Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 04:50 AM

17,665 posts, read 17,817,121 times

Advertisements

New experience yesterday. Large “Carolina Squat” SUV came up behind me at a red light. I could hear his stereo before he stopped. The sound was coming from speakers hidden behind the front grill area. They were connected to the stereo to blast the music outside the vehicle. There are local noise ordinances that would cover such devices but these are rarely ever enforced. I’ve got nothing against the idea of these external speakers but not for public roads. They should be used for things like tailgating for a game or outdoor family event for example. The quality of the sound reminded me of a scene from Dazed and Confused when the seniors drove to the middle school in the truck and used the CB microphone to issue a warning to the freshmen. It sounded like that type of speakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 07:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,710 posts, read 81,563,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
New experience yesterday. Large “Carolina Squat” SUV came up behind me at a red light. I could hear his stereo before he stopped. The sound was coming from speakers hidden behind the front grill area. They were connected to the stereo to blast the music outside the vehicle. There are local noise ordinances that would cover such devices but these are rarely ever enforced. I’ve got nothing against the idea of these external speakers but not for public roads. They should be used for things like tailgating for a game or outdoor family event for example. The quality of the sound reminded me of a scene from Dazed and Confused when the seniors drove to the middle school in the truck and used the CB microphone to issue a warning to the freshmen. It sounded like that type of speakers.
Back in the 70s I had a big speaker behind the grill and it was connected to my CB, so I could use it as a PA system, for events. I go to a lot of car shows and some classics will have a huge sound system in the trunk so they can blast music but only when stationary. Having an external and blasting it on the road is actually illegal in most places but then they are not likely to get caught.

Washington state law has set maximum acceptable decibels to determine acceptable noise levels and states that “No person shall operate any motor vehicle or any combination of such vehicles upon any public highway under any conditions of grade, load, acceleration or deceleration in such a manner as to exceed the maximum permissible sound levels for the category of vehicle in Table I, as measured at a distance of 50 feet”.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:33 AM

421 posts, read 127,265 times
Google "car audio stunt wall" and the images therein. This is something going back to the mini truck days in the '90s with 20+ upward firing speakers in the beds of mini trucks and full size trucks.

Old 05-04-2024, 12:08 PM

19,126 posts, read 27,737,845 times
If a person has nothing else to be recognized by by others, it does something like that. Or, loud exhaust. Or, weird looking modifications.
It's basic "small penis" syndrome expression.

Old 05-04-2024, 12:50 PM

12,609 posts, read 9,745,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Higher trims of the Honda Ridgeline have a truck bed audio system that uses the composite truck bed as the driver. It won't work above 10mph though, and is meant for playing at home or tailgating. The speaker is therefore as rugged as the bed itself - because it is the bed itself, and there is no grill to damage or leak. Some creative thinking here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PGy-lISQfU

Old 05-06-2024, 06:43 AM

421 posts, read 127,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
If a person has nothing else to be recognized by by others, it does something like that. Or, loud exhaust. Or, weird looking modifications.
Wow. Judgemental much?

Old 05-07-2024, 06:20 PM

5,898 posts, read 3,007,221 times
Once the Iq dips too low, the way one seeks attention gets really weird. Have you seen those cars with wheels that have spokes poking out by a foot or two. Complete retardation.

Old 05-09-2024, 12:11 PM

29,667 posts, read 14,776,541 times
Quote:
Odd that you go with a sexual thing first, I'd just say it's horrible taste. Just like the stretched tires on horribly offset wheels. Or the lowered cars with the exaggerated negative camber.

The only legit reason to stretch a tire on a wheel is for drag racing in the small tire classes, or street racing.

https://www.dragzine.com/tech-storie...r-drive-tires/

Old 05-10-2024, 08:20 AM

17,665 posts, read 17,817,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Odd that you go with a sexual thing first, I'd just say it's horrible taste. Just like the stretched tires on horribly offset wheels. Or the lowered cars with the exaggerated negative camber.

The only legit reason to stretch a tire on a wheel is for drag racing in the small tire classes, or street racing.

https://www.dragzine.com/tech-storie...r-drive-tires/
Shops that do rims, tires, and suspension work love these guys with their rubber band tires.

Old 05-10-2024, 08:34 AM

6,858 posts, read 4,309,746 times
Quote:

Well, in one way or another, most people want to be noticed in some way and seen as special, but culturally all the car stuff is definitely a lower class thing (but it's not cheap so it's most potently expressed by lower class people who got money).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive