Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 10:27 AM

13,715 posts, read 12,459,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I am not trying to be difficult or argumentative, but I think it IS bigger than that.

It's like littering: "I just don't want to be bothered, what's the problem with throwing one small piece of paper on the ground?"

In both cases, someone's comfort, in isolation, will not make a huge impact on the world, but if everyone has the same mindset, 8 Billion on earth, or 1 Million-ish in the triangle area, and they all want to spray their entire yard for "comfort", then yeah, it really does impact things, just like if every person only threw one piece of trash out their window each day. It adds up.
Your logic could be applied to lots of things.

If everybody in the Triangle went out to Jordan lake and kept a limit of crappies, there wouldn't be any more. But not everyone fishes, and not every fisherman keeps all their fish, and of those that do they don't all regularly keep their limit. Eating a steak dinner. If all 8 billion people ate steak dinner regularly that's not sustainable. But I eat steak, and not every week, probably once a month if that, and I'm not going to buy that my meat consumption is doing notable environmental harm.

If everyone sprayed their yard regularly then it might be a problem depending on what was applied, in what concentration, and in what manner. But everyone doesn't spray their yard and not everyone that does it does it regularly. Some people in the triangle don't have much of a yard. Some people don't spend time outside. Some people have drier lots in windier spots. Some people don't want to pay for it. Some people like the propane mosquito traps. Some people like Thermacells. Some people prefer bug spray.

I haven't sprayed my yard in a few years. I made some landscaping changes, and more helpfully a neighbor did too, that greatly reduced them. But, if I were hosting a memorial day cookout that followed a very wet period, I might do it again.

But more certainly, I'm not going to judge a neighbor if they spray their yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 02:44 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,926,248 times
Been using these services for years. They sorta work, but also kill too many other beneficial species like bees, so I'm not doing it any more.

I recently tried these small pods that are rechargeable from ThermaCell and they seem to work really well, better than I expected actually. I think I may buy their "whole yard" system if I can find someone to help me install it.

Old 04-11-2024, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Been using these services for years. They sorta work, but also kill too many other beneficial species like bees, so I'm not doing it any more.

I recently tried these small pods that are rechargeable from ThermaCell and they seem to work really well, better than I expected actually. I think I may buy their "whole yard" system if I can find someone to help me install it.
I know thermacell makes a patio model or something but I haven’t tried it, I’m sure it works well. They use allethrin, a pyrethroid like the spraying companies. Actually it’s the same thing used in raid. But I don’t think it kills much unless it lands on the housing. I do use the original one and I can be hunting in a swamp in 80 degree weather where they’d normally carry me away and not be bothered.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:27 AM

11,226 posts, read 8,315,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post

Good info, I like the idea of just dousing the area that I need, and nothing more. My wife suffers from Mosquitos so I'll let her know about this one.

...and yes, to each their own. Not trying to tell others what to do, but I think it's good for people to have the discussions, and then make informed decisions, whatever they may be. Nothing but love here. :-)

Old 04-23-2024, 06:24 AM

77 posts, read 32,503 times
Been using Mosquito Joe and I just call whenever I want them to come. It's very easy to set up and they just bill automatically. It's around $85 a treatment. I still see bees working around the yard, but I'll monitor.

Saw some fat bees that I've been trying to figure out if they are carpenter bees vs bumblebees - I'll need to take a closer look. I know carpenter bees are still pollinators, but I don't have time for house damage. Don't care if those go away.

Old 04-29-2024, 12:01 PM

4,567 posts, read 3,767,298 times
For those who are curious, called Mosquito Joe and the chemical they use is:

Brand name Bifen - bifenthrin is the generic name. It is used to kill many insects and found in broad spectrum insecticides. If you want the gnat-killing open, they mix in imidicloprid into the fogger tank and spray it. Imicloprid is one of the most widely used pesticides in the world.

Old 04-29-2024, 12:30 PM

183 posts, read 97,759 times
A 2015 study by American Bird Conservancy and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health has found bird- and bee-killing insecticides in nearly every food eaten by the nation’s Senators, Representatives, and others who dine in the cafeterias of the United States Congress. Read the report.

https://abcbirds.org/program/pesticides/

Old 04-29-2024, 12:43 PM

334 posts, read 189,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN56T View Post
A 2015 study by American Bird Conservancy and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health has found bird- and bee-killing insecticides in nearly every food eaten by the nation’s Senators, Representatives, and others who dine in the cafeterias of the United States Congress. Read the report.

https://abcbirds.org/program/pesticides/

I hope it works on politicians too

Old 04-29-2024, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laniakea2MASS View Post
Been using Mosquito Joe and I just call whenever I want them to come. It's very easy to set up and they just bill automatically. It's around $85 a treatment. I still see bees working around the yard, but I'll monitor.

Saw some fat bees that I've been trying to figure out if they are carpenter bees vs bumblebees - I'll need to take a closer look. I know carpenter bees are still pollinators, but I don't have time for house damage. Don't care if those go away.
I've always thought bumblebees were carpenter bees. Those are easy to trap though. Also you can hang a paper bag stuffed full of paper or whatever and hung from the eves the carpenter bees see it as a wasp nest and avoid the area.

Old Today, 02:26 PM

599 posts, read 333,794 times
If you have standing water on your property, mosquito dunks work and only kill mosquitoes (more specifically, their larvae in the water). You can even put a piece of one in a bird bath and they don't harm the birds. They also make Mosquito Bits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary