Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 04:54 AM

879 posts, read 764,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Belated update: I had my 6 month scans back in January. They were all clear again. My medical oncologist told me that if they are this good in July, I will be moved to their long-term survivor program. I was very happy about that.

Also, after the January scans and for the first time since my diagnosis in 2019, I have truly forgotten about cancer and just starting living life in the same normal psychological space as I did before the diagnosis.
Wonderful news!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2023, 08:20 PM

810 posts, read 870,015 times
Quote:
Belated update: I had my 6 month scans back in January. They were all clear again. My medical oncologist told me that if they are this good in July, I will be moved to their long-term survivor program. I was very happy about that.

Also, after the January scans and for the first time since my diagnosis in 2019, I have truly forgotten about cancer and just starting living life in the same normal psychological space as I did before the diagnosis.
Truly wonderful news! Thank you for updating your thread, I read it all the way through. So happy for you!!

Old 04-26-2023, 09:38 PM

537 posts, read 443,275 times
This posting's getting long, so I'll keep it short.

You're very fortunate that your lung cancer was caught when it was. The problem with lung cancer is that it's often Stage IV before it's even discovered--and terminal.

We only had two friends that still smoked into their 70's. Neither had been getting yearly physicals with chest x-rays. They attributed their hacking coughs to be just allergies and post nasal drip.

After the cancer was discovered, both lasted about 6 months.

The moral of the story is to make sure you are getting yearly physicals and that includes chest x-rays. And if you're a smoker, quit.

Old 04-28-2023, 06:02 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
This posting's getting long, so I'll keep it short.

You're very fortunate that your lung cancer was caught when it was. The problem with lung cancer is that it's often Stage IV before it's even discovered--and terminal.

We only had two friends that still smoked into their 70's. Neither had been getting yearly physicals with chest x-rays. They attributed their hacking coughs to be just allergies and post nasal drip.

After the cancer was discovered, both lasted about 6 months.

The moral of the story is to make sure you are getting yearly physicals and that includes chest x-rays. And if you're a smoker, quit.
Thanks for this.

I didn’t clarify this in the OP, but the whole truth is that I received treatment according to a lung cancer protocol and my oncologist discussed my case with others as if I had lung cancer, but I actually had a cancer of unknown primary. So, technically I didn’t have cancer of any particular organ. I had squamous cell carcinoma in three lymph nodes near my trachea, but nothing every found in any organ (and it can’t be cancer of the lymph nodes because that is never squamous cell). The lungs were “chosen” because they were the closest/most likely major organ. And nope, the primary has never been found. Also, I am a never smoked. Not even one cigarette. I have also never lived with a smoker. The entire cancer is a big mystery still …

If you are a smoker, yes, please quit and get yearly physicals.

However, that simply wouldn’t have made sense in my case or for everyone. For me, there was no reasonable way this could have been caught at an earlier stage.

Old 05-03-2023, 08:35 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Thanks for this.

I didn’t clarify this in the OP, but the whole truth is that I received treatment according to a lung cancer protocol and my oncologist discussed my case with others as if I had lung cancer, but I actually had a cancer of unknown primary. So, technically I didn’t have cancer of any particular organ. I had squamous cell carcinoma in three lymph nodes near my trachea, but nothing every found in any organ (and it can’t be cancer of the lymph nodes because that is never squamous cell). The lungs were “chosen” because they were the closest/most likely major organ. And nope, the primary has never been found. Also, I am a never smoked. Not even one cigarette. I have also never lived with a smoker. The entire cancer is a big mystery still …

If you are a smoker, yes, please quit and get yearly physicals.

However, that simply wouldn’t have made sense in my case or for everyone. For me, there was no reasonable way this could have been caught at an earlier stage.
Just a quick note Jill. Lung cancer and prostate cancer are not the same things. However, my FIL was diagnosed at age 57 with stage 4 prostate cancer and told he had less than a year to live. He almost made it to age 75. I think he went into a total remission and ended up dying of a totally different cancer years later.

Best of luck with your own situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer