Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:05 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,694,087 times

Advertisements

He is right norton, you don't exactly see retailers busting their butts to get available properties in South Augusta like you see in West Augusta...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 03:19 PM

614 posts, read 1,100,867 times
Before anyone gets the wrong idea. Golden Corral closing is not the end of the world and that's not what I'm making it out to be. Yes, I know that they're a lot of jobs in South Augusta, but that wasn't what I was talking about. Read my post and you'll see that I'm also referencing the fact that not a lot of anything is going to be built on the southside. Hey, just look at the Regency Mall. That eyesore is going to be there for another decade. No one wants to buy it nor has anyone inquired about the location.

For anyone who thinks that I'm just concerned about Golden Corral, I'm not. It's about the bigger picture. Development of South Augusta and the already available choices of retail/dining/entertainment. Of course if you live on the Southside, you know that there aren't many choices.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:23 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
Uh? Macedonia church was going to buy the old Montgomery Ward. That's just one of the groups who inquired about Regency Mall. No place is adding the huge retail developments(WTP, VAR) like West Augusta. Not any place in the entire metro. Compare South Augusta to other areas in the metro...

You really don't think new restaurants will be built beside? The 300 acre mix-use community near the Augusta Regional aiport...

Colony Plaza went through a $2 million renovation in 2009. The Plaza is also adding 4 acres of new development.... And the cleared lot at richmond hill/windsor spring is going to be sold...
http://www.augustaga.gov/archives/41/dec.%2009.%20pc%20agenda.pdf (broken link)

A new 6,000 sq. ft. retail center is being built. Located at 2558 Windsor Spring road. Between Windsor Spring elementary and Woodlake Subdivision. Will start in the next 1-2 months.
http://appweb.augustaga.gov/planning...y.asp?zID=3980

At the intersection of Windsor Spring/Richmond Hill rd. Owner has spent over $200,000 clearing and grading the property. It is now ready to be built on.
http://www.loopnet.com/property/1535...-Springs-Road/

I seriously doubt Regency Mall will be here for another 10 years.. Especially since 4 million is being pumped into right by.

Besides West Augusta, South Augusta is doing very good versus other places...

Last edited by nortonguy; 05-11-2010 at 03:36 PM..

Old 05-11-2010, 03:33 PM

614 posts, read 1,100,867 times
I'll do exactly what you said Nortonguy. For the sake of things, lets add McBean, Goshen, Hephzibah, Wrens, Waynesboro, and any other rural/non rural town to South Augusta. Now lets begin!

South Augusta compared to Evans/Columbia County.
Evans has Red Robin, Fatz Cafe, Stonecrest Steakhouse, Monterrey, Rhinehart's, Cracker barrel, and Mullins Crossing. Not to mention, I didn't list all the other restaurants and retail that they have and are going to get. Didn't they just build an office park out there too? South Augusta has none of those things.

South Augusta compared to Aiken.
Aiken has a mall, movie theater, o'charley's, etc.
South Augusta has none of those things.

The only positive South Augusta has is jobs. And of course, the people that work in South Augusta don't spend their money in South Augusta.

Here's a bonus. North Augusta has more retail/dining/entertainment options than South Augusta.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:39 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,121 times
Yeah, there is nothing special about South Augusta for the most part. Yeah, manufacturing and jobs is over there...but if you have to work in that area (or worse, live in that area), you realize how bad it is lacking.

As for dining options, Peach Orchard is nothing but a fast food haven with the same to be said of Windsor Spring and the closest area of Gordon Highway. I can hardly think of a restaurant that is either sitdown nice OR that isn't fast food...maybe Sconyers on Windsor Spring and T's on Mike Padgett?

To me, the best place to get food in that whole area is still a decent drive down the road:

Janwiches. One of the metro's best kept secrets. Probably some of the best food for the best price in all of Augusta.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:46 PM

Evans and Aiken are only two places in the metro... North Augusta and Martinez have comparable or a little more choices than South Augusta. But after that South Augusta crushes everybody else....

Compare South Augusta to Grovetown, Waynesboro, Harlem, Edgefield, Thomson, Hephzibah, Blythe, Mcbean, Appling, etc....

South Augusta has a Applebees, Sconyers, T's, T-Bonz, Veracruz, Ryans, Teresa's, Hibachi Grill, Zaxbys, Sonic, Dippin Dots, etc....

Not to mention Villa Euorpa
Home | Villa Europa

Last edited by nortonguy; 05-11-2010 at 04:18 PM..

Old 05-11-2010, 04:04 PM

Hmm?????? According to this article by the chronicle. Neither retail or office space is doing bad in South Augusta compared to other areas in the metro...

The Augusta area in 2009 has a 10.9 percent vacancy in office space, according to the stats Evans got from CoStar Property. He sees the national vacancy rate increasing to 18 percent.

The metro area has 1,008 office buildings with 7.9 million square feet. Doing the worst in vacancy is Martinez and Evans with 17 percent of its office space empty.

The Augusta region has 1,934 buildings in its retail inventory. The vacancy rate in 2009 was 9.6 percent, less than what's been happening nationally. Retail vacancy is hurting McDuffie County(Thomson) and North Augusta the most.

Those areas have the highest vacancy percentages in the region, according to Evans' stats.

Less gloomy on commercial real estate | The Augusta Chronicle

Last edited by nortonguy; 05-11-2010 at 04:15 PM..

Old 05-11-2010, 04:17 PM

Oh give it a rest norty, compared to the other heavily populated places in the metro (North Augusta, West Augusta, Evans/Martinez, and Aiken), South Augusta is virtually a 'dining wasteland'.

Also, give me a break with comparing South Augusta with the the smalltown USA that is Edgefield or Blythe, you'd have better luck comparing an apple to an octopus.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:18 PM

Give it a rest... Because you don't agree with my opinion????

South Augusta's retail and office space is doing good. Compared to most heavily poupulated areas in the metro.

And with a 300 acre mix-use development on the Savannah river, 4 acres of new development at Colony Plaza, a 6,000 retail center on windsor spring, and a 5 acre development on windsor spring road/richmond hill road..

Several new restaurants will be opening in South Augusta..

South Augusta is not that far from Martinez or North Augusta. Aiken and Evans do have more choices...

But Evans, Aiken, North Augusta, and Martinez compared to West Augusta. Are virtually ''retail and restaurant wastelands''....

Surrey Center, Augusta Mall, Augusta Exchange, VAR, WTP, are all in West Augusta...

Old 05-11-2010, 04:21 PM

What? The article simply says that commercial real estate vacancies in the metro isn't that high. Of course there's going to be a low vacancy rate in South Augusta, there's not a lot of space there in the first place. You can have 5 restaurant spaces with 100% occupancy, that might look good on paper, but in reality there's not much actually there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area