Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 09:18 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times

Advertisements

Geeze, I didn't mean to kill the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2022, 02:18 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Geeze, I didn't mean to kill the thread.
"long term survival"...check back in a few months.

Old 08-14-2022, 04:41 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I was first diagnosed with cancer in at age 50. Stage III, chemo, radiation, surgery, chemo again.
After all that, I was cancer-free for 5+ years!
In the 6th year, mets to another organ. Surgery, chemo.
Cancer-free for another 6 years!
During a non-cancer-related surgery, they found a few cancer cells, and couldn't tell if they got them all. They recommended radiation, then surgery with radiation, then chemo afterward. I said no thanks because radiation cause some other issues, and every time they do surgery to fix one thing, they cause a new problem. And, of course, they couldn't tell if I actually HAD any more cancer.

It's been 4 years since then. Still no signs of cancer. I'm kind of worried about what's going to happen 2 years from now.

But in the meantime, I'm enjoying life. I don't really expect to make it to 70, but I kind of didn't expect to make it to 60, and here I still am, 16 years after my first diagnosis. I might outlive you all.
Hope you keep going!

Old 09-12-2022, 07:57 AM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Back in the Fall of 2019, I received chemo-radiation with “curative intent” for stage IIIb non-small cell lung cancer. Now, 2 years and 7 months after the end of treatment, I just had another set of “all clear” scans— the 9th in a row! Yay!

It looks like I might up being “cured.” I put “cured” in quotes, because all you need to do is survive 5 years beyond the end of treatment to lay claim to this status. But honestly, for someone in her 50s in a family where the women routinely survive into their late 80s and 90s, five years seems a little like weak tea.

I really want to dream that I might actually be cured — in that I will live 30 to 35 more years and eventually die of something else.

Does anyone know of someone how had an advanced solid tumor cancer, got treatment and then never had a recurrence for decades?

Just curious …
Yes, I do! She had breast cancer in her 40s. She was treated at Sloan Kettering in NYC. She is 69 and cancer free. She still works and she eats a very healthy diet.

The second friend had ovarian cancer that was metastasized. She received very aggressive chemotherapy at MD Anderson Hospital in Texas. She was stage III. She is well now. She was diagnosed 14 years ago. She is 56 now.

Both return every 6 months for checkups. That is vital.

The outlook on cancer has changed drastically, and for the better. While people - medical professionals and patients alike, seldom use the term "cured", they do not think of themselves as "sick" and certainly not dying. They are LIVING with - and BEATING CANCER.

It sounds as though you are doing the same! Wishing you all the best!

Old 09-12-2022, 10:32 AM

6,092 posts, read 3,332,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
"I was told that sugar causes cancer or if you have cancer will feed the cancer cells. Is this true?"

Sugar is not a carcinogenic substance. However, over-consumption of sugar, particularly added sugars in processed beverages and foods, can contribute to obesity which is an important risk factor for cancer. There is no evidence that consuming sugar makes cancer cells grow faster or cause cancer.

The National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) has reviewed all available evidence to update the Australian Dietary Guidelines and concluded that consumption of sucrose is not associated with an increased risk of cancer. There was sufficient evidence to conclude that there was no association between sugars and cancer of the pancreas, bowel, breast and bladder. There was no evidence of a direct association between sugar consumption and an increased risk of cancer of any type.

https://www.cancer.org.au/iheard/doe...r-cause-cancer

I have many such citations because people keep spreading the sugar-feeds-cancer misinformation.

I certainly hope not.
I forgot about this thread, so let me respond now. First of all, I never stated sugar causes cancer, and I don’t believe it does.

What I stated is that after you have it, high sugar consumption will likely cause the cancer to rapidly spread.

I believe that cutting out all sugar after your diagnosis, or greatly reducing it, will end up being a very useful tool in your arsenal to fight cancer.

Old 09-13-2022, 02:58 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I forgot about this thread, so let me respond now. First of all, I never stated sugar causes cancer, and I don’t believe it does.

What I stated is that after you have it, high sugar consumption will likely cause the cancer to rapidly spread.

I believe that cutting out all sugar after your diagnosis, or greatly reducing it, will end up being a very useful tool in your arsenal to fight cancer.
If only it were that simple. Yes, it is true that cancers, like any fast reproducing cell (see, for example, hair follicles, the lining of the GI tract or blood cell precursor cells, for example) are metabolically active and consume energy.

The problem is that sugars are just simple carbohydrates. More complex carbos, such as those in bread, rapidly break down in the body to make, surprise, surprise, sugars. Carb free diet? No problem. Human metabolism will make simple carbs (sugars...) from all sorts of things like stored fats, or worst case, even protein such as muscle.

To get around this problem we attack cancer cells in other, different ways, such as jamming their reproduction. That's what most chemotherapy does, such as I'm taking now. Oncologists look for chemotherapy regimens that selectively target your particular cancer over other cells. Different combinations for different cancers.

Old 09-16-2022, 08:16 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes, I do! She had breast cancer in her 40s. She was treated at Sloan Kettering in NYC. She is 69 and cancer free. She still works and she eats a very healthy diet.

The second friend had ovarian cancer that was metastasized. She received very aggressive chemotherapy at MD Anderson Hospital in Texas. She was stage III. She is well now. She was diagnosed 14 years ago. She is 56 now.

Both return every 6 months for checkups. That is vital.

The outlook on cancer has changed drastically, and for the better. While people - medical professionals and patients alike, seldom use the term "cured", they do not think of themselves as "sick" and certainly not dying. They are LIVING with - and BEATING CANCER.

It sounds as though you are doing the same! Wishing you all the best!

IMO the fact they went to VERY reputable, damned great cancer centers could have had something to do with it.

My hub is 13 years from stage 4 Oral cancer that was in his tonsil, a huge golf ball over his carotid plus at least a dozen lymph nodes in his neck, surgery was first. I took him to Thomas Jefferson in Philadelphia.

You have one shot to get it all or it could spread all over.

I can't count how many oral cancer patients had "recurrences" within the first year or who didn't have surgery first who did not have a good outcome.

My hubs doctor saw tons of cases of oral cancers in a month. I think it was close to 30 per week. He was a busy guy, never the same people in the waiting room either. New people in radiation who were obviously oral cancer patients. This was 2009 before it was a main cancer diagnosed like it is today.

If my benzene exposure turns to AML Leukemia like it got my dad, I'll also be going to Philly. In 2010 or 2011, I met a guy diagnosed the same time as my dad in 2005, my dad lived 8 months, this guy got years. I will probably make the rounds to Jefferson, Penn and the other one or two big names there. My hub bonded with the Jefferson ENT, didn't want to go elsewhere.

Old 09-17-2022, 10:18 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post

No, eating sugar will not make the cancer spread, rapidly or not. Too much sugar can lead to weight gain and obesity, which is a risk factor for certain cancers.

https://www.mdanderson.org/publicati...4-1589835.html

Old 09-25-2022, 09:44 AM

6,092 posts, read 3,332,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No, eating sugar will not make the cancer spread, rapidly or not. Too much sugar can lead to weight gain and obesity, which is a risk factor for certain cancers.

https://www.mdanderson.org/publicati...4-1589835.html
You know, I’ve read a lot of studies on a lot of reputable medical websites that all say the same thing, sugar will not make cancer spread, but I have to say, I’m skeptical.

On one website, they say that certain cancer cells have 10x the receptors for insulin as regular cells. That alone makes me wonder.

But then, assuming you went to a strict keto diet and changed your fuel source from sugar to ketones, again, that makes me wonder, too.

I think there needs to be more studies on this. But I completely understand if someone wants to discredit this theory, because it isn’t in the main stream. Not yet anyway.

Old 04-21-2023, 08:45 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,740 times
Belated update: I had my 6 month scans back in January. They were all clear again. My medical oncologist told me that if they are this good in July, I will be moved to their long-term survivor program. I was very happy about that.

Also, after the January scans and for the first time since my diagnosis in 2019, I have truly forgotten about cancer and just starting living life in the same normal psychological space as I did before the diagnosis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer