Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 08:11 PM

2,451 posts, read 1,679,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Except that no one that thought they were helping spoke from any personal experience. Some folks came with a genuine curiosity and a genuine open mind, and as you can see, some others did not.
I would bet there is little personal experience stories for 2 reasons.

1) Not many people are stupid enough to take illegal drugs into a foreign country.
2) Those dumb enough don't have internet access at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2019, 11:17 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,636,874 times
To the OP: There is no way in hell I would risk doing that.

Kind of off topic, I know it's not another country, but one time me and my girlfriend visited NYC and were at a bar when 2 guys sat next to us and struck up a conversation. After about 10 minutes (they knew we were visiting) out of nowhere they asked us if we had any coke or knew where to get some. Needless to say we told them no and they suddenly lost interest in us. As we were leaving the bar about 30 minutes later we saw them arrest a guy just outside.

Back on topic, if you're travelling outside your normal, comfortable environment never assume that there is any safe way to transport or consume drugs (unless it's legal to do so, and even then you still have to be careful)

Last edited by jburress; 10-19-2019 at 11:27 PM..

Old 10-20-2019, 01:25 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,091,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I would bet there is little personal experience stories for 2 reasons.

1) Not many people are stupid enough to take illegal drugs into a foreign country.
2) Those dumb enough don't have internet access at the moment.
Doubling down when you have no experience here is silly. We understand the legalities and complications IF you're caught with illegal drugs. That being said, no one is EVER going to bust you for putting a few non-descript THC pills in an Advil container and putting it in your suitcase with all of your other toiletries.

People are currently doing this quite frequently in PLENTY of international countries.

I think the only adjective that comes to mind when I contemplate some of the responders: naive.

Old 10-20-2019, 08:22 AM

332 posts, read 286,678 times
That's what we were assuming. That it wasn't much, it's processed; it's not the weed/flower itself. It's the only thing that works for anxiety and sleep. It's not like it's an amount you might find in Trafficking. I appreciate constructive feedback, but not being called stupid. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2019, 01:15 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,428,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiemur View Post
My friend is going to Santiago, Chile and Buenos Aries, Argentina in a few weeks. Hiking in Pategonia. He wants to travel with gummies, is this possible to do in a safe manor? He has a scent trapping bag he got on Amazon.
Why would anyone go to a foreign country with something that is illegal. Being arrested in a foreign country is nothing like being arrested in the US. In the US as a citizen you would most likely not be jailed for more than processing time, in a foreign country you will be lucky to get out in 15 years. Just don't. Not worth the risk even if someone tells you they have done it numerous times all it takes is once to get caught and regret it.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:02 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,519,639 times
Quote:
The overall trend here has been, taper and stop, and don't bring anything with. He doesn't want to stop, but is fine not bringing any with.
No you don't attempt a taper, you seek professional treatment. But you know that..

Old 10-20-2019, 02:37 PM

32,635 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Quote:
Yep. It would be nice to be comfortable when he's on his vacation. It seems you're in the minority Llowllevellowll

Oh yes, and you could follow Llowllevellowll's excellent advice, if only he was the one in charge of all the drug enforcement agencies in South America.

I notice that he doesn't offer to stand in as a substitute and do your jail time for you if it turns out he is wrong.

Old 10-20-2019, 03:35 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,091,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Oh yes, and you could follow Llowllevellowll's excellent advice, if only he was the one in charge of all the drug enforcement agencies in South America.

I notice that he doesn't offer to stand in as a substitute and do your jail time for you if it turns out he is wrong.
I can only speak from personal experience as well as the experiences of others that travel as well. I have some nerd friends that are trying to visit every country in the world by the time they turn 40. I've only been to 22 countries so far, but I've never had any problems. I'd say the biggest hassle I ever had was in Phnom Penh and that over LEGAL medication that I actually had a doctor's letter for. LOL

No, I won't be stepping in and substituting myself if someone walks up to a border agent somewhere and says, HEY I HAVE DRUGS! Is that okay!?

But that's BASICALLY what you'd have to do to get arrested. The people getting in trouble are those looking to traffick drugs, even domestically, to get out of markets where profit levels are extremely low. People are not getting in trouble for taking enough to handle personal use, and that's obvious: because people do it discreetly and in small amounts. It would be virtually IMPOSSIBLE to detect that. I didn't get the impression that the OP was smuggling drugs myself, but I could be wrong.

If you don't know any of the above, then you probably shouldn't be spreading misinformation on internet forums and the only odd things about this whole thing is that I can't decide what people's motivations are for doing so, except that the status quo is comfortable for you? Literally couldn't tell you.

Last edited by llowllevellowll; 10-20-2019 at 03:49 PM..

Old 10-20-2019, 04:22 PM

332 posts, read 286,678 times
The amount is for personal use. Same dose every evening. I've been surprised to see so many negative reactions. We were curious, and really weren't as worried as we are now. I can't imagine, that we're the only travelers who use cannabis.

Old 10-20-2019, 05:22 PM

2,451 posts, read 1,679,952 times
Quote:
That's what we were assuming. That it wasn't much, it's processed; it's not the weed/flower itself. It's the only thing that works for anxiety and sleep. It's not like it's an amount you might find in Trafficking. I appreciate constructive feedback, but not being called stupid. Thanks.
I have not seen a single post calling you stupid.

Quote:
The amount is for personal use. Same dose every evening. I've been surprised to see so many negative reactions. We were curious, and really weren't as worried as we are now. I can't imagine, that we're the only travelers who use cannabis.
There is on person saying it is OK, everyone else is saying don't do it, shouldn't be to hard to figure out.

There are tons of pot head travelers, I am sure many take it with them on a regular basis. Just compare it to drunk drivers. Imagine how many times they got away with it. I personally know several who have done it insane amounts of times. What they all have in common is they are all really really sad when they do get caught.

Roll the dice and please let us know how it turns out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel