Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 03:46 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,574,730 times

Advertisements

There are currently 8 bowl games in Florida, 3 of which are in Orlando:

Cheese It Bowl (no, really). Citrus Bowl, and the Cure Bowl.

Capital One Orange Bowl is in Miami.

The Tampa Bay Bowl and the Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl(!) are in Tampa Bay.

Tax Slayer Gator Bowl is in Jacksonville.

The RoofClaim.Com Boca Raton Bowl is in Boca, of course.

I have at least heard of the Citrus, Orange and Gator Bowls. The rest, not so much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2023, 04:03 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I have a feeling there will be at least several UT players opting out. It's funny how just a few players not playing can change a team. One reason I really don't put a lot into bowl games the last 5+ years... which is when more and more players have decided to opt out.

I was disappointed to see Iowa's OC not receive his bonus for the Hawkeyes' offense scoring more than 325(?) points this year. I was really rooting for him because I think it was around half a million dollars.

Ironically, I do like Iowa as well. Kirk Ferentz grew up in the next neighborhood over from me, so I've always wanted him to do well. Do you think he will retire in the next few years?
Now that his son has been let go, I can see him gone after next year.

I'm sure the hope was to groom Brian Ferentz for the head coaching job. Obviously, that didn't work.

Old 12-08-2023, 04:04 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ege_bowl_games

Go to this website and scroll to the bottom to Defunct major-college bowl games You will be surprised at how many bowl games there were from the mid 1940s until the late 1950s. Examples are the Corn Bowl (1947–1951, 1953, 1955), Delta Bowl (1947–1948), Dixie Bowl (1947-1948), Great Lakes Bowl (1947), Harbor Bowl (1946–1948), and a few others.

There were quite a few from around Y2K as well. Seattle Bowl is one I can think of.

And then the name changes. Lord.. Since the title sponsors that's really exploded. But.. I do remember back in the day when the Citrus Bowl was the Tangerine Bowl.

The problem, and i'm sure people have mentioned this before. If you're not in the playoffs. No one really wants to play in the bowl games. So.. We're almost going back to the future here in a way

There's going to be the 12 teams in the playoffs and.. What's the point of the other teams playing when half their rosters are either sitting out to not get hurt for the move to the NFL or have gone into the portal?

Bowls will almost be like pre-season games.

Old 12-09-2023, 07:32 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Cities chase bowl games thinking they'll be cash cows. Nothing wrong with filling some hotel rooms and getting some TV coverage. But outside the ranked vs. ranked games it seems like a lot of empty seats. Like 20,000 or even 10,000 show up. So you sell some hotel rooms for a couple nights and your city looks kind of sad on TV. Not a paddlin but not a bonanza.
Eh, that's the old paradigm. Most of the bowls that have a local organizing committee as ownership have been around at least a decent long while and do make money for themselves and their communities. Back in the early/mid 90s the number of bowls was in the low-mid 20s. Most of these newer, pre-Christmas bowls you see where nobody shows up are actually directly owned by ESPN Events--17 of them, in fact. They make money for ESPN. Again, even the worst-rated bowl game garners exponentially higher ratings than anything else they could put in that time slot.

Y'all don't have to watch. Why some of y'all feel the need to yuck on some people's yum is beyond me.

Old 12-09-2023, 07:45 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
I'm still waiting for Kholer to sponsor the Toilet Bowl. Pick the two worst teams in the country and play it either at Lambeau Field in January or go ahead and reward them for being bad and play it in Hawaii.

Old 12-09-2023, 08:47 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I'm still waiting for Kholer to sponsor the Toilet Bowl. Pick the two worst teams in the country and play it either at Lambeau Field in January or go ahead and reward them for being bad and play it in Hawaii.
Great idea. Definitely mocks our current bowl status.

I'm thinking maybe a high school field in Flushing NY.

Old 12-09-2023, 02:41 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Eh, that's the old paradigm. Most of the bowls that have a local organizing committee as ownership have been around at least a decent long while and do make money for themselves and their communities. Back in the early/mid 90s the number of bowls was in the low-mid 20s. Most of these newer, pre-Christmas bowls you see where nobody shows up are actually directly owned by ESPN Events--17 of them, in fact. They make money for ESPN. Again, even the worst-rated bowl game garners exponentially higher ratings than anything else they could put in that time slot.

Y'all don't have to watch. Why some of y'all feel the need to yuck on some people's yum is beyond me.
I said nothing about organizing committees. Cities still chase stuff regardless of sponsor. They (governments, eco-devo organizations) participate in a variety of ways like pursing events, assigning police, granting temporary street use permits, hyping events, etc.

As for "yucking on some people's yum," I have no idea why you put that in response to my post.

Old 12-09-2023, 03:33 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:

You either lucked into that or were really thinking it through.

Since Hawaii's stadium is condemned and all.

Or have they finally demo'ed it?

Old 12-09-2023, 08:25 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,081,340 times
Quote:
In case you missed my post, the Toilet Bowl is scheduled to be played this year in Gary Indiana, which is voted as the Worst Overall city in America

SEE POST 465 in Official 2023-24 College Football Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 10:13 PM

1,979 posts, read 968,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Now that his son has been let go, I can see him gone after next year.

I'm sure the hope was to groom Brian Ferentz for the head coaching job. Obviously, that didn't work.
Yeah, it's too bad. He has been solid as HC. Just couldn't seem to get Iowa over the top to the elite level. But can't fully blame him when he is competing with Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football