Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 11:15 AM

3,086 posts, read 2,215,292 times

Advertisements

If small town is what you want - try Yellow Springs. Close to Dayton as well. Never lived there but liked visiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 11:46 AM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times
Antioch College is in Yellow Springs. Wife/gf at the time did some kind of internship there. I used to visit ...nice little town.

Old 01-12-2024, 12:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
If I have time I will check it out. I have been there several times but not looking for property. LOL Lordy.

Old 01-17-2024, 07:40 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,972,616 times
If your primary reason to move is to be close to someone, I strongly encourage you to live as close as possible to them. If they live in Lebanon then why not live in Lebanon? There's a lot of housing stock in your price range and taxes are reasonable.

What you don't want to do IMO is to move somewhere further away for whatever reason and then 2-3 years later (after the novelty has worn off) you will visit your granddaughter less and less because it's a "hassle" driving back and forth or there's "bad weather" etc.

If it were me, I would look for a house which has a nice playground within walking distance so you can take your granddaughter there when she's old enough. I drove by a really neat looking playground a few weeks ago in downtown Lebanon called Harmon Park which is on East Street. I was driving but I remember seeing a big playground area and walking trails and big, mature trees. Would be a perfect place to take an infant on a stroller ride.

Additionally, it's a 5 minute drive to Countryside YMCA which is as nice, or nicer, than any Lifetime Fitness and it's close to all the downtown restaurants and shops.

Costco opened a store on the West Chester/Mason border ~1 year ago and Dorothy Lane Markets (a high-end independent grocer) is building a new store in Mason which should be open 1 year from now.

Like anywhere else in this great country, you will be welcomed if you have a good attitude. If you're a closed-minded dick and aren't willing to actively 'blend-in" with the people and you move to San Francisco and bring an outward MAGA or die attitude-----then guess what, I don't think you're going to be warmly embraced by the locals.

The flip side holds true, too. If you're a rabid progressive wanting to defund the police and aren't afraid to tell everyone, then don't expect to be warmly embraced by most Ohioans outside the big urban areas.

And of all the criticisms I've heard about Cinti, this is the first I've EVER heard about anti-Catholic biases. It's downright laughable! Cinti area is one of the heaviest concentrations of Catholics in the USA. Again, you usually get in return how you treat others. I'm sure you can go anywhere in the USA as a Catholic and start running your trap about it that you'll find some Protestants/Jews/Hindus, etc that are going to have some problems with you.

Last edited by flashes1; 01-17-2024 at 07:56 AM..

Old 01-20-2024, 04:41 PM
on3

498 posts, read 383,859 times
Find a township like deerfield or liberty where you aren’t paying city taxes to support a school system despite not having kids that go to said school. This applies to retirees that have work income that is subject to taxation.

Weather isn’t bad here 11 months out of the year and Mason community center blows away any YMCA, but again taxes may be a concern. I’m sure there are other community centers in townships that may be of interest.

Old 01-21-2024, 05:39 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on3 View Post
Find a township like deerfield or liberty where you aren’t paying city taxes to support a school system despite not having kids that go to said school. This applies to retirees that have work income that is subject to taxation.

Weather isn’t bad here 11 months out of the year and Mason community center blows away any YMCA, but again taxes may be a concern. I’m sure there are other community centers in townships that may be of interest.
I was happy to see this comment. We will be moving to Liberty Township next month after a whirlwind house hunting trip earlier this month. It was our first visit to the area and we are hoping we chose a good fit for us. It felt right anyway. I didn’t know about the city tax thing. Is there a significant tax savings living in Liberty Township?

Old 01-22-2024, 04:27 PM
on3

498 posts, read 383,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
I was happy to see this comment. We will be moving to Liberty Township next month after a whirlwind house hunting trip earlier this month. It was our first visit to the area and we are hoping we chose a good fit for us. It felt right anyway. I didn’t know about the city tax thing. Is there a significant tax savings living in Liberty Township?

In Ohio, townships do not levy an income tax on residents. If you live and work in a township, you will pay no income tax (assuming your business is not within a Joint Economic Development District). The township's residential taxpayer funding comes generally through property taxes.

The JEDD contract calls for the levy of a 1.5% income tax on individual earnings as well as business net profits derived from businesses and employees within the JEDD.

Old 01-24-2024, 08:21 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
didn’t know about the city tax thing. Is there a significant tax savings living in Liberty Township?
Generally, township residents pay a higher millage in property taxes because the townships can't levy income taxes. Your mileage may vary.

Old 01-24-2024, 04:40 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Generally, township residents pay a higher millage in property taxes because the townships can't levy income taxes. Your mileage may vary.
It's so complicated My advice is to live wherever suits you best and may the chips fall as they will. Two things are certain in life - Death and taxes. I mean, Ohio is right up there among the best states for taxes in general. YMMV.

Old 01-25-2024, 03:01 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's so complicated My advice is to live wherever suits you best and may the chips fall as they will. Two things are certain in life - Death and taxes. I mean, Ohio is right up there among the best states for taxes in general. YMMV.
Property taxes are a bit of a gut punch after living in a low property tax area. But I’m sure we pay in other ways here. The tax collectors always have their hands in our pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati