Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 06:26 PM

474 posts, read 265,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
It's really unfortunate that the OP--like so many people--has completely misunderstood the real meaning behind the term Ugly American.

The novel of the same name, from 1958, depicts the widespread failures of US foreign policy in SE Asia, and it helped lead to JFK's creation of The Peace Corps in order to try to correct these failures. In that novel, the hero--Homer Atkins--is the only American who actually helps the impoverished locals, even though he considers himself to be ugly as a result of his greasy, calloused hands.

Other Americans (as well as outsiders from other nations) failed to understand the natives of SE Asia, and failed to help them, but Atkins--The Ugly American--does help them. I think it's sad that people who have apparently never read that novel--or who failed to understand it--continue to use that term in an entirely inappropriate way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ugly_American

Thanks for the education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2022, 06:50 PM

5,121 posts, read 2,170,412 times
And now my nomination for the best travelers. I’ll lump several countries into one region. The Scandinavians are just so cool and pleasant! Fun people to be around.

Old 11-26-2022, 02:19 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,620,423 times
Ugly is the new Human. If my mom needed to run to the corner store, she wouldn't dream of going without stockings, heels,a hat and powdered nose. In a house dress, the clothes line was the perimeter.

It's not an American thing -- shock and punk crept in from all quarters as a seepage of the new world disurder.

I don' remember seeing this in India. But I once saw some Indians trying to wheel in a washing machine on a dolly, as cabin baggage.

Old 11-27-2022, 11:05 AM

25,907 posts, read 12,935,480 times
My guess is Ukranians.

Old 11-28-2022, 12:06 AM

2,325 posts, read 1,542,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
And now my nomination for the best travelers. I’ll lump several countries into one region. The Scandinavians are just so cool and pleasant! Fun people to be around.
I believe that the favourite of the travel industry are the Japanese.

Old 11-28-2022, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
I believe that the favourite of the travel industry are the Japanese.
Sure I can see that! Quiet, humble and respectful goes a long ways. Many nations can learn from the Japanese, that’s for sure. After spending a week with citizens from another country who were the exact opposite of quiet, humble and respectful it makes a big difference!

Old 11-28-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
My guess is Ukranians.
Nope Indians. I just got back from a rather isolated resort filled full of Indians. I’m still a bit shell shocked how bad they were. Thank got Krabi Thailand was beautiful. Wonderful beaches and weather offset their rudeness.

They’ve taken over the crown of worst travelers and my guess is they’ll hold the crown for a very long time.

Old 11-29-2022, 05:10 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,620,423 times
I can.t believe how green I was when I went to places like Syria and El Salvador in 1963. I wanna put a brown paper bag over my head. Other travelers of the time were my benchmarks then, all I knew about.

Of course all travelers were whole different animals then. I see more "ugly" travelers in this forum, than on the road.

Old 12-02-2022, 01:27 PM

2,325 posts, read 1,542,894 times
Reminds me of a discussion we had with our guide when on a tour in China five years ago. We commented that we had enjoyed a live show that was part of the tour program, but that at home we were not allowed to go in and out of shows at will as the locals were doing. Our guide said that it will take the Chinese time to improve manners but it is happening. That even a couple of years earlier people would have loud conversations on their phones in the theatre whereas it was now strictly forbidden and enforced. On that trip we saw long queues for taxis at airports, orderly arrivals at hotels etc. And we found people were spontaneously helpful to us.

So many people in the world are only just getting the opportunity to travel and do not understand the conventions. As our guide said, give them some time.

Old 12-06-2022, 10:58 AM

638 posts, read 595,721 times
I certainly wouldnt say this is particularly new, Thais (who can be pretty racist actually) have always quite disliked indians, and for sure rich ones have a very particular level of entitlement.

However, russians are certainly the new wave of badly behaved tourist particularly in thailand. I recall being in Goa a few years back and seeing all the menus had photos on them, and so did the walls. I asked about that and was told that the russians would order food without knowing what it was, then when it came, said they didnt want it and refuse to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel