Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 07:59 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Don't forget the Sun Bowl. It's been around a long time. In fact it started about the same time as the Orange, Sugar and Cotton Bowls started. Before the Gator and Citrus.
I listed the Sun bowl in my original seven. You missed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2023, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I like them just for the unusual matchups. As a Tennessee fan, seeing Tennessee playing Iowa is going to be an interesting clash of strengths.
I want to see if Nico will play in the game. Milton was invited to the Senior Bowl, I wonder if he will skip the bowl and just play in that. More scouts will probably be at the Senior Bowl.

I like Tennessee because Iowa just can't score. UT has enough offense to get at least 10-14 points which is all they might need to win.

Old 12-08-2023, 10:09 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I want to see if Nico will play in the game. Milton was invited to the Senior Bowl, I wonder if he will skip the bowl and just play in that. More scouts will probably be at the Senior Bowl.

I like Tennessee because Iowa just can't score. UT has enough offense to get at least 10-14 points which is all they might need to win.
I'm a Hawkeye fan and it pains me to say you're dead right on this. I can live with Tennessee winning. Josh Heupel is a South Dakota boy.

There is a fly in the ointment for Tennessee. Apparently there are players thinking of opting out in order to prepare for the NFL draft.

https://www.on3.com/college/tennesse...eupel-opt-out/

Vegas had an over/under for JUST Iowa in the Michigan game of 6 1/2 points. Only ONE touchdown or 3 lousy field goals and it's an over. They couldn't even do that. I'm sure Vegas made a lot of money on that one.

Old 12-08-2023, 11:51 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Yes you are right that as time went on, more games were added. I was more referring to the seven I named because they were the only ones from the mid 1940s until the late 1950s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ege_bowl_games

Go to this website and scroll to the bottom to Defunct major-college bowl games You will be surprised at how many bowl games there were from the mid 1940s until the late 1950s. Examples are the Corn Bowl (1947–1951, 1953, 1955), Delta Bowl (1947–1948), Dixie Bowl (1947-1948), Great Lakes Bowl (1947), Harbor Bowl (1946–1948), and a few others.

Old 12-08-2023, 12:24 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
I listed the Sun bowl in my original seven. You missed it.
Sorry, I must have.

I would bet though, looking at the list of defunct bowl games that during that period there was likely one other bowl game most of those years.

I remember Bowl games like the Gotham Bowl, Garden State Bowl and a couple of attempts for a second bowl game in California in the 1960s. They all failed and then all the warm weather places that didn't have bowls (San Diego, Phoenix, Houston, Atlanta) started games. And places that weren't really that ideal started games in like Shreveport, Birmingham... and then off we went.

Old 12-08-2023, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Sorry, I must have.

I would bet though, looking at the list of defunct bowl games that during that period there was likely one other bowl game most of those years.

I remember Bowl games like the Gotham Bowl, Garden State Bowl and a couple of attempts for a second bowl game in California in the 1960s. They all failed and then all the warm weather places that didn't have bowls (San Diego, Phoenix, Houston, Atlanta) started games. And places that weren't really that ideal started games in like Shreveport, Birmingham... and then off we went.
Yep, as you and others pointed out, money and tv ruined it all. Also I bet the schools don't mind all the payouts.

Old 12-08-2023, 02:10 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
The schools also get to practice for another month. It helps them do well next year.

Old 12-08-2023, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I'm a Hawkeye fan and it pains me to say you're dead right on this. I can live with Tennessee winning. Josh Heupel is a South Dakota boy.

There is a fly in the ointment for Tennessee. Apparently there are players thinking of opting out in order to prepare for the NFL draft.

https://www.on3.com/college/tennesse...eupel-opt-out/

Vegas had an over/under for JUST Iowa in the Michigan game of 6 1/2 points. Only ONE touchdown or 3 lousy field goals and it's an over. They couldn't even do that. I'm sure Vegas made a lot of money on that one.
I have a feeling there will be at least several UT players opting out. It's funny how just a few players not playing can change a team. One reason I really don't put a lot into bowl games the last 5+ years... which is when more and more players have decided to opt out.

I was disappointed to see Iowa's OC not receive his bonus for the Hawkeyes' offense scoring more than 325(?) points this year. I was really rooting for him because I think it was around half a million dollars.

Ironically, I do like Iowa as well. Kirk Ferentz grew up in the next neighborhood over from me, so I've always wanted him to do well. Do you think he will retire in the next few years?

Old 12-08-2023, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ege_bowl_games

Go to this website and scroll to the bottom to Defunct major-college bowl games You will be surprised at how many bowl games there were from the mid 1940s until the late 1950s. Examples are the Corn Bowl (1947–1951, 1953, 1955), Delta Bowl (1947–1948), Dixie Bowl (1947-1948), Great Lakes Bowl (1947), Harbor Bowl (1946–1948), and a few others.
Thank you, sir. That is an excellent resource.

Old 12-08-2023, 02:53 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Cities chase bowl games thinking they'll be cash cows. Nothing wrong with filling some hotel rooms and getting some TV coverage. But outside the ranked vs. ranked games it seems like a lot of empty seats. Like 20,000 or even 10,000 show up. So you sell some hotel rooms for a couple nights and your city looks kind of sad on TV. Not a paddlin but not a bonanza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football