Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,267 times

Advertisements

TLDR: Can you help my partner and I define what constitutes “dating”?

My partner is someone who has always used cheating as a way out of relationships. We hit a rough patch and she almost did the same thing to me- she had a crush on her supervisor at work who definitely reciprocated those feelings and They started hanging out, texting, talking, flirting.. She invited me out with them a few times (I suspect she either likes the energy dynamic of two guys who are into her at the table together or she was trying to show me I didn’t need to worry about him) and I picked up on the vibe but wasn’t worried.

The trouble started when she lied to Me about going to his house for a massage. I caught her and she came clean. She said she almost cheated on me but stopped herself. After that they continued to hang out one on one behind my back. They’d go for walks together, out for dinner and drinks, hiking, etc. she confided in him about our marriage problems and they talked about his sex life. She showed me text messages of him “struggling to keep his messages appropriate”, talking about how good the hug and back rubbing felt, how his jacket smells like her perfume.

When this all came to light I was pretty upset. I feel like this was an affair even if they didn’t have sex. My wife is insistent it wasn’t an affair and they weren’t going on dates because these are all things that she does or would do with her other single male friends and that all of those guys would have sex with her if she let them so the crush part doesn’t matter either. I confronted the guy, chewed him out and told him exactly what I think of him. He sat back and took it then later complained to my wife about how I spoke to him.

I know it’s petty, but can I get a judgement call here? Was this an affair? Were they dating for those few weeks?

She’s told me that she doesn’t have a crush on him anymore and they still hang out 1 on 1, but now she will tell me when they do. I don’t like it but she’s not someone to care what I think or feel as long as she believes what she’s doing isn’t wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2024, 03:49 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
They're doing what's known as "courting". It's an old term that means two people are dating with the intention of having a sexual relationship.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:50 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Even if they didn’t smash, their behavior was fully inviting it to happen knowing full well you two were in a compromised state in your marriage. That’s just as bad IMO if they had a straight FWB relationship.

Old 03-08-2024, 05:43 AM

9,377 posts, read 8,345,252 times
100% cheating, throw that tram....p to the curb.

Old 03-08-2024, 06:07 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoPDX View Post

When this all came to light I was pretty upset. I feel like this was an affair even if they didn’t have sex. My wife is insistent it wasn’t an affair and they weren’t going on dates because these are all things that she does or would do with her other single male friends and that all of those guys would have sex with her if she let them so the crush part doesn’t matter either. I confronted the guy, chewed him out and told him exactly what I think of him. He sat back and took it then later complained to my wife about how I spoke to him.
What a wuss. He complained to mommy instead of taking responsibility, and changing his ways?

RE: the underlined: why is she hanging out with single male friends who want to have sex with her? Does she understand the concept of a committed relationship? Or she figures, as long as she draws and enforces the line, it's ok? How do you feel about that?

Where is your relationship headed? How long have you been together, and have you talked about what you two want for the future? Do you want a marriage with a bunch of single guys in it who want to have sex with your wife?

Your gf isn't ready for commitment. That should be your takeaway here,IMO. It's not about arguing over the definition of "dating" and "cheating". That is just a distraction from the reality of your relationship. Face the reality and decide whether you want to walk or stay. It sounds like you're not happy about the way things are, so....

Old 03-08-2024, 06:13 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoPDX View Post
She’s told me that she doesn’t have a crush on him anymore and they still hang out 1 on 1, but now she will tell me when they do. I don’t like it but she’s not someone to care what I think or feel as long as she believes what she’s doing isn’t wrong.
The whole first part of your post is a huge problem, but the bolded is major. You're saying that your partner ignores your feelings and doesn't care how her behavior affects you. Why are you with such a person?

Old 03-08-2024, 06:20 AM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The whole first part of your post is a huge problem, but the bolded is major. You're saying that your partner ignores your feelings and doesn't care how her behavior affects you. Why are you with such a person?
Chat bots aren't picky, LOL.

Old 03-08-2024, 06:21 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Yes, this is cheating. They are having an emotional affair that has become intimate and physical, because of the massage and being alone together. Sex is a minor detail when these boundaries have already been crossed.

For your sanity, it’s time to move out and legally separate from her. She doesn’t care about your marriage or your feelings any more.

Old 03-08-2024, 06:27 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Chat bots aren't picky, LOL.
It's early--didn't notice the one-post wonder until too late

Old 03-08-2024, 06:52 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
On 2nd thought, she probably lied and already slept with him..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships