Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 06:04 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,341,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Yayy, glad you are back in any capacity. My first year doing college fball but I'll give it a shot. Picks in bold.

Navy vs. Notre Dame (@ Dublin, Ireland) 2:30
UTEP @ Jacksonville State 5:30
UMass @ New Mexico State 7:00
Ohio @ San Diego State 7:00
Florida International @ Louisiana Tech 9:00
San Jose State at USC 8:00
Well, I ended up 3-3. Thank god I added that USC game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2023, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
This ND/Navy game is pretty much over. It's 21-0 ND halfway through the second quarter.
It was 28-0 at halftime then I stopped watching it. Final score 42-3, ND. Hartman looked like a pro playing college ball. It's only Navy but I thought the Midshipmen would put up a better fight.

Old 08-28-2023, 08:15 AM

https://sports.yahoo.com/arizona-sta...REZVpwwEK4DeXX

"Arizona State University has informed the NCAA and Pac-12 conference that it will self-impose a one-year postseason ban on its football program for the upcoming season," athletic director Ray Anderson said in a statement. "In light of the ongoing investigation and our membership obligation to maintain the confidentiality of the matter, we will not be commenting further at this time."

Edwards was accused of hosting recruits on campus during the NCAA dead period that took place because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Former defensive coordinator Antonio Pierce, who also served as the school's recruiting coordinator, was accused of helping create a culture that rewarded those violations. The investigation led to five full-time coaches leaving the staff or being fired, including Pierce and former offensive coordinator Zak Hill.

Because of the investigation, some expected Edwards to resign after the 2021 season. But he didn't leave the role until three games into the 2022 season, under a "mutual agreement." He returned to his role as ESPN analyst in November, a job he began in 2009. He left the broadcasting position when he was hired to lead the Sun Devils in 2018.

Old 08-28-2023, 10:53 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times
Went 2-3 in Week 0

Week 1:

NC State @ UConn --- The Tony Gibson Special!
Florida @ Utah --- This will be a fun game!
Nebraska @ Minnesota ---- Nebraska's one hit wonder for the year
Georgia Tech vs. Louisville --- Louisville is a mess
Stanford @ Hawaii --- I always pick Hawaii, and they always disappoint. I guess I'm a creature of habit.
Bowling Green @ Liberty Go Flames!
Fresno State @ Purdue --- Fresno is one of those bite ya kind of teams
Boise State @ Washington --- Another good game.
South Florida @ Western Kentucky --- coin toss
California @ North Texas --- NT will be hyped to have a "power 5" team in their stadium.
Army @ UL Monroe --- It'll look similar to Kuwait
Washington State @ Colorado State --- Another PAC 12 @ G5 game
UTSA @ Houston --- Houston will embarrass themselves
South Carolina vs. North Carolina --- SC will be really good
Texas Tech @ Wyoming --- Texas Tech will also be really good!
South Alabama @ Tulane --- no comment
Northwestern @ Rutgers --- The B1G Bottom Feeder Bowl!
Oregon State @ San Jose State --- Oregon State's first audition for the Mountain West
Florida State vs. LSU --- LSU will bring FSU back to reality with this one 54-27
Clemson @ Duke --- Is this even fair?

What is with all these PAC schools playing at G5 stadiums?

Bonus pick

West Virginia @ Penn State --- 41-38 (ya heard it here first!)

Old 08-28-2023, 08:29 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,081,340 times
I went 4-1 Opening week. It was the U-MESS game that I picked wrong. UMess is listed on ESPN's Preseason Bottom ten as the worst team.....well, now that New Mexico State lost to them , maybe that will change next week .

NC STATE (8-5 last year) @ UConn (6-7 last year) (Thursday 7:30). While U-Conn amazed a few people last year by improving, this is a tough way to start the season

Florida (6-7 last year) @ UTAH (10-4 last year) (Thursday 8:00). Last year, the Utes open was spoiled by the Alligators, who travel to Utah for a rematch

Nebraska (4-8, 3-6 last year) @ MEE-nuh-SOW-DUH (9-4, 5-4 last year) (Thursday 8:00). This will probably be my Thursday Night Game, unless I watch the State of Kent vs UCF
Georgia Tech (5-7, 4-4 last year) vs. LOUISVILLE (which we pronounce "LOO-ISS-VILLE" here at the Big Cat's House) (8-5, 4-4 last year) (@ Mercedez-Benz Dome in Atlanta. Not an official Tech home game) (Friday 7:30). The Rambling Wreck gets wrecked by the Cardinals
STAN-FORD (3-9 last year) @ Hawaii (0-1) (Friday 11:00). I Love these late games from Hawaii It helps my Insomnia. Plus it gives me another team to follow just for fun. I'll watch this if I am awake, Although my Friday Night game will be Miami vs Miami Still would love to see the Rainbows beat the Other Cardinal....

Bowling Green Bowling Pins (6-7 last year) @ LIBERTY (8-5 last year) 12:00. Liberty Liberty Liberty Liberty. Another team I hate

FRESNO STATE (10-4 last year) @ Purdue (8-6 last year) 12:00. Agree with ChrisCross. The Bulldogs have to Prepare in case Purr'DO" shows up as opposed to Purr"Don't" and we never know with the Boilermakers which team will take the field...the potential BIG 16 Champion or the Potential Toilet Bowl runner-up

Boise State (10-4 last year) @ WASHINGTON (11-2 last year) 3:30. Going with the home team, especially if they use a purple field...

South Florida (1-11 last year) @ WESTERN KENTUCKY (9-5 last year) 3:30. Living in Tampa, have not heard of any football excitement locally for this year, so I am taking the Fools on the HillTop to coast to an easy win at home.
California (4-8 last year) @ THE ALMA MATER (7-7 last year) 4:00. I am really glad the Alma Mater is hosting this game, and with the new coach and new system, they may have a chance to win at home. Last year though, the offense was decent but the defense was awful. SO They fired everyone, as they should, and hired an offensive minded coach (probably who works for cheap, being North Texas) and did not take any recruits or transfers on defense that really looked all that impressive. SO They may be needing a "next man up" defense to stay fresh. We will see. Expect a very high scoring game. The Over/Under is 54, I Would bet the Over IF I bet, but I don't and neither should YOU !

ARMY (6-6 last year) @ UL Monroe Uhlm (4-8 last year) 7:00. I love to watch ARMY but lets face it, we have no idea year to year what team they will have. They do have 6'4" Receiver Isaiah Alston who can make one handed catches so he could be fun to watch.

WASHINGTON STATE (7-6 last year) @ Colorado State (3-9 last year) 7:00. I am considering the Cougars as being able to keep up with anyone in the PAC24 this year and this is a warm up game, albeit on the road, for them.

UTSA (11-3 last year) @ Houston (8-5 last year) 7:00. Beep Beep

South Carolina (8-5 last year) vs. North Carolina (9-5 last year) (@ Charlotte) 7:30. Ah the Battle of some of the Carolinas Not sure if the LameCocks are good enough to kick the Tar out of the Heels, but watch for a freshmen kicker on the SC Squad who played high school with my son and I hope he does well at the NCAA Level.

Texas Tech (8-5 last year) @ WYOMING (7-6 last year). Everyone here knows how much I like Wyoming too. Another team that I really like.

South Alabama (10-3 last year) @ TULANE (12-2 last year). The Two-Lane Roadsters are picked to finish high in the conference this year, while the Jaguars bring up a hig hope for the equally crowded but less competitive Sun Belt,

Northwestern (1-11, 1-8 last year) @ RUTGUHS (4-8, 1-8 last year (Sunday 12:00). Home team advantage?

Organ State (10-3 last year) @ SAN JOSE STATE (0-1) (Sunday 3:30). The Spartans showed that they can move the ball against anyone even the supposedly top rated defense of a supposedly top ten USC team. Supposedly. Meanwhile, at home, AND having had a week to work on the fundamentals, I am picking them to win a close game over the Organ State Bellows who probably do not know the way to San Jose.

Florida State (10-3 last year) vs. LSU (10-4 last year) (@ Orlando Sunday 7:30). I am not really up for watching college football on Sunday night as I have gotten hooked on the CFL thanks In Part to several people on this forum...

CLEMSON (11-3, 8-0 last year) @ Duke (9-4, 5-3 last year) And we finish out on a Labor Day Night (Monday 8:00).

SO my games to watch]Thursday Night Probably Nebraska and MEE-nuh-SOW-duh
Friday Miami vs Miami and then Hawaii Late (if I stay up)

Sat Early Game. Hard Choice Either TCUVs COLORADO or Utah State vs I-OWE-A

Afternoon Game California and the Alma Mater of course
Evening Either Penn State and West Virginia or Texas Tech vs Wyoming or Army vs Uhlm. Too many good games and teams I like playing at once.
Late The one from the Rose Bowl, Coastal Carolina vs UCLA looks like an interesting matchup. CC Always starts off strong.
I have HULU so if anything gets too bad I can check out the lineup there.

I am hoping to use the grill and make a few dozen chicken wings for everyone to munch on during the afternoon. Also gotten into Bread Making, which I started this summer as I was home recovering from surgery. Homemade Beer Bread goes really good with anything on the grill and is fun to make. Perfect food for a Football Saturday !

Everyone enjoy the games and stay safe.

Old 08-29-2023, 05:50 AM

Some good games for week 1. Bring it on!

NC State (8-5 last year) @ UConn (6-7 last year) (Thursday 7:30).
Florida (6-7 last year) @ Utah (10-4 last year) (Thursday 8:00).
Nebraska (4-8, 3-6 last year) @ Minnesota (9-4, 5-4 last year) (Thursday 8:00).
Georgia Tech (5-7, 4-4 last year) vs. Louisville (8-5, 4-4 last year) (@ Mercedez-Benz Dome in Atlanta. Not an official Tech home game) (Friday 7:30).
Stanford (3-9 last year) @ Hawaii (0-1) (Friday 11:00).
Bowling Green (6-7 last year) @ Liberty (8-5 last year) 12:00.
Fresno State (10-4 last year) @ Purdue (8-6 last year) 12:00.
Boise State (10-4 last year) @ Washington (11-2 last year) 3:30.
South Florida (1-11 last year) @ Western Kentucky (9-5 last year) 3:30.
California (4-8 last year) @ North Texas (7-7 last year) 4:00.
Army (6-6 last year) @ UL Monroe (4-8 last year) 7:00.
Washington State (7-6 last year) @ Colorado State (3-9 last year) 7:00.
UTSA (11-3 last year) @ Houston (8-5 last year) 7:00.
South Carolina (8-5 last year) vs. North Carolina (9-5 last year) (@ Charlotte) 7:30.
Texas Tech (8-5 last year) @ Wyoming (7-6 last year).
South Alabama (10-3 last year) @ Tulane (12-2 last year).
Northwestern (1-11, 1-8 last year) @ Rutgers (4-8, 1-8 last year (Sunday 12:00).
Oregon State (10-3 last year) @ San Jose State (0-1) (Sunday 3:30).
Florida State (10-3 last year) vs. LSU (10-4 last year) (@ Orlando Sunday 7:30).
Clemson (11-3, 8-0 last year) @ Duke (9-4, 5-3 last year) (Monday 8:00).

Bonus pick

West Virginia @ Penn State. Really, @Chriscross309? Did you think I was going to let that go?

Old 08-29-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Bonus pick

West Virginia @ Penn State. Really, @Chriscross309? Did you think I was going to let that go?
Realistically WVU will be lucky to cover the spread

Old 08-29-2023, 10:24 AM

^^^^The spread is PSU -20.5 last I looked. The sentiment is the HC of WVU is on the hot seat.

Old 08-29-2023, 11:18 AM

Quote:
^^^^The spread is PSU -20.5 last I looked. The sentiment is the HC of WVU is on the hot seat.
His seat is hotter than vinyl pool chair in August. But I think that the AD will give him a pass on the season opener. It's a tough ask to play this Penn State team, in Happy Valley, when you're picked to finish last in the conference.

Old 08-30-2023, 10:25 AM

202 posts, read 147,467 times
Quote:
https://sports.yahoo.com/arizona-sta...REZVpwwEK4DeXX

"Arizona State University has informed the NCAA and Pac-12 conference that it will self-impose a one-year postseason ban on its football program for the upcoming season," athletic director Ray Anderson said in a statement. "In light of the ongoing investigation and our membership obligation to maintain the confidentiality of the matter, we will not be commenting further at this time."

Edwards was accused of hosting recruits on campus during the NCAA dead period that took place because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Former defensive coordinator Antonio Pierce, who also served as the school's recruiting coordinator, was accused of helping create a culture that rewarded those violations. The investigation led to five full-time coaches leaving the staff or being fired, including Pierce and former offensive coordinator Zak Hill.

Because of the investigation, some expected Edwards to resign after the 2021 season. But he didn't leave the role until three games into the 2022 season, under a "mutual agreement." He returned to his role as ESPN analyst in November, a job he began in 2009. He left the broadcasting position when he was hired to lead the Sun Devils in 2018.
Herm set back the program for years. It was a terrible hire in the first place, and Anderson should be gone as well for hiring his friend. What a joke. Many of us Sun Devils are very displeased with the current athletic department, but we are cautiously optimistic about the new coach. They may not be eligible for a bowl game this year (not that they would likely earn one anyway), but as long as they beat the mouth breathers from Tucson, it will be a successful season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football