Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 07:03 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytempest View Post
Best hope this doesn't get out. They'll be flooding AK with bidens illegals!
Who is "they"? We need skilled, younger workers. I'd be in favor of fast tracking legal immigrants that could step into some of these positions.

Previously a teacher would need an Alaska teaching certificate to work in state. Perhaps this requirement is being waived, I don't know. Any certificate might suffice. There's no way many retired teachers will be coming back to work, even if they're allowed to double dip with a salary plus a pension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 07:24 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Maybe Alaska should consider offering teachers a pension.

Quote:
JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — Cory Hughes moved to a remote Alaska village to teach and would happily stay and retire there if he could afford to — despite the dark winters and the fact the bathroom for his housing unit in the school’s kindergarten building has a sink that comes to his knees.

But Alaska is the only U.S. state that does not offer teachers a pension, and researchers say teacher pay and benefits have not kept up with other states. Hughes has bought a house in Ohio and he’s wondering how long he can remain in Nunapitchuk, the southwest Alaska village with a population of 525 he has come to love.
https://apnews.com/article/alaska-sc...1ecb85b6715b3d

Old 03-12-2024, 10:25 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
No idea what's going on these days-other than reports like this one:
https://www.webcenterfairbanks.com/2...hird-one-week/

Old 03-13-2024, 06:12 AM

253 posts, read 259,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Who is "they"? We need skilled, younger workers. I'd be in favor of fast tracking legal immigrants that could step into some of these positions.

Previously a teacher would need an Alaska teaching certificate to work in state. Perhaps this requirement is being waived, I don't know. Any certificate might suffice. There's no way many retired teachers will be coming back to work, even if they're allowed to double dip with a salary plus a pension.
Some states are doing exactly this to fill teacher positions and sounds like it has started to work? The apprentices end up with a teachers certificate after a period of time. A good deal for all as long as the kids learn!

Well, it's damn sure not conservatives, the few there are, allowing open borders , bussing, flying these illegals all over the US! Not to mention giving them free health care, well fair and places to live!

Old 03-14-2024, 12:27 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Maybe Alaska should consider offering teachers a pension.

https://apnews.com/article/alaska-sc...1ecb85b6715b3d
Possibly this is in the works. WSJ doesn't think it's a good idea though.

"Unfunded pensions for public workers have become a huge fiscal burden on many states, and the smarter states like Florida have moved to limit future liabilities by moving to defined-contribution plans. That makes it all the more strange that Alaska may risk its future fisc by returning to defined-benefit pensions."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/alaska-...-lYvbstUogCNC4

Old 03-17-2024, 11:06 AM

2,025 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
From today’s Anchorage Daily news:

“The Anchorage School District is hoping to hire back retired teachers to help fill some of its hundreds of vacancies for the upcoming school year. It's the first time the school district has considered hiring retired teachers full time, according to Martin Lang, head of the district's human resources department”

Hundreds!

Good luck with that. I know several retired teachers and ain't know way in heck that they are going back into the classroom.

Old 03-18-2024, 02:54 PM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Pensions are frowned upon because it's impossible to properly manage and there's not enough workers to pay into the pension. Most pensions at some point will need taxpayer or federal assistant to close the gap at some point as most agencies are not offering anymore or hiring enough to pay into the pension.

Old 03-18-2024, 03:48 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Good luck with that. I know several retired teachers and ain't know way in heck that they are going back into the classroom.
I have no idea about the pensions for State workers (teachers, firefighters, etc.), except that the "tier" model has changed to the point where new hires don't receive the benefits of the older and now retired workers. For example Tier II ended in 1995, so any new hires in 1996 could only be in Tier III. By having a pension plan for State worker means that their paychecks are smaller than some other workers in the private sector. In this case the private sector worker receives more $ since his or her paycheck is not being reduced by a pension plan nor health insurance. These are optional benefits that if desired, he or she has to pay for.

But if a person is in relatively good health, "in the short run" he or she can make a lot more money in the private sector than the public sector (state worker). Back in the day when the Alaska Pipeline was being built, State workers left their jobs to work on the Pipeline, made a bunch of money, and much later-some-returned to work for the State.

Old 03-19-2024, 02:42 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
History repeating itself. I got a good government job in the early 70s due to zero unemployment in Alaska. The pipeline sucked all the workers off and other businesses were left with few choices.

Also back then my husband and I were extremely happy to live in a illegally converted double car garage. It has always been hard to find housing.

Old 03-19-2024, 11:11 PM

9 posts, read 5,693 times
Bringing in skilled, younger workers could really help. Fast-tracking legal immigrants for these jobs sounds like a smart move. I'm not sure about the teaching certificate requirement, but if that's being waived, it could open up more opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska