, James Madison or Troy. One can already see the attempted tightening of Power 5 deals versus inclusion of the Sunbelt or Conference USA as well as a long-standing foot to the throat of the scary MAC.

Old 04-14-2024, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Unfortunately, I don't see any likely new alignments including or favoring any schools that are non-Power 5 or FCS. Scheduling of such teams is already beginning to come into disfavor by the Power 5 schools terrified of a loss to one, for example years past programs like Appalachian State, James Madison or Troy. One can already see the attempted tightening of Power 5 deals versus inclusion of the Sunbelt or Conference USA as well as a long-standing foot to the throat of the scary MAC.
2 years from now the MWC will be the PAC whatever. WSU and OSU have a 2 year football scheduling arrangement with the MWC, while they park their other sports in the WCC for 2 years. The MWC TV deal expires around then and they will likely get a decent bump. Although it's still a revenue and prestige loss for WSU and OSU.

P4 programs will continue to play G5 schools so long as they don't break away.

Old 04-14-2024, 04:01 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,997,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
2 years from now the MWC will be the PAC whatever. WSU and OSU have a 2 year football scheduling arrangement with the MWC, while they park their other sports in the WCC for 2 years. The MWC TV deal expires around then and they will likely get a decent bump. Although it's still a revenue and prestige loss for WSU and OSU.

P4 programs will continue to play G5 schools so long as they don't break away.
I can foresee a possible MWC expansion with FCS schools like North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Montana, Northern Arizona, Eastern Washington, Weber State and Idaho joining WSU, OSU in the existing 12-team Mountain West. All are currently regular FCS national championship contenders typically year to year. A geographic split between an Eastern and Western division would keep travel costs down also over a geographically broad area.

Old 04-15-2024, 06:33 AM

6,083 posts, read 9,124,662 times
Quote:
I could see the Big 12, Big Ten, SEC, and ACC break away, and they would do their own bball tourney and let the Big East teams to play it it.
I hope that basketball is left alone. There would be no greater loss of entertainment value then the current setup for the NCAA tournament. Football is a different animal all together.

Old 04-18-2024, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I can foresee a possible MWC expansion with FCS schools like North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Montana, Northern Arizona, Eastern Washington, Weber State and Idaho joining WSU, OSU in the existing 12-team Mountain West. All are currently regular FCS national championship contenders typically year to year. A geographic split between an Eastern and Western division would keep travel costs down also over a geographically broad area.
LOL that's not going to happen. When the MWC joins with WSU and OSU they become, by far, the best G5 conference and their current TV deal expires 2026 (Mostly CBS then ESPN). FCS schools add nothing.
Considering The PAC 12 schools left for the Big Ten (FOX) and the Big 12 (FOX ESPN mix) the NPAC12 will likely be courted by ESPN as a Pacific/Mountain time zone offering.

Old 04-18-2024, 08:20 AM

6,083 posts, read 9,124,662 times
Quote:
LOL that's not going to happen. When the MWC joins with WSU and OSU they become, by far, the best G5 conference and their current TV deal expires 2026 (Mostly CBS then ESPN). FCS schools add nothing.
Considering The PAC 12 schools left for the Big Ten (FOX) and the Big 12 (FOX ESPN mix) the NPAC12 will likely be courted by ESPN as a Pacific/Mountain time zone offering.
I agree. Adding FCS programs is not going to strengthen any conference at this point. The Mountain West/PAC 2 merger might benefit from looking East at teams in Texas.

Old 04-18-2024, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I agree. Adding FCS programs is not going to strengthen any conference at this point. The Mountain West/PAC 2 merger might benefit from looking East at teams in Texas.
ESPN has a piece of the Big 12 and pretty much all of the AAC (that a ton of Central Time Zone teams) so if they become the rights holder for the NPAC12 it doesn't make sense to add Texas teams. Fox has no interest in the NPAC12, so it's ESPN or CBS. If it's CBS, or something new like CW or Amazon, then adding a couple of Texas teams might make sense. Not sure that, Rice, N. Texas, UTSA, ETEP, is all that interesting to them. We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football