Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:08 PM

4,599 posts, read 2,732,466 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately no one seems to realize that ”The Ugly American” is NOT about an American behaving badly. In fact, the ”Ugly American” of the title is the hero of the book, an American engineer who helps local impoverished people improve their lives; the title comes from the fact that he's physically ugly.

It's like people who can't remember that tying a yellow ribbon around a tree comes from a song by Tony Orlando and Dawn about an EX-CON getting out of PRISON.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:26 PM

19,158 posts, read 25,396,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Unfortunately no one seems to realize that ”The Ugly American” is NOT about an American behaving badly. In fact, the ”Ugly American” of the title is the hero of the book, an American engineer who helps local impoverished people improve their lives; the title comes from the fact that he's physically ugly.
Well, clearly it isn't "no one", as I demonstrated my understanding of this terminology in my earlier post in this thread--as you can see, below. However, I agree with you that the vast majority of the population has completely misunderstood the actual meaning of "Ugly American".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
It's really unfortunate that the OP--like so many people--has completely misunderstood the real meaning behind the term Ugly American.

The novel of the same name, from 1958, depicts the widespread failures of US foreign policy in SE Asia, and it helped lead to JFK's creation of The Peace Corps in order to try to correct these failures. In that novel, the hero--Homer Atkins--is the only American who actually helps the impoverished locals, even though he considers himself to be ugly as a result of his greasy, calloused hands.

Other Americans (as well as outsiders from other nations) failed to understand the natives of SE Asia, and failed to help them, but Atkins--The Ugly American--does help them. I think it's sad that people who have apparently never read that novel--or who failed to understand it--continue to use that term in an entirely inappropriate way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ugly_American

Old Today, 03:56 PM

4,599 posts, read 2,732,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Well, clearly it isn't "no one", as I demonstrated my understanding of this terminology in my earlier post in this thread--as you can see, below. However, I agree with you that the vast majority of the population has completely misunderstood the actual meaning of "Ugly American".
OK, there are two of us. Probably the only two on City-Data that have read the book.

Old Today, 04:48 PM

1,435 posts, read 768,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Unfortunately no one seems to realize that ”The Ugly American” is NOT about an American behaving badly.
Much as "Third World" simply meant not a member of NATO or the old Warsaw Pact, the phrase has been coopted and now has a new meaning. Just the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel