Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 12:34 AM

406 posts, read 755,516 times

Advertisements

I came out of retirement in November did that help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2024, 09:22 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
So, some posts here like the OP's say there's a labor shortage, but another said AK has rising unemployment...hich is it?

Is it both? Is there a labor shortage that can't be filled, due to no qualified candidates? And, a bunch of unquaified workers who cant find work?

I guess the average oil royalties of $1,312/resident isn't enough to cover higher costs of living there now?

I've never lived in AK, & visited for the 1st time in May, so I don't have a vested interest, but it is still the USA, and its a beautiful place, w/ rich resources, so I'd like to see it thriving.

I'd be for sending illegals up there to work the fishing fleets, & oil fields...would you?

Old 03-22-2024, 10:06 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
So, some posts here like the OP's say there's a labor shortage, but another said AK has rising unemployment...hich is it?
Link to story indicating rising unemployment?

I suspect the fact that a disproportionate number of jobs are seasonal tends to distort the employment figures for Alaska.

There is most definitely a labor shortage in the state. Police, teachers, tradesmen, you name it.

Illegals in seasonal jobs: Possibly, I don't know. We do tend to get many foreign nationals with legitimate visas already.

Old 03-22-2024, 12:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:

Is it both? Is there a labor shortage that can't be filled, due to no qualified candidates? And, a bunch of unquaified workers who cant find work?

I guess the average oil royalties of $1,312/resident isn't enough to cover higher costs of living there now?

I've never lived in AK, & visited for the 1st time in May, so I don't have a vested interest, but it is still the USA, and its a beautiful place, w/ rich resources, so I'd like to see it thriving.

I'd be for sending illegals up there to work the fishing fleets, & oil fields...would you?
I don't think it's those particular jobs that that are going unfilled to any great extent, at least not by Alaska residents. There are lots of seasonal tourism jobs as well that are mostly held by out-of-staters who then proceed to file for unemployment when the season ends.

This article might be of interest to you:

https://alaskabeacon.com/2023/08/03/...s-report-says/

Old 03-23-2024, 12:19 PM

1,810 posts, read 897,070 times
Quote:

I’d be for sending illegals to Florida to steal jobs and undercut the wages of you and your neighbors.

Old 03-23-2024, 05:44 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,650,286 times
We don't want illegal aliens up here. However, foreign residents on a legal work visa is fine.

Not sure where you heard our unemployment rate went up but there is still a significant labor shortage for many jobs. Our current governor talks about it but has made no meaningful efforts to change the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska