Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 01:21 PM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times

Advertisements

Re: gas-- doing a colonoscopy is like crawling thru a flimsy plasitc tube-- the walls collapse down around you (the scope, that is) so you can't see anyrthing...the doc pumps in air to puff the walls out. Any pain experienced afterwards is "gas pains"- increased air pressure in the colon. You naturally expell that, usually pretty quickly. Some people have a more prolonged problem.

Re: having someone else drive-- anesthesia is usually via Versed or similar tranquilizer that really just gives you amnesia for what's happening. You're actually "awake" and can respond to doc's commands like "Roll a little to your right..Move your leg here" etc....For most people, that stuff comes out of your system pretty quickly, but for some it can take a few hours. You may look like you're awake soon afterwards, but may not really be in control. Play it safe and have someone else be the designated driver.

Re: the importance of routine colonoscopy....Half of all people develop polyps...10% of polyps become cancerous within 10 yrs--so 5% of everyone will get colon cancer--VERY common disease..Cancer can be prevented by the simple polypectomy performed at a routine colonoscopy, or treared complety by same if the polyp is already cancerous but small...AND most imporantly, higher stages of colon cancer have pretty lousy prognosis, so getting it early is really important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2023, 10:30 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

Re: having someone else drive-- anesthesia is usually via Versed or similar tranquilizer that really just gives you amnesia for what's happening. You're actually "awake" and can respond to doc's commands like "Roll a little to your right..Move your leg here" etc....For most people, that stuff comes out of your system pretty quickly, but for some it can take a few hours. You may look like you're awake soon afterwards, but may not really be in control. Play it safe and have someone else be the designated driver.
My doctor used propofol. I was out. Count down from 10 gone at 8. The problem with the anesthesia you mention is sometimes you are actually totally aware of what is going on and remember it. This can be emotionally damaging. Personally for me I wanted out and the doctor was ok with that. I was totally aware after.

Old 04-07-2023, 10:55 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Yep, propofol for me as well. Gosh, the last time I had Versed was what, 20 years ago? Something like that. It gave me a doozy of a headache.

Old 04-10-2023, 01:13 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,505,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I have a neice that is Stage 4 Colon Cancer diagnosed Sep 2021. She is in her 40's. She immediately had Colon surgery at that time, and has been on Chemo ever since. She goes in for Chemo treatments and then wears a port, for more Chemo at home in between her treatments. Her cancer had spread beyond the Colon at diagnosis. She is now really struggling with it and has had to go on a regiment of strong pain killers, I don't believe she was on them or it was limited use until now. She had to leave her job immediately at diagnosis, as she just wasn't able to work anymore. The Original Chemo Schedule didn't work enough, and she had to go on what they call Aggressive Chemo. It is very powerful but really its only giving her some more time, and she is well aware of that. I honestly don't think she will be able to tolerate this high level of treatment much longer, she is now confined to home all the time as she is completely exhausted and sedated.

Cancer is very cruel and as far as I'm concerned, the Medical World should be further advanced on curing it by now. Or at least go into remission more than it does now. More and more young people do seem to be dealing with this miserable cancer, but 29 is way to young to be dealing with it.
It's only been a short time since I posted this reply. Since then my niece took a turn for the worse. Her chemo even at the most powerful levels, was not enough to stop the spread of her Colon Cancer. It was in her liver and had spread to her lungs. She became very sick the past few weeks, and she was put on oxygen and mostly confined to bed. She was struggling to breathe and her pain was just to much even on meds. 3 days ago it was decided to stop all treatments, and that she would be put on Home Hospice. So it has been 19 months since she was diagnosed Stage 4 Colon Cancer. Her family which includes 3 kids, are going to have a terrible time dealing with this death.

Old 04-10-2023, 01:22 PM

13,274 posts, read 364,885 times
All Very sad to hear.

Old 04-10-2023, 10:56 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
It's only been a short time since I posted this reply. Since then my niece took a turn for the worse. Her chemo even at the most powerful levels, was not enough to stop the spread of her Colon Cancer. It was in her liver and had spread to her lungs. She became very sick the past few weeks, and she was put on oxygen and mostly confined to bed. She was struggling to breathe and her pain was just to much even on meds. 3 days ago it was decided to stop all treatments, and that she would be put on Home Hospice. So it has been 19 months since she was diagnosed Stage 4 Colon Cancer. Her family which includes 3 kids, are going to have a terrible time dealing with this death.

I'm so sorry. Colon cancer is a nasty beast that has to be one of the hardest to fight. I hope that she's peaceful when it's her time to pass on like when my dad was taking his last breaths.

My heart goes out to her children who are probably much too young to lose their mother.

Cancer sucks!

Old 04-11-2023, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz88 View Post
All Very sad to hear.
Thank you for your kind words

Old 04-11-2023, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm so sorry. Colon cancer is a nasty beast that has to be one of the hardest to fight. I hope that she's peaceful when it's her time to pass on like when my dad was taking his last breaths.

My heart goes out to her children who are probably much too young to lose their mother.

Cancer sucks!
Thank you. Her kids are teens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer