Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 12:58 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Thank you, but my housing must be low income SS subsidized. So I must follow my lead from that aspect, and who is accepting applicants. But yes, it has gotten trendier with people moving in.
Have you checked in Mitchell? Overall the cost of living here(not Black Hills area) is WAY cheaper than Oregon.

Low income housing is the town I live in almost all newer immigrants with a few young single women with kids. The elderly have been pushed out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2022, 01:14 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Have you checked in Mitchell? Overall the cost of living here(not Black Hills area) is WAY cheaper than Oregon.

Low income housing is the town I live in almost all newer immigrants with a few young single women with kids. The elderly have been pushed out.
Thanks for the tip. Yes, there are low income apts for the elderly/handicapped there too that I've thought about. Mitchell appears decent. Those apts are owned by the same company which seems like it's well run, Oakleaf. I'm just going to hold off for now, and save more while reading up on places. Thank God for the internet, makes researching so much easier.

Last edited by mlulu23; 02-06-2022 at 01:28 PM..

Old 02-06-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Yes, there are low income apts for the elderly/handicapped there too that I've thought about. Mitchell appears decent. Those apts are owned by the same company which seems like it's well run, Oakleaf. I'm just going to hold off for now, and save more while reading up on places. Thank God for the internet, makes researching so much easier.
Mitchell is a fairly nice little(15,000) town. The hospital is great for the towns size, not a lot of crime, decent shopping, some recreation, and if you need more Sioux Falls is just 70 miles away straight east on I90.

Old 02-06-2022, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Mitchell is a fairly nice little(15,000) town. The hospital is great for the towns size, not a lot of crime, decent shopping, some recreation, and if you need more Sioux Falls is just 70 miles away straight east on I90.
Yes, all good points in it's favor. Thank you. And SF has a good regional airport too that isn't that far away, except in winter. Everything is further in winter, lol. I liked the trails around the lake, very nice. To tie it into the thread, the area does get some intense weather.

I really like this video on hiking the trails around Lake Mitchell, very calming. Maybe get a cheapo kayak, and toodle around the lake. In Colorado the front range would be more likely to get it's thunderstorms in the afternoons. So you would need to be done with the outside fun before the light show began. I guess in SD you would have to be in touch with the weather report to know if heavy weather was coming your way. I've not lived in the Heartland before. I guess living in tornado country takes some getting used to. Colorado got them at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkwKSc7Hy2g

Old 02-08-2022, 09:07 AM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
They sure are huge!!! I'd hate to get hit in the head with one of those, lol. That would either get your attention, or kill you. Those poor cattle when the hail hits, oh my goodness. My cargo van would be living in the body shop. I can't afford that on SS. But I would like the hiking in the Black Hills. Haven't been there yet, but it sounds good. There are actually hiking clubs around there which is exciting to me. I can't find any clubs at all in eastern Oregon where I live now . It's depressing.

That's too bad about Mitchell being a target. They seem to get the extremes of heat, and cold from what I've read.
The storms that create large hail and tornados have a lot in common and local topography can definitely impact that.

There was a hail fatality in the US about 10-15 years ago in Texas where a young fast food worker ran out to their truck and were struck in the head...and there are stories of dead cows caught in hail.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The storms that create large hail and tornados have a lot in common and local topography can definitely impact that.

There was a hail fatality in the US about 10-15 years ago in Texas where a young fast food worker ran out to their truck and were struck in the head...and there are stories of dead cows caught in hail.
True, with the collision of hot, and cold air in those parts. Just one more thing to take into consideration. As the SD governor once said, people don't usually move to SD for the climate, lol.

Old 02-08-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
True, with the collision of hot, and cold air in those parts. Just one more thing to take into consideration. As the SD governor once said, people don't usually move to SD for the climate, lol.
Granted we can easily have week long stretches of 20 below in the winter. We can also get some silly heat waves in the summer at or near 100 with high humidity. Now if you can overlook that we can have some absolutely amazing spring and fall weather.

Old 02-08-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Granted we can easily have week long stretches of 20 below in the winter. We can also get some silly heat waves in the summer at or near 100 with high humidity. Now if you can overlook that we can have some absolutely amazing spring and fall weather.
Fortunately those are my favorite times of the year, spring, and fall. Not the extremes of the other two so much. It's always something. No perfect places.

Old 02-08-2022, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Fortunately those are my favorite times of the year, spring, and fall. Not the extremes of the other two so much. It's always something. No perfect places.
It can be a little cold or hot but it is only really 2 months in the winter and 2 in the summer that can be really bad.

I am so hoping for a early spring as I want to get out and do some camping in around 5 weeks if we are lucky.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:09 PM

Quote:
It can be a little cold or hot but it is only really 2 months in the winter and 2 in the summer that can be really bad.

I am so hoping for a early spring as I want to get out and do some camping in around 5 weeks if we are lucky.

5 weeks kind of puts you at the end of March, more or less. A fickle time frame. Maybe you will get an early spring as we are finally having temps to the upper 40's to around 50 out here, west of you a ways. But that can be deceptive. Sometimes it means a storm is coming in. And sometimes not, lol.

There are a lot of pretty cool extreme winter camping vids on YT that are fun to watch. Russia, and Scandinavia actually have some pretty good ones too, being they are from the land of the north. Maybe you can get some ideas in case the shtf weather wise one more time. Or maybe you already know all this stuff. I myself am a big baby, but I like watching others do it . I hope the weather gives you the break you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls